[comp.sys.amiga] A2090 Question

ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) (11/26/87)

!! WANTED !! A2090 SCSI Controller Card for A2000

Dear CATS-People,

I've bought a 60 MB Seagate SCSI drive which is now lying around in a
corner of my room. Yesterday I visited an Amiga dealer in Basle
(i'm living in Switzerland :-) ).The answer was, (and now listen..)
that a harddisk can only be connected to the A2000 with the bridgeboard.
(I couldn't help laughing...). They looked very surprised when I talked
about the controller card. A call to Commodore Switzerland couldn't
also help me, they don't know about the date the card will be available.

But I'm getting rid of this harddisk standing around in a corner doing
nuffin !!!

My questions are:

- How and where can i get this controller card as soon as possible ?
- Is there no problem to connect my 60 MB SCSI drive to it ?
- Is it possible to boot from HD with your controller ?

 Thanx
       Anne

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (11/30/87)

In article <4533@well.UUCP> ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) writes:

>!! WANTED !! A2090 SCSI Controller Card for A2000
>
>Dear CATS-People,
>
>My questions are:
>
>- How and where can i get this controller card as soon as possible ?

   Sorry im not of much help here (in the US) yet alone where your at.

>- Is there no problem to connect my 60 MB SCSI drive to it ?

   No problem. One thing though - the largest partition we currently support
   is (rounded) 50 MB. So you will need 2 partitions, sizes of your choice.

>- Is it possible to boot from HD with your controller ?

   Not with the A2090. If you wait for the A2090A (and with the delivery
   problems your having, you just might) you can boot from HD.

> Thanx
>       Anne

  Your Welcome

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (12/01/87)

In article <2876@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>In article <4533@well.UUCP> ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) writes:
>>- Is it possible to boot from HD with your controller ?
>
>   Not with the A2090. If you wait for the A2090A (and with the delivery
>   problems your having, you just might) you can boot from HD.
>>
>> Thanx
>>       Anne
>>
>  Your Welcome
>
>--
>   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein

I hate to ask the inevitable question, but...what is a 2090A?  How much more
will it cost?  Will there be an upgrade from the 2090 to the 2090A?  When
will it be available?  I was going to get a 2090 from CMO but I'd like to
find out about this first.

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak                        |  Cogito
 Via Internet:	mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu              |     Ergo
 Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ronin.cc.umich.edu!mike   |        Zoom!

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (12/02/87)

In article <2876@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:

>   Not with the A2090. If you wait for the A2090A (and with the delivery
>   problems your having, you just might) you can boot from HD.

Just a thought, but since the A1000 --> A2000 trade-in is so successful
could we have an A2090 --> A2090A trade-in?

(Yes, and I try to squeeze blood from turnips, but I figure its worth a
try)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (01/09/88)

     I am quite puzzled by the behaviour of my new A2090 hard disk controller
card.  Whenever I write to the disk, about two seconds later the disk is
accessed again.  This I take it is the Disk Validator (DV) in action.  So far
so good.  What is bothering me is that when the DV is doing whatever it does
the display freezes.  Nothing is drawn to screen.  This lasts for only a
second but is quite anoying.  Is this normal, i.e am I going to have to learn
to live with it?  Perhaps a CATS person could explain it to me.  By the way, I
have a B2000 rev 4.2, 3 Megs of memory, 2 floppies, and one ST506 hard disk.
Thanks.

Stephe

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (01/11/88)

In article <4938@well.UUCP> sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:

>     I am quite puzzled by the behaviour of my new A2090 hard disk controller
>card.  Whenever I write to the disk, about two seconds later the disk is
>accessed again.  This I take it is the Disk Validator (DV) in action.  So far
>so good.  What is bothering me is that when the DV is doing whatever it does
>the display freezes.  Nothing is drawn to screen.  This lasts for only a
>second but is quite anoying.  Is this normal, i.e am I going to have to learn
>to live with it?  Perhaps a CATS person could explain it to me.  By the way, I
>have a B2000 rev 4.2, 3 Megs of memory, 2 floppies, and one ST506 hard disk.
>Thanks.
>
>Stephe
There are 2 cases where the disk can be accessed after you have done a write
to a file.  In the first case, it is the Filesystem that's doing the write.
When you open a new file and write to it, the bitmap on disk is invalidated.
After 3 seconds, if no more disk requests have been made, the filesystem will
write the rootblock and affected bitmap blocks back to disk.  There's no point
writing them if there is still disk activity going on, hence the 3 second
timeout.  Actually, this brings to mind a word of warning, don't reboot your
amiga within 3 seconds of writing to your hard disk unless you want to wait
yonks for the validator to fix up the bitmap.

The second case occurs at the driver level.  Remember that question during
prep "Do you want the heads parked after 3 seconds of inactivity?".  I ALWAYS
answer no to this prompt.  This option does exactly what you would think but
achieves it in a strange manner.  I don't think the driver busy waits to
seek the head to the park cylinder, but I do think it sends individual seek
commands for each track.  The interrupt overhead for this operation is quite
high and a large number of interrupts happen before the seek is completed.
Since hddisk.device runs at a higher priority than the normal CLI processes,
you will be locked out until this operation is complete.  So, I think it is
this feature that is biting (and annoying) you.  I know it's a drag, but you
will probably have to re-prep and reformat your drive to turn off the head
parking feature.

	Steve

alex@.UUCP (Alex Laney) (01/19/88)

In article <4938@well.UUCP>, sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:

>      I am quite puzzled by the behaviour of my new A2090 hard disk controller
> card.  Whenever I write to the disk, about two seconds later the disk is
> accessed again.  This I take it is the Disk Validator (DV) in action.  So far

When you "prep" the disk, you can set up auto-parking at 3 seconds of
inactivity. So my disk does this as well. So I don't think it is the DV.
How did you "prep"?

> so good.  What is bothering me is that when the DV is doing whatever it does
> the display freezes.  Nothing is drawn to screen.  This lasts for only a
> second but is quite anoying.

I don't get this behaviour. I have a similar system. I have the latest
"hddisk.device" from Commodore, though.

--
Alex Laney   alex@xicom.UUCP   ...utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!xicom!alex
Xicom Technologies, 205-1545 Carling Av., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

ray@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) (09/14/88)

I have an A2090 (I am waiting for my ST-251N to arrive!!).  I have noticed
something about the 50-Pin SCSI connecter on the card - that there are
really only 48 pins!  That is because the 2 pins on about row 7 (counting from
the bottom) are sheared off at the base of the connector.  Do I have a
defective card, or is this the way the card comes?

Thanks.
--
Ray Tripamer

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (09/15/88)

In article <925@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) writes:

>I have an A2090 (I am waiting for my ST-251N to arrive!!).  I have noticed
>something about the 50-Pin SCSI connecter on the card - that there are
>really only 48 pins!  That is because the 2 pins on about row 7 (counting from
>the bottom) are sheared off at the base of the connector.  Do I have a
>defective card, or is this the way the card comes?
>
>Thanks.

The empty row should be in the center (i.e., row 13).

  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) (09/16/88)

>/ hpdml93:comp.sys.amiga / ray@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) /  5:19 pm  Sep 13, 1988 /

>I have an A2090 (I am waiting for my ST-251N to arrive!!).  I have noticed
>something about the 50-Pin SCSI connecter on the card - that there are
>really only 48 pins!  That is because the 2 pins on about row 7 (counting from
>the bottom) are sheared off at the base of the connector.  Do I have a
>defective card, or is this the way the card comes?
Since I remember seeing two pins missing on my 2090 board, I assume that
these are missing on purpose.  They are probably for keying, and are N.C.
(No Connection).
--
Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)