[comp.sys.amiga] Leo's Flame at Marketroids

plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (09/14/88)

Even at 2 AM, under deadline pressure, Leo, you're right on target.  To
sell millions of Amigas, Commodore has to have an Image, capital I.  We
all have personal images of Apple, IBM, Compaq, Atari, even of my
employer.  All were put there very carefully by the marketroids from
each company.  And it wasn't just through advertising.  But what is the
general computer buying public's image of Commodore?  If any?

Now the trade and general press are starting to call the Mac II a
perfect platform for desktop video.  Geez, why doesn't C-A marketing
jump on it?  Here is _the_ application to propel Amy to millions of
units sold.  And what do we get?  Print ads in video magazines.

At the risk of bringing back last year's "great ads are simple"
discussion, here are a couple of ideas which illustrate Commodore's
corporate and technical strong points.  Imagine live-on-tape
commercials, graphics all by Amy, a little improvised feel.

+++

Advertisement number 1:

ANNOUNCER: [Standing in front of an Amiga 500, VCR and monitor.]  What
does it cost to get into desktop video production?  Our competitors say,
spend five, ten, fifteen thousand dollars or more.  We say, take this
$800 Amiga 500, plug this composite video adapter into the computer and
your VCR [plugs cable into VCR], and start your program.

[Clicks on icon.  CUT to VCR output.  Program runs awhile while
announcer describes features.]

ANN:  Didn't get that?  [Fast rewind VCR on-screen, then forward again.
Announcer describes more features.]  The Commodore Amiga -- complete
desktop video systems from about $1500.

+++

Advertisement number 2:

ANNOUNCER:  Here's desktop video for your budget with the Commodore
Amiga.  Here's what you get for $1500...
[Demonstrate capabilites of A500 setup.]

Here's what you can do for $3500...
[More sophisticated effects using A2000.]

And here's what you can create for $5500...
[Killer live action-graphics-animation mix]

These are complete prices including hardware and software.  Cameras,
VCRs, and musical instruments sold separately.  All the images in this
commercial were created using Amigas and products available today.
Write to us and we'll tell you exactly how we did it.

+++

Now, compare these sketches with the rising-from-the-mist commercial
shown several months ago.  What Images of C-A does each create?

The booklet mailed to people who answer Advertisement 2 could include
lists of products used, setup and cabling diagrams, short step-by-step
descriptions of the process, and a price list for the products in each
of the three setups.  Even though many readers wouldn't understand a lot
of it, think of the import of a pamphlet that tells how _one person_ can
duplicate a network TV ad using affordable equipment.  What Image of the
Amiga does this create?

We techies, as Leo says, look at the other boxes and realize how little
there is inside to justify their reputations.  But why are the Commodore
marketeers so afraid to try something creative, like image-oriented ads,
events, seed units to Big Names, commissioned projects, exposure to the
press?  Not all these things require big bucks.  Is it really _that hard_?

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%nac.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Disclaimer:  These opinions are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer.

In article <8809131652.AA03961@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>At the risk of bringing back last year's "great ads are simple"
>discussion, here are a couple of ideas which illustrate Commodore's
>corporate and technical strong points.  Imagine live-on-tape
>commercials, graphics all by Amy, a little improvised feel.
>+++
>Advertisement number 1:
>[ ... ]
>ANN:  Didn't get that?  [Fast rewind VCR on-screen, then forward again.
>Announcer describes more features.]  The Commodore Amiga -- complete
>desktop video systems from about $1500.

	Not bad, but a little flat.

>Advertisement number 2:
>[ ... ]
>[Demonstrate capabilites of A500 setup.]
>[More sophisticated effects using A2000.]
>[Killer live action-graphics-animation mix]
>[ ... ]
>Write to us and we'll tell you exactly how we did it.

	I had a slightly similar idea, only it went something like this
(sorry to annoy you all with this, but my imagination cook up nonsense like
this almost all the time):
--------
[ On-screen blitz of graphics by Allen Hastings, Steve Segal, Tracy
McSheery, Louis Markoya, Eric Daniels, Eric Graham, et al.  Perhaps a Sonix
score running in the background.  Voice over, with long pauses to fill out
to 30 seconds. ]

VOICE OVER:  All these dazzling computer graphics were created on a system
	costing less than $3000.  [pause]  Want to know how we did it?

[ Music builds to climax and stops dead.  Screen shows toll-free 800 number
in a respectable font on a black background.  The Amiga checkmark sits in a
hollow white box just to the left of the number.]

VOICE OVER:  Call us.
--------

	Another idea I had of late was:

--------
[ SPOKESPERSON is a respectable-looking type of person who may or may not be
wearing a cape (hint, hint...), who is standing in front of a black
background.  S/he holds up a slick-looking document in one hand. ]

SPOKESPERSON:  This is a quarterly report.  Businesses of all sizes publish
	these from time to time.  They contain graphs, charts,
	illustrations, tables, and narrative text.  And more and more
	businesses are turning to the Apple Macintosh to create reports of
	this kind.  Now, we here at Commodore, even though we compete with
	Apple, have to reluctantly admit that the Macintosh is an excellent
	tool for generating this kind of report.  We would, however, be very
	grateful if you would take a moment to ask yourself a question.
	Which report would you be more inclined to spend time with:  The one
	Apple can help you create...

[ SPOKESPERSON holds up VHS video cassette in other hand. ]

	...or the one we can help you create?

[ Fade in Amiga logo.  Hold.  Fade to black. ]
--------

>The booklet mailed to people who answer Advertisement 2 could include
>lists of products used, setup and cabling diagrams, short step-by-step
>descriptions of the process, and a price list for the products in each
>of the three setups.  [ ... ]

	This could be sent to people who call the toll-free number.

	Just ideas floating around in my head...

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (09/16/88)

In article <7112@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> In article <8809131652.AA03961@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
> >At the risk of bringing back last year's "great ads are simple"
> >discussion, here are a couple of ideas which illustrate Commodore's
> >corporate and technical strong points.  Imagine live-on-tape
> >commercials, graphics all by Amy, a little improvised feel.
> >[ ... ]
> 	I had a slightly similar idea, only it went something like this
> --------
> [ SPOKESPERSON is a respectable-looking type of person who may or may not be
> wearing a cape (hint, hint...), who is standing in front of a black
> background.  S/he holds up a slick-looking document in one hand. ]
> SPOKESPERSON:  This is a quarterly report.  Businesses of all sizes publish
> 	these from time to time.  They contain graphs, charts,
> 	illustrations, tables, and narrative text.  And more and more
> 	businesses are turning to the Apple Macintosh to create reports of
> 	this kind.  Now, we here at Commodore, even though we compete with
> 	Apple, have to reluctantly admit that the Macintosh is an excellent
> 	tool for generating this kind of report.  We would, however, be very
> 	grateful if you would take a moment to ask yourself a question.
> 	Which report would you be more inclined to spend time with:  The one
> 	Apple can help you create...
> [ SPOKESPERSON holds up VHS video cassette in other hand. ]
> 	...or the one we can help you create?
> [ Fade in Amiga logo.  Hold.  Fade to black. ]
> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
> Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

It's an interesting tack, and it's probably the hot new thing
I've missed... but how do you do a video business presentation?
Animations of pie charts exploding?  Graphs growing?  I mean,
I'm not being critical, but I've never seen an example of such
a beast - what would be presented in a video format as opposed
to paper, in a business environment?  Has anybody here ever
seen or made such a bizvid?

Robin LaPasha

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP
ruslan@uncecs.edu