[comp.sys.amiga] another cmi board question

bdjst@cisunx.UUCP (Ratso) (09/15/88)

Well, anther question about the CMI accelerator.  Hw does it work with genlocks?
I am asking because I was under the impression that the 7.19 (or whatever) Mhz
rate was important for NTSC compatability.  I would like to use the board for
animation work, especially to speed up and smooth playanim.  So the switch to
make it 7.19 to tape would defeat one of my major reasns for buying the board.

Thanks for any replies.

Ben Jacobs
University of Pittsburgh

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (09/18/88)

In article <12528@cisunx.UUCP> bdjst@cisunx.UUCP (Ratso) writes:
>Well, anther question about the CMI accelerator.  Hw does it work with genlocks?
>I am asking because I was under the impression that the 7.19 (or whatever) Mhz
>rate was important for NTSC compatability.  I would like to use the board for
>animation work, especially to speed up and smooth playanim.  So the switch to
>make it 7.19 to tape would defeat one of my major reasns for buying the board.
>Ben Jacobs
>University of Pittsburgh

I don't see any reason why the CMI PA would cause any problems with a
genlock.  I have one in my machine, and have noticed a little speedup
with animation playback.  But, it's subtle, the playback speedup is more
substantial with an '020'.  So, if you're only reason for getting the
board is to speedup animation playback, it might not be worth it.  What
it WILL give you is a substantial speedup when rendering the frames.
Remember that the biggest speedup you'll find will be in math intensive
opereations.  Hope this helps.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Wierd, the Wierd go Professional

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (09/19/88)

From article <12528@cisunx.UUCP:, by bdjst@cisunx.UUCP (Ratso):
: Well, anther question about the CMI accelerator.  Hw does it work with genlocks?
: I am asking because I was under the impression that the 7.19 (or whatever) Mhz
: rate was important for NTSC compatability.
:
	The CMI Processor Accelerator won't interfer with your genlock at all.
We use the systems existing 7.16Mhz clock to synthesize our 14.32Mhz signal
for the processor and still allow everything else to use the standard clocks.
Since the Genlocks don't have to worry about the processor speed, there's no
incompatiblity there. (I believe that the genlocks usually use their own clock
for the system also...)

: Thanks for any replies.
:
:
: Ben Jacobs
: University of Pittsburgh
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey