[comp.sys.amiga] Vampire Virus

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (09/18/88)

I picked up a copy of the DigiTek game called 'Vampire's Empire'.  I had
hopes that I could invoke the game from WorkBench or CLI so I stuck the disk
in my external drive.  Lo and behold I got a Requester from VirusX 2.0 which
tells me that the disk is infected with the SCA virus!  I would like advice
on what I should do about this virus.  I suspect that the game has a custom
boot-block and so I did not have VirusX overwrite the boot-block.  This is
my first encounter with a virus and so I need some help.

PS  VirusX is a great program!  (I just wish it's window could be made to
automatically go to the back.  One bug: move the 'iconified' window to the
bottom of the screen and press the right mouse button to expand it ---
GURU.)

PPS Does anyone know how to kill the knight guarding the bow in the game
'Barbarian'?

John Lindwall

davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) (09/19/88)

From article <3157@sdsu.UUCP>, by lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall):
> on what I should do about this virus.  I suspect that the game has a custom
> boot-block and so I did not have VirusX overwrite the boot-block.  This is

The best way to find out if a game has a custom boot block is to boot it, virus
and all (Warning, Will Robinson:  Make sure you turn off the computer afterwords
so that you clear the virus from memory (a side note: VirusX will clear it from
memory for you)).  If the first thing you see during the booting of the disk
is the good ol' AmigaDOS screen, then it is not using a custom boot block and
you safely have VirusX fix it.
                        --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!killer!davidg
                       INET: davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (09/19/88)

I just called "Memory Location", our local omnibus Amiga dealer, and they say
that they discovered this fact (that some of the Digitek "Vampire's Empire"
disks are SCA-infected) "a long time ago".

Evidently the "first batch" were infected, but the "second batch" weren't.
I don't know how you tell them apart, except to check them.

My advice would be for everyone who buys this game to check it, observing
proper precautions when doing so, and if it is infected take it back for
another one until you get one which is OK.

One would hope that a reputable dealer would already be aware of the problem
and would have weeded out all the bad ones already - but this is not an ideal
universe. ("Memory Location" has done so - I guess at least the Boston area is
part of the ideal universe...)

sirius@cup.portal.com (09/20/88)

In article <3157@sdsu.UUCP> lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
>Lo and behold I got a Requester from VirusX 2.0 which
>tells me that the disk is infected with the SCA virus!  I would like advice
>on what I should do about this virus.  I suspect that the game has a custom
>boot-block and so I did not have VirusX overwrite the boot-block.  This is
>my first encounter with a virus and so I need some help.

I just got the same program, and after reading your note, took a look at
the boot block.  I checked it with VirusX (1.71) and it told me the same
thing.  But when you take a look at the boot block, it isn't a virus, it's
just a custom boot block that VirusX _THINKS_ is the SCA virus.
(Just to check that it WAS just a custom boot block, I loaded it, rebooted,
and gave it a disk to infect, and it didn't.  So I don't think there's
anything to worry about..

Mike Stilson
sirius@cup.portal.com

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (09/20/88)

From article <3157@sdsu.UUCP:, by lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall):
:
: I picked up a copy of the DigiTek game called 'Vampire's Empire'.  I had
: hopes that I could invoke the game from WorkBench or CLI so I stuck the disk
: in my external drive.  Lo and behold I got a Requester from VirusX 2.0 which
: tells me that the disk is infected with the SCA virus!  I would like advice
: on what I should do about this virus.  I suspect that the game has a custom
: boot-block and so I did not have VirusX overwrite the boot-block.  This is
: my first encounter with a virus and so I need some help.
	If you can boot the game with the SCA virus installed, the game
didn't have a custom boot block. The SCA would have replaced any custom
block that was there. To remove the virus either use the 'remove' option
on VirusX or 'Install' the disk from CLI. Make sure you're using version
1.71 or later on VirusX, since those will remove the SCA virus from your
memory also.
:
: PS  VirusX is a great program!
:
: PPS Does anyone know how to kill the knight guarding the bow in the game
: 'Barbarian'?
	The knight guarding that bow is invincible... Luckly enough, the bow
is a decoy anyway. Just pick up those arrows and get on down to the real bow
later in the game.
:
: John Lindwall
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey