[comp.sys.amiga] STUPID QUESTIONS

:I HAVE SEEN WHAT APPEAR TO BE GRAPHIC REPRESENTATIONS OF A SMILE.
:THE MOST COMMON ONE IS	   -> ;:-0) WHICH I TAKE TO BE A `NORMAL' SMILE
:BUT THERE IS ALSO -> ;-) AND :^0) AND :-> AND EVEN %_-00)  .
:ARE THESE TYPOS OR OTHER GRAPHEMIC GRIMACES? IF THE LATERTER, ARE YTHERE
:STANDARD TRANSLATIONS? sardonic grins? sarcasiic tic girnings?

	O O
	\_/

				-Matt

jonasf@kuling.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) (09/10/88)

> :I HAVE SEEN WHAT APPEAR TO BE GRAPHIC REPRESENTATIONS OF A SMILE.
> :THE MOST COMMON ONE IS	   -> ;:-0) WHICH I TAKE TO BE A `NORMAL' SMILE
> :BUT THERE IS ALSO -> ;-) AND :^0) AND :-> AND EVEN %_-00)  .
> :ARE THESE TYPOS OR OTHER GRAPHEMIC GRIMACES? IF THE LATERTER, ARE YTHERE
> :STANDARD TRANSLATIONS? sardonic grins? sarcasiic tic girnings?
>
> 	O O
> 	\_/
>
> 				-Matt

[Couldn't find the original posting..]

Apart from the regular ones:

(. <ironic text> .)  (read: Tongue in cheek)
(-: <Funny text> :-) (read: Smiley face, just kidding)
(-; <funny, half ironic text> ;-) (As above but not just kidding)
Variations: <. .>  <-: :-> and <-; ;->

Some others: :-----| or :-------) meaning your face should be very long
by now, unless you got the joke far earlier.

:-O exclaimer.
:-E Demonic smile. (The demon himself lives nearby, Hi KPJ! ;-)
$-Q Especially designed for our cigar-smoking-and-brandy-sipping
    club. (Hell, even students need *some* fun..)
:-* Oooops.

Then again, some fellow hackers here caused some <very> heated diskussions
when they invented the symbols (*)(*) and (Y). At least *some* of the
females here got upset. ;-) Some others made some pictures I will
*not* reproduce here.. ;-) ;-)

One page, and I don't even mention my Ami in it, I must be really tired..
--
Jonas Flygare (aka Flax)         +------------------------------------------+
email: jonasf@kuling.UUCP        | "Never try to hack while a playful ferret |

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (09/10/88)

In article <8809071910.AA03888@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>:I HAVE SEEN WHAT APPEAR TO BE GRAPHIC REPRESENTATIONS OF A SMILE.
>:THE MOST COMMON ONE IS	   -> ;:-0) WHICH I TAKE TO BE A `NORMAL' SMILE
>:BUT THERE IS ALSO -> ;-) AND :^0) AND :-> AND EVEN %_-00)  .
>:ARE THESE TYPOS OR OTHER GRAPHEMIC GRIMACES? IF THE LATERTER, ARE YTHERE
>:STANDARD TRANSLATIONS? sardonic grins? sarcasiic tic girnings?
>
>	O O
>	\_/
>
>				-Matt

{@_@}	-> Just crusin'
{O,o}	-> Bill the Cat crazy
{o.o}	-> who me?
{O.O}	-> Did I say THAT?
{-_-}	-> Sleepin'
{#_#}	-> Blasted
{+_+}	-> Wasted
{~_~}	-> Tremendously amused
{_^_}	-> Head crash

<@_@>	-> Any <> bixie means not posted from my A2000
	   The @_@ set is only used from my A1000 or A2000
{`_'}	-> angry
{\./}	-> Er buddy - you better not bug me any further - the Wizardess kills
	   for lesser misdeeds.
{\,/}	-> ditto with emphasis on distasteful...

And the list goes on. I better stop before I get everyone crazy with my bixies.
(The story behind those bixies appears on bix in my resume for those who manage
to read that far into it.)
Thpt! Ack~ {o,O} !tphT !kcA

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (09/14/88)

From about 3-4 years ago:
[btw, ;-) is a smiley winking, not half a smiley, as somebody said]
Don't expect everyone to know all of these in everyday communication...

..Bob
-----

	Here it is folks, the last word in smiley faces.  Below we have
	smiley face...

  :-`	smiley spitting out its chewing tobacco
  :-1	smiley bland face
  :-!		"
  :-@	smiley face screaming
  :-#|	smiley face with bushy mustache
  :-$	smiley face with it's mouth wired shut
  :-%	smiley banker
  :-6	smiley after eating something sour
  :^)	smiley with pointy nose (righty)
  :-7	smiley after a wry statement
  8-)	smiley swimmer
  :-*	smiley after eating something bitter
  :-&	smiley which is tongue-tied
  :-9	smiley licking it's lips
  :-0	smiley orator
  :-(	un-smiley
  :-)	smiley standard
	smiley invisible man
  (:-(	unsmiley frowning
  (:-)	smiley big-face
  ):-)		"
  ):-(  unsmiley big-face
  )8-)  scuba smiley big-face
  =:-)	smiley punk-rocker
  =:-(  (real punk rockers don't smile)
  +:-)	smiley priest
  :-q	smiley trying to touch its tongue to its nose
  :-e	disappointed smiley
  :-t	cross smiley
  :-i	semi-smiley
  :-o	smiley singing national anthem
  :-p	smiley sticking its tongue out (at you!)
  :-[	un-smiley blockhead
  :-]	smiley blockhead
  :-{	smiley variation on a theme
  :-}	ditto
  {:-)	smiley with its hair parted in the middle
  }:-)	above in an updraft
  :-a	lefty smilely touching tongue to nose
  :-s	smiley after a BIZARRE comment
  :-d	lefty smiley razzing you
  g-)	smiley with ponce-nez glasses
  :-j	left smiling smilely
  :-k	beats me, looks like something, tho.
  :-l	y. a. s.
  :-:	mutant smiley
  :-\	undecided smiley
  :-|	"have an ordinary day" smiley
  ;-)	winking smiley
  :-<	real sad smiley
  :->	y.a.s.
  :-z	y.a.c.s.
  :-x	"my lips are sealed" smiley
  :-c	bummed out smiley
  :-v	talking head smiley
  :v)	left-pointing nose smiley
  :-b	left-pointing tongue smiley
  :-/	lefty undecided smiley
  :-?	smilely smoking a pipe
  .-]	one-eyed smilely
  ,-}	wry and winking
  0-)	smiley cyclops (scuba diver?)
  :-=)	older smiley with mustache
  :u)	smiley with funny-looking left nose
  :n)	smiley with funny-looking right nose
  :<	midget unsmiley
  :>	midget smiley

	This hardly expended the list but it's most of what one can come
up with on a vt220 keyboard.  There are many variations, like swapping
around noses, eyes, mouths, etc.  Also there are many VLSF (very large
smiley faces), for example:

  }:^#})  mega-smiley:  updrafted bushy-mustached pointy nosed smiley with
			a double-chin

	Hope this list will spur people to use a larger variety of faces
to more accurately describe themselves and what they are saying.

From the keyboard of:  =:-#}   smiley punk with a mustache....

"We just get by the best that we can,
 we all gotta duck when the shit hits the fan"
Joe Szep			Boston University Academic Computing Center

UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!jts
ARPA: jts%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Pony Express:  111 Cummington St.  Boston, Ma. 02215	617-353-2780

Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"What a wonder is USENET; such wholesale production of conjecture from
such a trifling investment in fact."	-- Carl S. Gutekunst

hulsebos@philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos) (09/15/88)

In article <9076@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>This hardly expended the list but it's most of what one can come
>up with on a vt220 keyboard.  There are many variations, like swapping
>around noses, eyes, mouths, etc.
Here's one the Americans will like:

 ==):-)   Uncle Smiley Sam

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (09/25/88)

In article <9076@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

<..Bob
<-----
<
<	Here it is folks, the last word in smiley faces.  Below we have
<	smiley face...
<
<  :-`	smiley spitting out its chewing tobacco
<  :-1	smiley bland face
<  :-!		"
<  :-@	smiley face screaming
<  :-#|	smiley face with bushy mustache

[deleted more smiley faces than you can shake a disk at]

>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

Thanks Bob for the catalog of smiley faces. I propose that we form a
Working Group to officially define all possible smiley faces. Once done
we should get to work to develop an IFF standard in anticipation of all
of the object-oriented smiley face programs we've all been waiting for.

We need to specify a whole range of SFs, from 1 to 4 bits deep, expandable
to 8, to support 256 color faces. Furthermore a whole inter-smiley-face
standard needs to be built up with a Smiley.device driving it all.

Of course, SFs will be resolution independent to work on the Hedly monitor.
SFs must also be "hemisphere independent" so we can use " :-) ", while our
friends down under can use " (-: ".

The foreign character set will have to be taken into account. Doing so
will truely internationalize the smiley standard.  This will represent
the first step towards international humor standards.

Soon we'll have to start comp.sys.smiley just to support all of the
traffic. . .

Nah, forget it. . .

(Now, just how do we get SFs from Chinese characters?)

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"he's braindead Jim. . ."