[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS printer preference question

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (09/10/88)

Hello, all!

  Today's question is about AmigaDOS printer selection/
customization.  To wit, in Preferences, clicking "Change Printer"
brings up a screenful of printer control options, one of which is
a scrollable list of name-brand printers supported by the system.
Several questions arise in my mind as I attempt to get my
computer and printer to "make nice."

  1) Is it possible to create a NEW printer-type selection, or to
EDIT an existing one?  If so, how would I go about it?

  2) I want to use the same printer on my Amiga as on another computer;
however, the other computer wants "automatic LF on CR" to be ON, and
the Amiga currently wants it OFF.  The Amiga is much more
"configurable," as a rule, than the other system, therefore I would
like to set the printer to auto-LF ON, and tell the Amiga to
accommodate this change.  The only printer parameter I need to change
is auto-LF, but there is no setting for this in Preferences.  I feel
that this should be a simple matter of telling the system that explicit
LF's are not needed, but I don't know how to do the "telling."
Suggestions?

  3) If I do succeed in matter #2, does anyone know offhand whether
the change will have any effect on printing from WordPerfect (v4.1)?  I
don't absolutely need to know, as I can work it out by experiment, but
if someone knows FOR SURE whether WP is "subject to" the settings of
Preferences...

  Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

 Chris Chiesa
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (09/14/88)

In article <3892@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
>  2) I want to use the same printer on my Amiga as on another computer;
>however, the other computer wants "automatic LF on CR" to be ON, and
>the Amiga currently wants it OFF.

I encountered this problem when sharing my Epson FX-85 between my Amiga
and a TRS-80 Model 4 (ah, memories of the good ol' days!).  My solution
was to take advantage of a pin on the parallel connector of the Epson.
(I can look up the pin # if someone needs it.)

On the FX-85, at least, (I don't know how standard this pin is) if the
"auto line feed" switch is turned OFF, the printer will look at the
auto-line-feed pin on the Centronics connector.  Therefore, you can
make two different cables, one of which has that pin connected to
ground (which will activate auto-line-feed).  Since you need to unplug
cables anyway, this makes it all automatic.

I also made a cable with a switch right on the connector, effectively
replacing the internal dipswitch with a convenient external switch.
That was useful for switching between two OS's on the TRS-80 which had
different newline conventions.  But the dual cables were the solution
for swapping the two computers.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

	.		.		(In Real Life: Mike Ditto)
.	    :	       ,		ford@kenobi.cts.com
This space under construction,		...!ucsd!elgar!ford
pardon our dust.			ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com