[comp.sys.amiga] Mice

spierce@pnet01.UUCP (06/03/87)

Is there a good optical mouse that is compatible with the Amiga mouse?  Stuart
Pierce

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (06/06/87)

In article <1167@crash.CTS.COM> spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) writes:
> Is there a good optical mouse that is compatible with the Amiga mouse?  Stuart
> Pierce

The Amiga mice are fairly generic.  Any mouse that provides X and Y quadrature
signals and contact closures for the buttons should work, although you may
need to make some kind of adapter cable/plug.

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (09/20/88)

	Speaking of mice replacements...

	Did anyone notice the article in the San Jose Mercury News (or hear
about it from elsewhere) about the inventor who developed a replacement
mouse for typists?  Apparently it attaches a special device below the space
bar that allows the functionality of a mouse without lifting your hands from
the keyboard.  Word processors apparently love it!

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (09/21/88)

An angle-sensitive head-mounted pointing device would do the job.  Move your
head and the pointer moves with it.  Very handy.  Such a device has already
been made for the Mac.  I don't know whatever became of it, however.

Heck, I'd love to have one for my 1000 (with footpedals for mouse buttons)!
I'd never have to take my hands off the keyboard!

Dan Hankins

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (09/22/88)

In article <9291@cup.portal.com>, DMasterson@cup.portal.com writes:
> 	Did anyone notice the article in the San Jose Mercury News (or hear
> about it from elsewhere) about the inventor who developed a replacement
> mouse for typists?  Apparently it attaches a special device below the space

From what I recall about the product, it is a slider on a rolling bar.
By rolling it either forward or back, it simulates mouse moves up and
down on the desk.  By moving the slider on the bar with one's thumb,
it takes care of left and right moves.  I, for one, as a touch typist
(losing my touch perhaps... thank goodness the backspace key is in the
same place on most of the keyboards I use) would love such a beast.
Never have to lose the home-keys advantage then.

Rob Peck

baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Baron Fujimoto) (09/22/88)

In article <9317@cup.portal.com> dan-hankins@cup.portal.com writes:
:An angle-sensitive head-mounted pointing device would do the job.  Move your
:head and the pointer moves with it.  Very handy.  Such a device has already
:been made for the Mac.  I don't know whatever became of it, however.

heh.  can you imagine people playing games that require a lot of mouse
motion with such a device?

--
INTERNET:	baron@uuccux.uucc.hawaii.edu     |
BITNET:		baron@uhccux.bitnet              |  "Make beans into peas!"

thad@cup.portal.com (09/22/88)

Re: angle-sensitive head-mounted pointing device ...

such is ALREADY available for the Amiga.  Sorry I don't recall the mfr's
name, but said device was demonstrated before FAUG during the early part
of 1986 and was developed as part of a project to aid the handicapped
(e.g. para- and quadra-plegics)

Other devices by the same company were demonstrated  for use giving
lectures with the Amiga as a primary adjunct ... displaying the text and
graphics under control of a cord-less pointing device which replaced the
mouse.  The demonstrator claimed this combination caused people's jaws to
drop when he gave a lecture at (I believe) JPL in Pasadena.

WHY aren't these (and similar) innovations using the Amiga given more
publicity?

We're talking about HUMAN productivity here.  Things to make OUR lives
and jobs easier.  To date, I've only seen these things on the Amiga (and
I attend a LOT of "other" computer users' group meetings and technical
symposia).

Along similar lines, the demo that Marvin Weinstein (sp?) gave to BADGE
earlier this year is a PRIME example of "ONLY ON THE AMIGA" (re: his use
of Amiga-TeX, ARexx, VLT, etc. all simultaneously cooperating and permitting
him to get his work done more efficiently).  In *MY* opinion, Marvin's
"demo" should be videotaped and shown on the networks' 6PM nationwide news.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]