[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000 Memory

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (09/13/88)

Well, I just got off the phone with Supra Corp.  They are no longer
producing any Ami 1000 memory boards for the Supra 4x4, and have no
intention of producing them.  They also claim that the ami 500 boards
will not fit into a ami 1000 4x4.   So, looks like I can't have all
my stuff in 1 box anymore, so the question arises:

What is a good memory board for the Amiga 1000?   I intend to
get a board when prices drop somewhat.  Or, if anyone has a good
board for the amiga 1000 for sale, let me know.
I am not looking for mondo expansion here, just 2 Megs.

Oh, Supra claims that there was not enough demand for the
amiga 1000 boards to keep them going, so when prices hit
the roof, they dropped them.

C'est la vie.

brian moffet

Note, for those who are looking for responses from me:
I cannot communicate through AT&T machines.  I can talk
through uunet, decvax, and to most universities in the US.

--
'Evil Geniuses for a Better Tommorrow!'
My opinions do not in any way reflect those of my employer or my fish.

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (09/15/88)

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:

>Well, I just got off the phone with Supra Corp.  They are no longer
>producing any Ami 1000 memory boards for the Supra 4x4, and have no
>intention of producing them.  They also claim that the ami 500 boards
>will not fit into a ami 1000 4x4.   So, looks like I can't have all
>my stuff in 1 box anymore, so the question arises:
>
>What is a good memory board for the Amiga 1000?   I intend to
>get a board when prices drop somewhat.  Or, if anyone has a good
>board for the amiga 1000 for sale, let me know.
>I am not looking for mondo expansion here, just 2 Megs.

My vintage Oct '85 A1000 has a Supra 4x4 hanging off its side (driving their
20Meg hard drive) and hanging off ITS side is a Microbotics Starboard2
stuffed to capacity with 2 Meg of RAM.  I've been running with the Starboard21
since Jan '87 and with both of them since Jan '88 and all is well.

I have NOT had the PAL chips grounded. My machine has no internal mods
of any kind, in fact it's never been opened.

Works fine for me.  Your results may vary

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

In article <867@vicious> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:

>Well, I just got off the phone with Supra Corp.  They are no longer
>producing any Ami 1000 memory boards for the Supra 4x4, and have no
>intention of producing them.
>
>Oh, Supra claims that there was not enough demand for the
>amiga 1000 boards to keep them going, so when prices hit
>the roof, they dropped them.

Hmm. I talked with them about 8 weeks ago. The story they gave me then
was that is was costing them too much to make boards for the 1000
using 256K chips given the low quantity they were selling.
The same was true of the 500 expansion board.

However, they were currently in the process of fabricating a board
for the 5000 using 1 MB chips. They said they *might* do one for
the 1000. Althought somehow I was less than encouraged.

>C'est la vie.

Yup.

>I cannot communicate through AT&T machines.

Who can.

--

      ``I'm  sick and tired of all the shit that Portal is  getting,
   even  though  Portal  is  close  to  being  the  top  contributor

richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

toweri@clinet.FI (Jukka Lindgren) (09/19/88)

KEYwords are: Sisu, sauna and Sibelius

In article <867@viscous> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:

>What is a good memory board for the Amiga 1000?   I intend to
>get a board when prices drop somewhat.  Or, if anyone has a good
>board for the amiga 1000 for sale, let me know.
>I am not looking for mondo expansion here, just 2 Megs.

	May I recommend something that I have found quite good.
I'm talking about Micron memory board. It is planned keeping in mind
every possible situation. You can purchase it with motherboard for A1000
or A500. Or you can get a bare memory board that can be inserted into
one of A2000's expansion slots.
	One memory board contains 2 Meg and mother board has two slots, so
you can expand your basic combination very easily. The mother board has
passthrough capability enabling you to attach several peripherals together.
You can also connect up to four memory boards in a row giving you a modest
total of 8.5 meg (!) available...
	The memory board is self-configuring (wb 1.2 -> ), uses zero
wait-state design and has two years warrant. Also supplied is a disk
with several diagnostics programs and a couple of nice utilities, for
example a quick test program (PUMemTest) that is good in s/startup-sequence.
It checks the fastmem in 12 seconds!
	As the memory board is totally interchangeable, you will never
come up with a situation of useless memory, if/when upgrading to A2000,
for example.

Just thought you might like to know...

-toweri

ps. Except for being a satisfied customer, I have no connection to
    Micron Technology Inc.
    (Well, what did you expect. I _am_ living on the opposite side
    of the world...)

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (09/21/88)

In article <696@clinet.FI> toweri@clinet.UUCP (Jukka Lindgren) writes:

>	May I recommend something that I have found quite good.
>I'm talking about Micron memory board. It is planned keeping in mind
>every possible situation. You can purchase it with motherboard for A1000

Uuuh, I hate to tell you this, but you can't.  It's been discontinued,
(this, according to my dealer, who called Micron.) so unless you can
get it from someplace that has them (*NOW*) in stock, you might wanna
keep looking.  Pity. I really wanted one... sold my 1000 and got a 500
because of that (and the potential new chipsets).
	Lawrence H. Brown
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (?)
Phone: (918-660-4389) 24 hrs, voice. USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145
"No.  Amiga is not dead.  Hell, it's not even tired."---Leo L. Schwab