[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with Digiview and Starboard II on A1000

ARybicki.ESM8@xerox.com (09/24/88)

	I encountered a little (incompatibility) problem with add-on hardware on my
A1000 and I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for it.

	I've had my A1000 running with 2 meg. Starboard II running for over a year now
and I never had any problems.  Just recently I decided to purchase Digiview with
accompanying 3.0 software.  I was planning on using a portable color camera for
digitizing until I would be able to afford the Panasonic b/w that NewTek
roccomends.  However - after I plugged my Digiview in the paralell port (of
course I did that with Amiga's power switch off) the Amiga wouldn't initialize
and wouldn't even prompt me for KickStart disk.  Sometimes I would hear a
strange clicking coming out of the internal drive.  I didn't experiment with
that too long before I found out that if I disconnected my Starboard II,
everything would work normally (but I couldn't use some screen resolutions
because of the lack of memory).

	Has anyone experienced that kind of problem and if yes, what did you do?  Is
either NewTek or Microbotics aware of the problem (it couldn't be only my A1000
- the same thing happens on my friend's A1000.)

Any help would be appreciated.

ARybicki.ESM8@Xerox.COM

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (09/24/88)

In article <4202@louie.udel.EDU> ARybicki.ESM8@xerox.com writes:

>	I encountered a little (incompatibility) problem with add-on hardware on my
>A1000 and I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for it.
>
>	I've had my A1000 running with 2 meg. Starboard II running for over a year now
>and I never had any problems.  Just recently I decided to purchase Digiview with
>accompanying 3.0 software.  I was planning on using a portable color camera for
>digitizing until I would be able to afford the Panasonic b/w that NewTek
>roccomends.  However - after I plugged my Digiview in the paralell port (of
>course I did that with Amiga's power switch off) the Amiga wouldn't initialize
>and wouldn't even prompt me for KickStart disk.  Sometimes I would hear a
>strange clicking coming out of the internal drive.  I didn't experiment with
>that too long before I found out that if I disconnected my Starboard II,
>everything would work normally (but I couldn't use some screen resolutions
>because of the lack of memory).
>
>	Has anyone experienced that kind of problem and if yes, what did you do?  Is
>either NewTek or Microbotics aware of the problem (it couldn't be only my A1000
>- the same thing happens on my friend's A1000.)
>

>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>ARybicki.ESM8@Xerox.COM

I have SB2 plus StarDrive plus DigiView. That combination has given me no
problems at all. I have no idea what your problem might be. (But then perhaps
I have never seen it because I VERY seldom turn my Amiga off. I turned it
off for the installation. I don't think I have turned the machine off and
back on more than three times since I installed DV. But I have had no such
problems as you cite. What OTHER stuff do you have mounted? Perhaps the tiny
amount of power DV draws is the straw that broke the camel's back. Or perhaps
the DV module is defective in some way and is pulling much more than rated
power. (You also might have RAM in the SB2 that draws more than usual current.
Almost anything that stresses the Amiga near the limit can be the cause of your
DV/SB2 problem.)

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.