[comp.sys.amiga] 40 Meg Hard Drive

jdp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jim Pritchett) (09/09/88)

Someone recently posted a query about a 40 Meg half-height drive for the A2000.
Well, I can't vouch for the drive itself, but a local store called Soft Warehouse
is selling the Seagate ST-251 drives for $359 (at least they were the last time
that I saw one of their ads.)  This is a half-height, 40 Megabyte drive with
an average access time of about 40 milliseconds.  There is a faster version,
called the ST-251-1 that runs a 28 milliseconds, but it costs somewhere around
$100 (a guesstimate) more.  I have heard that it is a good drive, but I've
never used one.

     Also, I have a question for the experienced hard drive users out there.  I
can get a 40 Meg, 28 ms, 3.5 inch drive for approximately the same price as a
65 Meg, 40 ms, 5.5 HH drive.  (i.e. Seagate ST-277N vs ST-157N)  Which drive
would you recommend for use with the A2000 / A2090?  Does the added access
speed outweigh the additional storage space?  (I really dont need the extra
space now, but you never have enough disk space...)  What do you think?

                                    Thanks,
                                             Jim Pritchett
                                             killer!jdp     or
                                             killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

P.S.  Has anyone seen a better price for the ST-277N or ST-157N than about $700?

thad@cup.portal.com (09/12/88)

I have both an ST157N and several ST251 (w/Adaptec 4000A SCSI translator)
drives, among others, connected to my system.  The ST157N is the MLC-0 part
(40mS) as are the ST251 drives.  Without question, the ST157N outperforms
the ST251 drives.  Significantly.

In general, the embedded SCSI controller drives really scream (even with 1.2).

Another example: Maxtor XT-3380 embedded SCSI is consistently averaging over
55KBytes/sec vs. the Maxtor XT-2190 (with Adaptec 4000A) getting ~42KBytes/sec.

tests conducted under 1.2 (with a Supra 4x4 host adapter on an A1000) using
DiskPerfA and AutoTest.

The ST157N is available in Silicon Valley for "around" $600 if memory serves;
the local Amiga dealer (HT Electronics) carries that and the ST138N in stock.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

docp@ndmath.UUCP (Doc Pierce-Purdue) (09/13/88)

In article <5449@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, jdp@killer (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>would you recommend for use with the A2000 / A2090?  Does the added access
>speed outweigh the additional storage space?  (I really dont need the extra
>space now, but you never have enough disk space...)  What do you think?
    Right now, I would not recommend the ST157N for the A2000/A2090, I
have been trying to get one working for awhile, but apparantly there are
some problems (someone has told me the solution is on People Link, but have
yet to see) getting a 157N to work with a 2090...  That could be resolved
real soon though if I ever get on People Link...  Anyone else know?

>Has anyone seen a better price for the ST-277N or ST-157N than about $700

    Yea, sure do...   Try, Burkat Computer Center in South Bend, IN...  Phone
number 219-287-3344...  Going price for one of those there is around $600...

    -Craig Norborg
    iuvax!ndmath!docp

dosa@suned1.UUCP (Michael Dosa) (09/14/88)

Hard Drives International 1208 E. Broadway Rd. #110 Tempe AZ 85282 800-234-
DISK has the ST277N for $469.00 + $9.00 s/h. I ordered mine today. I have also
done business before with HDI, nothing to complain about.

					Michael

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (09/15/88)

In article <1214@ndmath.UUCP> docp@ndmath.UUCP (Doc Pierce-Purdue) writes:
>In article <5449@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, jdp@killer (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>>Has anyone seen a better price for the ST-277N or ST-157N than about $700
>.........  Going price for one of those there is around $600...

I got my ST277N (65M 40ms SCSI) from FirstStop Computer Co. (800-832-4322)
for $437 in July.  With UPS, the total to me was $442.  Careful use of
Computer Shopper led me there.

-scott