[comp.sys.amiga] An Amiga in every home

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (09/14/88)

Why do Amiga owners want the whole world to own an Amiga?
Ego massage?  Purchase justification?  Religious zealotism?

I don't care if Commodore advertises or not.  Let's talk about
stuff we can do with an Amiga.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"What a wonder is USENET; such wholesale production of conjecture from

bakken@ripvan.ccit.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (09/14/88)

In article <9080@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> Why do Amiga owners want the whole world to own an Amiga?
> Ego massage?  Purchase justification?  Religious zealotism?

Do you personally buy anything for  your Amiga, Bob, or does Lowell?
Probably Amigans see how cheap hard disks and sophisticated software
(relative to the primitive system) are for
the IBM PC family and realize that this is available only with a large
installed base.  It also may be an act of great mercy.  They see what a
neandrathal state of computing and productivity owners of most other
PCs live in and they grieve.  I've long held that Intel's segmented
architecture, Q-DOS (aka MS-DOS), and IBM's lack of preparation for
their PC have cost Western Civilization literally millions of man-hours.
Also, the reasons you mentioned probably are a factor.

> I don't care if Commodore advertises or not.  Let's talk about
> stuff we can do with an Amiga.

I care, for the above reasons.  I agree, though, that we should press
ahead.

--
Dave Bakken

UUCP: 		arizona!bakken
Internet:bakken@arizona.edu

Dan-Hankins@cup.portal.com (09/15/88)

Bob Page writes:

>Why do Amiga owners want the whole world to own an Amiga?
>Ego massage?  Purchase justification?  Religious zealotism?

None of these.  The reasons for wanting the world to own Amigas are very
practical, self-serving, and beneficial to the entire Amiga community.

More Amigas means:

1. A broader customer base.
2. More money for Commodore to put into further Amiga development and support.
3. That the big software houses can make enough money selling to Amigoids to
   justify writing software for the Amiga (and at lower prices due to the
   sales volume).
4. That hardware manufacturers can justify building Amiga add-ons (again at
   lower prices due to the sales volume).
5. More PD programmers and more Amiga-supporting BBSs.
6. More technical experts (like Peter Norton) digging into the guts and then
   giving technical advice.
7. More universal happiness.  It is well known (among Amiga users) that
   computer users are happier when using an Amiga than when using anything
   else in its price range.  Therefore by getting more Amigas out there one
   is furthering progress and benefitting Mankind.

Less Amigas means:

1. A shrinking set of customers.
2. Less money for Commodore to put into the Amiga, possibly with the ultimate
   result of loss of support or even Commodore's bankruptcy.
3. Less software developed (software companies can't make as much money as on
   other machines).
4. Less hardware add ons (same argument as 3).
5. Less PD stuff and BBSs.
6. Fewer technical experts.
7. More universal unhappiness.

Dan Hankins

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (09/16/88)

In article <9080@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Why do Amiga owners want the whole world to own an Amiga?
>Ego massage?  Purchase justification?  Religious zealotism?
    Simple: size of the market available to software developers.
Some of us would like to prostitute ourselves and actually make some
money doing software for the machine.  The more people own one, the better
the chance that it would be worth our while.
    Even those of us who don't have such aspirations are at least
partially dependent upon those who do for the software we use (Yeah,
I know, you can get PD software for most things, or write our own,
but really now, all of us use some commercial software, right?)

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (09/17/88)

I think I get it now.  The answer comes down to "We want more hardware
and software from third party vendors", the obvious implication being
many people are not using their Amigas for the reasons they originally
bought it for, thus their purchase is not 'legitimate' yet.

Sounds good to me.  I guess I have all the Amiga hw and sw I
want/need, so I'm happy with the current state of affairs.

I still think Amigaoids are looking at other PC markets and judging
the Amiga by the size of the other markets, saying "we should try to
become as big as they are, so we can legitimize our Amiga purchases."

Regardless of which, I wish there were a separate place for lamenting
the small Amiga market (wrt the larger Apple and IBM markets) so those
of us happy with our systems could concentrate on positive pursuits.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page