[comp.sys.amiga] A500 + drive controller hack

smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann - I.S.er) (09/22/88)

I haven't been watching the net lately, so I don't know if this has been
recently answered.
I have a friend who is interested in buying an A500 system and a hard drive
(20 MB min.) and that is all.  He would like to know of he can modify the A500
external hardware port to accept an A2000 controller card.  He needs to know
how different the pinout is from the A2000 internal cards.  He has *NO* fear
of modifying the A500, including running a multitude of jumper wires for any
missing signals.  (Yes, he will invalidate the warranty.)
Power supply.  Anything you can supply.  I don't believe the A500 can handle
the increase.
If I can come up with a cost-effective alternative to purchasing an ST or an
XT, we will have another Amiga enthusiest (sp?) in our ranks.  Help me, please.

P.S.  He does not want the expense of an A2000.  All arguments for an A2000
(including mine) he will ignore.  Do not think that the job, if possible, is too
complicated.  This gentleman just finished designing, building, and programming
a MC6809 dual microprocessor system using shared RAM/ROM and I/O on a cycle-by-
cycle switching algorythm (sp?).  And he is building a 10 inch telescope to be
driven by it.  If the A500 mod can be done, he can do it.

        -=-
-=- Shannon Mann -=- smann@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
        -=-

BEB%UNO.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (09/23/88)

Shannon Mann - I.S.er" <smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> writes:

>I have a friend who is interested in buying an A500 system and a hard drive
>(20 MB min.) and that is all.  He would like to know of he can modify the A500
>external hardware port to accept an A2000 controller card.  He needs to know
>Power supply.  Anything you can supply.  I don't believe the A500 can handle
>the increase.
>P.S.  He does not want the expense of an A2000.  All arguments for an A2000
>(including mine) he will ignore. Do not think that the job, if possible, is too
>complicated.  This gentleman just finished designing, building, and programming
>a MC6809 dual microprocessor system using shared RAM/ROM and I/O on a cycle-by-
>cycle switching algorythm (sp?).  And he is building a 10 inch telescope to be
>driven by it.  If the A500 mod can be done, he can do it.

First off, if he doesn't want a A2000 (ever), then he shouldn't be too picky
about getting an A2000 controller card.

Assuming this is reasonable, have him look in to the Wedge, which requires some
assembly but is probably the most inexpensive route, using an IBM controller
and ST506 drive, or the (when it ships RSN) Spirit adaptor, which is the
same thing except no assembly required (in a box, even...).

If he wants the A2000 card to get SCSI, there are a number of plug'n'go SCSI
disk subsystems on the market.

If he wants DMA, he can get the Pacific Peripherals SubSystem, which gives him
two A2000 slots (in case he should change his mind about A2000s in the future),
or Great Valley Peripherals(?) is coming out with a SCSI/DMA/RAM system RSN.

If he *really* wants to hack hardware, I don't see the need to hack up the
machine. Perhaps the Wedge would satisfy the urge. If not he should be able
to hack on an external bus adaptor and keep his warranty. (But then, you
originally asked, "how?". Sorry, can't help there, I'm just studying HDs to
get one myself. I hack s/w, not h/w :)

>        -=-
>-=- Shannon Mann -=- smann@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
>        -=-
                                  Bruce
death before disclaimer
<>Handle:   Bruce Bettis         USnail:   University of New Orleans  <>
<>BITnet:   <BEB@UNO.BITNET>               Computer Research Center   <>
<>Voices:   (504) 286-7067                 New Orleans, La. 70148     <>