[comp.sys.amiga] detachable keyboards and the A500

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (09/11/88)

In article <877@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
> There is strong pressure (from employees, unions, legistatures etc) for
> requiring detachable keyboards on all pcs/terminals bought henceforth. This
> puts the 500 at a strong disadvantage.

OK, think of the Amiga 500 as on oversized detachable keyboard that happens to
have an Amiga in it.
-- uunet!sugar!karl, +1 713 274 5184

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (09/12/88)

In article <2605@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>OK, think of the Amiga 500 as on oversized detachable keyboard that happens to
>have an Amiga in it.

	...With zillions of cables coming out of it.

#define	zillions	more than two

	When I was using my 64, I found placing it in my lap was rather
awkward.  I suspect the same is true of the 500.  While it's nice that it's
mobile, it's tough to beat a lightweight keyboard with just one coily cord
coming out of it.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (09/12/88)

In article <2605@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <877@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>> There is strong pressure (from employees, unions, legistatures etc) for
>> requiring detachable keyboards on all pcs/terminals bought henceforth. This
>> puts the 500 at a strong disadvantage.
>
>OK, think of the Amiga 500 as on oversized detachable keyboard that happens to
>have an Amiga in it.

    This is my big complaint about the 500.  I know, I know, for as cheap as it
is I shouln't expect a detachable keyboard.  Fine, I can relate to that.  But
I'd still like to be able to sit back with my feet on the desk and my keyboard
in my lap once in a while.  Has anyone come up with a way hook up a terminal
to the serial port and get a remote shell running on it?  Then how about a
good vi like editor for it!  I personally prefer a dumb terminal for editting
instead of the normal amiga screen.  They're usually easier to read (and have a
detachable keyboard)

Just my oppinions so don't get in a tizzy,
--j
--
... {seismo | harvard } ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo
	"Some people should die, it's just unconscious knowlege"

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/13/88)

In article <7087@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <2605@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>>OK, think of the Amiga 500 as on oversized detachable keyboard that happens to
>>have an Amiga in it.
>	...With zillions of cables coming out of it.
>#define	zillions	more than two
One thought i had was to get another A500 case (price, anybody?)
and saw it in two and move my A500 keyboard into it. THere is a REALLY
SMALL cable from the A500 keyboard to the main board, so it should be no
big deal. This was a common hack with the heath h*9 series of
terminals/computers, only there people REALLY DID saw their computer
in two.
#define REALLY SMALL (around eight wires or so)
   Anyway, the A500 with just a little chainsaw work could have a
detachable keyboard.
   In fact, maybe my brother could use the chainsaw when i was done ...
visit the 'authorized repair shop' and have a little discussion...
ron

eachus@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Robert Eachus) (09/13/88)

In article <6162@dayton.UUCP> joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:

>I'm on the verge of building a box for my 500 keyboard and making it a
>detached keyboard.  Has anyone else done something like this?  It looks like
>I'd just need to extend the ground wire and that one cable that connects to
>the mother board -- no big deal.  Comments, anyone? -Joe

     The recent talk on the net convinces me that there is room in the
Amiga marketplace for four new models as follows: (model numbers are
hypothetical with no necessary relation to fact or Commodore)

     Amiga 500P Portable version of Amiga 500 with combination battery
pack/battery charger/power supply to replace the current power supply
unit, and a choice of flat screen displays.

     Amiga 1200  An Amiga 2000   keyboard (or a  detachable  Amiga 500
keyboard) which plugs into  a case containing  the Amiga 500 PC board,
two 3-1/2 drives and  a heftier power  supply.  The  case  should have
room (and power) for a 5-1/4 drive or hard disk and expansion to 3 Meg
of memory.

     Amiga  3000 A 30 MHz 68030  machine with 2   Meg of (32-bit wide)
chip memory and 4 Meg of (32-bit wide) fast memory standard.   Support
for Zorro II boards on what is now the SLOW bus. Graphics modes should
include 256 colors from 256K possible, and all "normal" Amiga modes at
Multisync speeds.  NTSC (or  PAL)  compatibility  not  even considered
nice, VGA compatibility might be.

     The portable would sell to all  Amiga owners who travel, the 1200
would fill the  niche of (and replace) the  1000, and  the 3000  is of
course for the best of the best of us.  (Or those to  whom money is no
object.)

     If all of them were announced next week which one would I buy?
Hmmmm. I desperately need the portable for trips, the 1200 would allow
me to retire my 1000 (or at least let my daughter have it), and the
2000 I'm typing this on is starting to get bogged down when I try to
do too much at once.  Maybe I'll get all of them! :-)

     Actually,  there is a major  truth buried  in   this.  I have two
Amigas, my brother has two Amigas, do you have two Amigas?  There is a
substantial segment  of  the Amiga owner community   who would like to
replace as  many  of their computers as  possible with  Amigas. Unlike
some markets, the Amiga community is not saturated at one per customer
at any one time.

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (09/13/88)

In article <7087@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <2605@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>>OK, think of the Amiga 500 as on oversized detachable keyboard that happens to
>>have an Amiga in it.
>        ...With zillions of cables coming out of it.
>#define        zillions        more than two
>        When I was using my 64, I found placing it in my lap was rather
>awkward.  I suspect the same is true of the 500.  While it's nice that it's
>mobile, it's tough to beat a lightweight keyboard with just one coily cord
>coming out of it.
Ok, I have the soulution to this! :-) :-)

What you do is make a hardware module that plugs into all the connectors on
the back of a 500 (or an L shaped one that plugs into the expansion connector
too.)  This module converts all the ports into one fiber optic cable.  This
cable has power wires in it too and is curly!  On the other end of the cable,
you have a fiber optic -> port converter box (and optional zorro II expansion
box) and there you go!  Portable keyboard (with lots of smarts!)

Some enterprising person could probably make this for, oh, about the price
of an a2000...  Not too bad...
(-: (-:

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (09/13/88)

In article <721@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <7087@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>One thought i had was to get another A500 case (price, anybody?)
>and saw it in two and move my A500 keyboard into it. THere is a REALLY
>SMALL cable from the A500 keyboard to the main board, so it should be no
>big deal. This was a common hack with the heath h*9 series of
>terminals/computers, only there people REALLY DID saw their computer
>in two.
>#define REALLY SMALL (around eight wires or so)
>   Anyway, the A500 with just a little chainsaw work could have a
>detachable keyboard.
>   In fact, maybe my brother could use the chainsaw when i was done ...
>visit the 'authorized repair shop' and have a little discussion...
>ron

Actually, there is probably an easier way to get a detachable keyboard; simply
buy an A2000 (well, make that B2000) keyboard, and a 5-pin DIN jack, and
kludge the DIN jack into your A500 someplace, and hook it up in place of the
internal wiring between the A500 internal keyboard & the motherboard.  This is
assuming, of course, that the keyboard decoder & interface is the same for
2000's and 500's, which it oughta be.

However, there is one minor caveat; a "spare" A2000 keyboard may be a
significant fraction of the price of an A500...

  - Mike Shawaluk   (now with his very own account!!!)

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/14/88)

In article <1020@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Actually, there is probably an easier way to get a detachable keyboard; simply
>buy an A2000 (well, make that B2000) keyboard, and a 5-pin DIN jack, and
>kludge the DIN jack into your A500 someplace, and hook it up in place of the
oh man, that is assuming so many things that may not hold, i think
it just won't work. Actually, my suggestion (chainsaw aside, that is
for the repair shop only) was mostly serious. If you ever take an
A500 apart you will see it is a real simple (and clean) design.
You could actually take the little metal box (that is the amiga) out of the
case and put it somewhere else. But i still think the best is get the
original equipment- virgin A500 plastic box- so that you can have a
box just for the keyboard. You can pop open the box and pop out the keyboard
in about five minutes.
   So, anybody from C= wanna give a quote on the price for the plastic
case? if it's under $25 or so it might be worth it!
ron

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (09/14/88)

>     Amiga 500P Portable version of Amiga 500 with combination battery
>pack/battery charger/power supply to replace the current power supply
>unit, and a choice of flat screen displays.

Another thought about a "PORTABLE" AMIGA -- A band could use it as a MIDI
controller. I just talked to someone who bought one of those MAC things
to use on stage. He DID say he LIKED the AMIGA.

So why did he buy a Mac??? Because it's MUCH easier to carry to the "Gig"
since it's all in one little box.

Me ???? I'll stick with my AMIGA!!

Dave S.

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) (09/14/88)

In article <1020@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Actually, there is probably an easier way to get a detachable keyboard; simply
>buy a ... B2000 keyboard, and a 5-pin DIN jack ...
>This is assuming, of course, that the keyboard decoder & interface is the
>same for 2000's and 500's, which it oughta be.
>
>However, there is one minor caveat; a "spare" B2000 keyboard may be a
>significant fraction of the price of an A500...
>
>  - Mike Shawaluk

Significant indeed!  The dealers around here want $125 for a B2000 keyboard.

I asked about this on the net a few months ago, and didn't get any replies.
But my own investigation has found:  the A500 and B2000 keyboard printed
circuit boards =look= identical (except the B2000 keyboard has empty holes
where the Power and Drive LEDs would go).  That is, physically they should
be interchangeable.  However, pressing control-A-A on a B2000 produces a
"shutdown" keyboard message; the A500 generates a hard reset signal, and
does not produce the "shutdown" message.  While a B2000 keyboard might
still be able to reset an A500 (I'm about to try this), I'd personally
prefer to keep the hard reset capability.

So the "even easier" way to make the A500 keyboard detachable is to get
an empty keyboard case from a B2000.  You'll still need the connectors and
a coiled cable (7 conductors plus shield; the A500 has 8, but one is a no-
connect).

This isn't really "easier" because, as far as I've been able to determine,
Commodore doesn't sell just the B2000 keyboard case as a replacement part.
However, if somebody wanted to order, say, 50 or 100 of them, they might
be interested.

So the question for the net is: how many of you would be interested in
buying an empty B2000 plastic keyboard case.

Please send mail to me, and I will post the count.  If there is sufficient
interest, I will pursue the idea of ordering a bunch and selling them at
cost.

Also, anyone who knows where to get a 7-conductor-plus-shield coiled
cable, please tell me.  (and no, PC keyboard extension cables don't have
that many conductors)

David Carter		davidc@pyr.gatech.edu

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (09/14/88)

In Message <39828@linus.UUCP>, eachus@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Robert Eachus) writes:

>     Amiga 500P Portable version of Amiga 500 with combination battery
>pack/battery charger/power supply to replace the current power supply
>unit, and a choice of flat screen displays.

  Of course this unit has 1 3.5" floppy, a 40meg built in HD, autobooting
  from 1.3 ;-), min 3 meg memory, built in 2400 modem, external SCSI port,
  and all the ports currently on the 500. Oh yea id prefer a built in
  battery with external power supply/charger. Guess what im saying is a
  "Laptop" and not just a "Portable".

>     The portable would sell to all  Amiga owners who travel, the 1200
>would fill the  niche of (and replace) the  1000, and  the 3000  is of
>course for the best of the best of us.  (Or those to  whom money is no
>object.)

  Or to those who find a laptop to be a welcome (needed?) addition to their
  line of hardware. I use a Zenith MS-DOS (I know... boo... hiss...) so
  I can spend some time in the living room with the family instead of in
  front of heimat all the time. It works well for telecommunications (has
  a built in 2400 baud modem), writing 'C' code or just reading the net ;-)
  But id trade it in on a LapTop Amiga today yet!

>     Actually,  there is a major  truth buried  in   this.  I have two
>Amigas, my brother has two Amigas, do you have two Amigas?  There is a
>substantial segment  of  the Amiga owner community   who would like to
>replace as  many  of their computers as  possible with  Amigas. Unlike
>some markets, the Amiga community is not saturated at one per customer
>at any one time.

  Boy am I glad I just sold my Amiga 1000 because I had 3 Amigas and I
  don't want to be over the maximum limit. Todays average family (or is
  that Amiga family ;-) has:

       2 cars
	   1 truck
	   1 child (boy or girl)
	   1 pet (dog or cat)
	   3 phones (1 cordless)
	   2 phone numbers
	   4 tv's
	   2 Amiga's
	   Couple of hundred (thousand ?) dollars of old and outdated computer
	   and electronic items.

  Oh yea, all this is more of a dream than a request. I don't want to start
  a series of replies explaining why my dream laptop is just a dream. Ok?

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein     {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

MJB@cup.portal.com (09/14/88)

Does the A500 keyboard have the same matrix as the A2000 (<<which is IBM
compatible, right?)? If it does, why not just put in a standard (IBM/A2000)
keyboard connector and a slide switch (to enable the ext. keybd and disable
the built-in keybd.)? Is there room? Would it work? Why doesn't C-A do this?
                              - Martin Brown -

kodiak@amiga.UUCP (Robert R. Burns) (09/15/88)

In article <6397@pyr.gatech.EDU> davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) writes:
)                ...  However, pressing control-A-A on a B2000 produces a
)"shutdown" keyboard message; the A500 generates a hard reset signal, and
)does not produce the "shutdown" message.  While a B2000 keyboard might
)still be able to reset an A500 (I'm about to try this), I'd personally
)prefer to keep the hard reset capability.

The A500 and B2000 keyboard roms are different.  The B2000 sends two reset
keycodes to the keyboard.device and waits either for a handshake to those
codes, or a timeout interval (around 1/4 minute, I think) before pulling on
the reset line.  This was designed to let critical system code hold off
reset in the middle of an operation -- the trackdisk.device is a client of
this service but I'm not sure what it does.  The A500, on the other hand,
does not send these reset keycodes or wait around: it pulls on the reset
"right away" (it's actually a capacitor bleed circuit).  The only time you'll
notice a difference (because you never reset in the middle of a disk write,
do you?) is if the processor is so lost that the keyboard handshake is held
off -- have you ever hit a dead B2000 and thought "I thought I hit
CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA correctly, humm, well, I'll try it agai... Oh! there it
goes...".  That's why the timeout exists in the B2000 keyboard.

)So the "even easier" way to make the A500 keyboard detachable is to get
)an empty keyboard case from a B2000.  You'll still need the connectors and
)a coiled cable (7 conductors plus shield; the A500 has 8, but one is a no-
)connect).

I've got my A500 keyboard extended w/ 3' of ribbon cable and no ground strap
connection.  Works fine.  (Your mileage may vary.  Warrenties not included.)

)This isn't really "easier" because, as far as I've been able to determine,
)Commodore doesn't sell just the B2000 keyboard case as a replacement part.

I admit, I've got an inside source.  I did use it for quite a while sans case
but finally we had a B2000 keyboard go defective so I snagged the case.  I
wish I'd had a better tool than a drill and an xacto to cut those led holes.
I had to nibble a small tab of the metal on the A500 keyboard, but overall
am satisfied with the results.  (Now if only my Return key was more reliable).

We use A500s here for 1.4 testing because they are easier to instrument w/
a state analyzer and they've got the SOTS connector that our old development
hardware connects to.

- Kodiak
--
|\   Kodiak    \   amiga!kodiak       _______/ A \| \/ |_|_|___|/ A \

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (09/15/88)

In article <2605@sugar.uu.net>, karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> In article <877@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
> > There is strong pressure (from employees, unions, legistatures etc) for
> > requiring detachable keyboards on all pcs/terminals bought henceforth. This
> > puts the 500 at a strong disadvantage.

Umm, just what does this mean?  How can employees/unions place restrictions
on things like this?  Is a constitutional ammendment in the works?
Boycotts?

Darin Johnson (...pyramid.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
	"All aboard the DOOMED express!"

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (09/16/88)

In article <341@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) writes:
>In article <2605@sugar.uu.net>, karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>> In article <877@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>> > There is strong pressure (from employees, unions, legistatures etc) for
>> > requiring detachable keyboards on all pcs/terminals bought henceforth. This
>> > puts the 500 at a strong disadvantage.
>Umm, just what does this mean?  How can employees/unions place restrictions
>on things like this?  Is a constitutional ammendment in the works?
>Boycotts?

	It means people don't like using non-detachable keyboards and are
complaining to their bosses so much so that when it comes time to buy new
computers, the bosses will make sure they have detachable keyboards.
Sort of like workers demanding smoke-free environments.  Non-detachable
keyboards are a real pain, just like high-profile keyboards were a pain
(which I have heard are now illegal in Europe, but know only as rumor,
because of wrist strain.)  It's very easy for employees/unions to do this
especially if they can convince their employers it's affecting their
productivity.

	I know a lot of people who do their typing on MS-DOS machines just
because the screens are easier to read and the keyboards are detachable
and then ship their code over to their a500 to do the compiles.  That's
what I do on a nice UNIX box and prefer it immensely to inputting on
my a500 keyboard.  Besides, the escape-key is in a stupid place.  Alas,
my favorite keyboard was a zenith AT-style keyboard and IBM had to go
and screw it up with the 101-keyboard.  Ever see where they put the
CTRL-key on that pig?  Their human-factors group must have 6 inch long
fingers on one hand and 2 inches on the other.

--j
--
... {seismo | harvard } ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo
    "They weren't just any women...  They were women fresh from Hell, with

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/17/88)

Two questions:

	(1) Do they also require detachable low-profile keyboards for
	    typewriters?

	(2) Why didn't IBM stick with the industry standard kayboard that
	    they had invented (Selectric-style) for the IBM-PC? (Not a flame,
	    I really want to know)
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

toweri@clinet.FI (Jukka Lindgren) (09/18/88)

[Eat-Me]

In article <6397@pyr.gatech.EDU> davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) writes:
>In article <1020@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>>Actually, there is probably an easier way to get a detachable keyboard;
>>simply buy a ... B2000 keyboard, and a 5-pin DIN jack ...
>>This is assuming, of course, that the keyboard decoder & interface is the
>>same for 2000's and 500's, which it oughta be.

etc...

	Maybe this is a little bit going to a side track, but anyway:
Does anyone out there have any experience about making (a long) extension
wire for A1000 keyboard? I'm talking about a length of three to four meters.

	Basically there shouldn't be anything tricky about it. In fact,
Amiga Hardware Reference Manual by Addison-Wesley writes:

>The keyboard plugs into the computer via a four-conductor cable similar
>to a telephone handset coily cord (in fact, a telephone handset cable
>may be substituted in a pinch)...

	But they don't say a thing about maximum length for that cable!
Someone just might think that it doesn't make any difference.
	Unfortunately it isn't so simple: As the keyboard transmits data
serially to the main unit, it is done with a speed of 17 kbits/sec.
At such speed there just isn't much time for check-and-re-check, therefore it
looks to me that a cable four meters long might collect inductive, faulty,
signals, or the real signal might get spurious.
(ref. round-shaped Cray-supercomputers, in order to minimize cable-lengths)

	Now, do I manage with a simple telephone cable, or do I have to
use shielded cable, or (please not!) was it absolutely insane idea to
begin with?

If I get a definite YES or NO, I will post it for others to see too.

Thank you, in advance!

# ELM: toweri@clinet.UUCP	     | Any opinions expressed contain         #
# SNAIL: don't bother...	     | *The Absolute Truth*                   #
#                                    | Therefore no disclaimers can be made   #

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (09/18/88)

In article <2644@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Two questions:
>        (2) Why didn't IBM stick with the industry standard kayboard that
>            they had invented (Selectric-style) for the IBM-PC? (Not a flame,
>            I really want to know)
A friend that works at IBM told me that they did that because the PC
keyboard was made/designed by the COMPUTER department and not by the
TYPEWRITER department.  IBM almost has as much red tape as the government
you know :-)  It seems that the PC keyboard was the computer sections
first real try with a keyboard...

--

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/19/88)

In article <1192@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:

>	I know a lot of people who do their typing on MS-DOS machines just
>because the screens are easier to read and the keyboards are detachable
>and then ship their code over to their a500 to do the compiles.

Funny.  When I was writing code for an IBM PC/AT I did the opposite.  I
couldn't bear to use that primative machine any more than I had to, so I
did my coding on the Amiga and transferred it to the IBM to do the
compiles.

--
Eric Kennedy