[comp.sys.amiga] Boycott Apple Again

daniel@island.uu.net (Dan Smith) (09/13/88)

	A while back, when Apple decided to sue Microsoft and HP, I made
a posting with the subject "Boycott Apple". Now they've done something
that's very likely to upset a lot of people again...

	They raised prices...not just a little bit, but substantially:

			old	new	change
	Mac II		3769	4869	29.1%
	Mac SE		2769	3169	14.4%
	Mac Plus	1799	1799	-
	IIgs		999	1149	15.0%
	IIgs mem exp	129	229	77.5%

	I thought this was an industry where prices kept going down, and
features kept going up. On top of that, Apple is supposed to release
a new Mac on Monday. How much is *that* going to be?

	In between IBM's bumbling of just about everything in sight (it's
going to be an MCA future, but wait! here's a new AT!), Apple's greed,
Atari's sort-of-ok acceptance, and Commodore shooting themselves in the
foot, the calf, the knee, etc, with mismarketing the Amiga, I just
don't know...I think I'll save up for a Sun ;-)

				dan

--
DanSmith IslandGraphics 4000CivicCenterDr SanRafael MarinCo CA 94903 4154911000
daniel@island.uu.net {ucbvax!ucbcad,sun,well,unicom,mcvax!uunet}!island!daniel

mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (09/15/88)

> 	In between IBM's bumbling of just about everything in sight (it's
> going to be an MCA future, but wait! here's a new AT!), Apple's greed,
> Atari's sort-of-ok acceptance, and Commodore shooting themselves in the
> foot, the calf, the knee, etc, with mismarketing the Amiga, I just
> don't know...I think I'll save up for a Sun ;-)

After cleaning up Sun's code, dealing with thier equipment et al ...
I would not recommend a Sun to my worst enemy.  They have had some
good ideas, but thats about it.

mtr

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (09/16/88)

In article <358@island.uu.net>, daniel@island.uu.net (Dan Smith) writes:
> 	A while back, when Apple decided to sue Microsoft and HP, I made
> a posting with the subject "Boycott Apple". Now they've done something
> that's very likely to upset a lot of people again...
>

> 	In between IBM's bumbling of just about everything in sight (it's
> going to be an MCA future, but wait! here's a new AT!), Apple's greed,
> Atari's sort-of-ok acceptance, and Commodore shooting themselves in the
> foot, the calf, the knee, etc, with mismarketing the Amiga, I just
> don't know...I think I'll save up for a Sun ;-)
DanSmith IslandGraphics 4000CivicCenterDr SanRafael MarinCo CA 94903 4154911000

Go ahead, save those dollars and buy a SUN, they just raised their prices
too. So getting a SUN station, will cost you another $1000 or more too.
(BTW what software you going to use on this SUN thats reasonably priced)

I think this is funny, everyone has known for a long time that prices in
the Electronics industry have been going up, how long do you think that
Companies are going to continue to absorb these costs before doing just
what Apple, SUN, and many other companies just did "raise prices".

Norm Goodger
3Com
Sysop - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (09/16/88)

In article <358@island.uu.net> daniel@island.uu.net (Dan Smith) writes:

 > [complains of Apples increased prices]
 >
 >	I thought this was an industry where prices kept going down, and
 > features kept going up. On top of that, Apple is supposed to release
 > a new Mac on Monday. How much is *that* going to be?

Have you tried to buy any RAM chips recently Dan?

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!philabs!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) (09/17/88)

In article <626@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
> > 	In between IBM's bumbling of just about everything in sight (it's
> > going to be an MCA future, but wait! here's a new AT!), Apple's greed,
> > Atari's sort-of-ok acceptance, and Commodore shooting themselves in the
> > foot, the calf, the knee, etc, with mismarketing the Amiga, I just
> > don't know...I think I'll save up for a Sun ;-)
> After cleaning up Sun's code, dealing with thier equipment et al ...
> I would not recommend a Sun to my worst enemy.  They have had some
> good ideas, but thats about it.
Yes, AmigaDOS has less bugs than SunOS 4.0 indeed. And new Sun releases
come out about as quickly as Amiga software releases anyways - and the
most well known bugs don't get fixed.

Sun's right hand seems to have a problem with chopping of it's left hand
as far as I hear - somewhat alongs what C-A did awhile back..
 <tdr.