[comp.sys.amiga] Digitizing from a color camera

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (09/23/88)

It has been posted here that if you hook a color NTSC signal source up to a
digitizer such as DigiView, that you get a rather bizarre fine-detail
crosshatch on color areas due to aliasing of the chroma sub-carrier.

This is indeed true - take it from one who has tried.

Someone just posted an article plaintively asking if there was any solution.
There is (or soon will be).

Both Sunrize Industries and NewTek will be bringing out a device called a "color
separator" which turns color composite video into a Red signal, a Green signal
or a Blue signal. ("or" instead of "and", because it will only do one at a
time, or so I'm lead to believe.)

Just this afternoon I called Sunrize Industries and they said that the power
supplies they've been waiting for are definitely coming on the 26th, and they
will begin shipping against back-orders at that time. The price will be
somewhat less than $100.

NewTek is supposed to ship a somewhat more expensive box around Christmas. The
rumor is that when it is used with DigiView, that it will switch colors
automatically, so you can say "Do it" and it will digitize three times without
further intervention. I'm skeptical about this, myself, because I don't
understand how they'll control it.

rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (09/23/88)

In article <29990@bbn.COM> denbeste@BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
   >NewTek is supposed to ship a somewhat more expensive box around
   >Christmas. The rumor is that when it is used with DigiView, that
   >it will switch colors automatically, so you can say "Do it" and
   >it will digitize three times without further intervention. I'm
   >skeptical about this, myself, because I don't understand how they'll
   >control it.

Why be skeptical when there are at least two(2) ways that the
Amiga could control it.  One is to use a mouse port like NewTek
already does with their Digi-Droid (with a little motor that turns
the colo{,u}r wheel).  The other would be to put an addition
little box on the parallel port between the Amiga and the original
Digi-View.  This box could perform the switching/filtering/what-
have-you to produce the colo{,u}r separation.

Know NewTek they'll probably come out with the third method. :-)

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		{uunet!likewise,att,arpa}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (09/24/88)

FrameGrabber from Progressive Peripherals and Software can take input from
either a color camera or a TV Tuner/VCR and grab moving images at 1/30th
of a second into the Amiga in any resolution you like (hi/low/medium/
interlace/both HAM modes, etc). Its software can also handle "time lapse"
grabbing.  I'm aching to get one of these puppies.  The box+software is
about 3x DigiView's price and if you can picture in your mind a Hayes
modem about 3 inches wider you'll have an idea of how big the FG box is.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->