[comp.sys.amiga] EPROM programmer

alh@hprmokg.rnd.hp (Al Harrington) (09/13/88)

Does anyone know if there is an EPROM programmer for the Amiga?

I have a friend that is interested in the Amiga, but is really interested
in an EPROM programmer he found for the IBM.  Could he rig that one to
a 500 or 2000?

Please e-mail responses to:

		ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!athena!alkazily

or to me:

		ucbvax!hplabs!hprmokg!alh

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| -Al Harrington            ________      |       Instant Guru BBS          |
|                           |__/\__|      |        (916) 457-7176           |
|                                         |     60 Megs - All Amiga!        |
| ..ucbvax!hplabs!hprmokg!alh             |     GT Net/Node  005/002        |
| ..ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!athena!haringtn |   Baud: 1200/2400 Hours: 24     |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|                 All comments are *MINE* and *MINE* alone                  |

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (09/14/88)

In article <13240002@hprmokg.rnd.hp> alh@hprmokg.rnd.hp (Al Harrington) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is an EPROM programmer for the Amiga?

  I've been considering building an EPROM programmer for a several months. It
would handle all 2716 --> 27512 devices (except the TI 3-voltage 2716), the
Motorola 8K X 8 24-pin chips (26764? I've got some, but forget the number) plus
any others I can find specs for. I could write a design-your-own-EPROM mode to
program any device that even resembles an EPROM.

  Thing is, how much demand would there be for a really high-performance EPROM
programmer at, say, $250? One with an on-board processor (6809 or 68000), 64K
or more of RAM to store programming data, "done" interrupt, automatic verify...
automatic high/low byte shuffling for 16-bit two-EPROM applications (possibly
0/1/2/3 byte shuffling for 32-bit 4-chip sets). Zorro-2 board, of course, with
a selection of outboard programming-socket modules - single, dual, gang. A
simple user interface: the screen shows a bunch of manufacturer's logos; select
one with the mouse, select a part number and go. (Actually, software would be
the hardest part of the project. Coding a user interface can drive ya to drink.)

  I think I could design the beast and start turning 'em out in four or five
months IF I was sure of selling enough to get quantity discounts on the PCB's.
Circuit boards that are <$50 in large quantities can be >$400 in small numbers.
I've got the tools to do the job and the money to start it up - would I make
some bucks or lose my ass?

  Another project I've been considering is a board with 4-8 serial ports on it
and, again, a local processor to handle data blocking. I'd want the local micro
to talk Xmodem, Ymodem and Kermit without bothering the Amiga's 68000 about it.
It would interrupt the Amiga at end-of-file, end-of-line, or every character.
The Amiga's micro would hand it a data block, it would interrupt when the block
is gone. Who'd be interested in that one? I'd need the services of a Real Amiga
System Programmer to do this one properly (how would you go about integrating a
Multiple-Serial-Handler into the system?).
--
Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341
  ihnp4 --\   bang --\ kontron -\

thad@cup.portal.com (09/15/88)

The EPROM programmer I use on the Amiga is an external one that plugs into
the serial port (and is controlled using a terminal emulator program).

Don't expect to find a plug-in card (as is common for PC machines) or
something that is like the Jason-Rannheim unit for the C64 (which I still
use, too; much more cost effective (getting a C64 and the Jason-Rannheim)
than buying, say, a "Data I-O" (tm) EPROM programmer.

FYI, the EPROM programmer I use on the Amiga is the EPROM-1 mfd by
International Microsytems Incorporated (in Sunnyvale, CA); this is one of
the finest units I've seen.  Plus, the fact it communicates over the serial
port means it can be used on any computer or even a "dumb" terminal.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

zofka@cernvax.UUCP (zofka) (09/15/88)

In article <13240002@hprmokg.rnd.hp> alh@hprmokg.rnd.hp (Al Harrington) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is an EPROM programmer for the Amiga?

Curently there is nothing but In the near future, there will be
a Multi-Purpose programmer... Not a IBM low capability style programmer
but a general purpose programmer...

Planned in our development: Eproms from 16k to 8meg (for future compa-
tibility, data sheets exists but no chips!) Pals and Mega pals, One
chip Micro-processos, Proms EEproms EPALS and so on. A complete
library to program the board for any chip and the capability of
generating or read any signal from 1 to 35 volts from any 64 pins
socket (from 1 pin to 64 )

Does anything of a so complete board exists on any popular system today?

It will no be cheap (1200$) but complete with one year upgrades and
waranty... Delivery date: Unknow (maybe 1st quarter 89)
Replys to me (zofka@cernvax.UUCP)

Milan

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/16/88)

In article <1843@loral.UUCP> dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
>In article <13240002@hprmokg.rnd.hp> alh@hprmokg.rnd.hp (Al Harrington) writes:
>>Does anyone know if there is an EPROM programmer for the Amiga?
>  I've been considering building an EPROM programmer for a several months. It
>would handle all 2716 --> 27512 devices (except the TI 3-voltage 2716), the
How about the MicroMint programmer? we had one at udel and it
worked ok. Cheap, too.
What about a PC-bus programmer, write your own driver and become a VAR?
Then you don't have to be in the hardware biz, which can be a real plus ...
>  Another project I've been considering is a board with 4-8 serial ports on it
>and, again, a local processor to handle data blocking. I'd want the local micro
Look at the Stallion card from Anvil, or any of the other good smart
serial cards. Plugs into the AT bus. Reduces your problem to one of
write a good ADOS driver. Just depends on whether you want to be dealing
with all the hardware hassles. Also, your turnaround is better. The
multiport AT cards are really pretty good nowadays ...
The stallion could really source and sink rs232 FAST.
ron

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (09/16/88)

    I use an Eprom programmer from B&C microsystems. I bought it in
kit form for 250.00, and put about 6 hours of labor and 40.00 of chips
into it.  I like it very much.  It runs on the serial port, using any
terminal emulator program.  It will upload/download intel hex files
or motorola sym files, or binary files.  The programmer is the model
1409C. B&C microsystems can be reached at 408-997-7685.  The programmer
will do virtually any eprom, and most single chip micros that have eprom
in them (except for motorola ones).  I have used this system on my Amiga
to develop code for my own 68000 breadboarded computer, for a 6801
microcontroller, and for numerous 8035 and 8748 projects.  The Amiga
makes a very nice platform for developing machine code, because I can
keep the editor, term program, assembler, and anything else I want
all running at the same time.

    Greg Garner
    h: 501-442-4847

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/16/88)

-
-Curently there is nothing but In the near future, there will be
-a Multi-Purpose programmer... Not a IBM low capability style programmer
-but a general purpose programmer...

.stuff deleted

I don't read that many German Amiga 'zines, but they sure has a lot
of things in them if you just decrypt the language. I remember
reading about a building project (typical IBM low capability style)
called Junior Prommer, which must have been in the Kickstart Magazine.
It may be just right for some people. It used 4 EPROM's for storing
the Kickstart ROM, and included program in C source.

I think you could by it ready-made too.

dillon@cory (Matt Dillon) (09/20/88)

	I use a GTEK.  It uses the serial port, implements a large set of
eproms and eeproms, and doesn't need any of those stupid personality modules.
It has an intelligent ascii interface.

	And, like most high quality programmers, it costs a bundle.  I
forgot what it was exactly... $500-$600.

					-Matt

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt Lidl) (09/20/88)

In article <1843@loral.UUCP> dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
>  Thing is, how much demand would there be for a really high-performance EPROM
>programmer at, say, $250? One with an on-board processor (6809 or 68000), 64K
>or more of RAM to store programming data, "done" interrupt, automatic verify...
>automatic high/low byte shuffling for 16-bit two-EPROM applications (possibly
>0/1/2/3 byte shuffling for 32-bit 4-chip sets). Zorro-2 board, of course...

	For the price quoted above, I'd be VERY interested in getting one...
Having a few SBC projects in mind, it is damn hard to do the ML coding
debug, testing stage without a decent EPROM burner...  If you do design
one, please try to put in EEPROM capability too...  I'm convinced that this
is the wave of the future...
	Of course, good software will make or break the project.  I suggest
that in addition to the above mentioned stuff you add in standard HEX
file handling (ie Intel and Motorola format data files, etc...)

>  Another project I've been considering is a board with 4-8 serial ports on it

	Wait a minute, I was thinking about this one too!  :-)

>Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341

==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)	(301)663-2332	==
==  UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!smaug		==
========"It's after 3am, no point in going to sleep now..."=======

ockenden@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Paul T Ockenden) (09/21/88)

[lots of stuff about eprom programmers deleteed.......]

Here in the UK, a company called 'Datel Electronics' make a very cheap
eprom programmer for the Amigas.

To Quote from their Ad., Easy to use, 2764/128/256/512, 12.5V or 21V,
NMOS and CMOS, Load and Save, HEX and ASCII dump, Menu driven proggy
fearures BLANK, READ, BURN, VERIFY commands, ZIF socket.

The price is 399.99 pounds sterling, and given that I think there's
about 1.5 - 2 dollars to the pound at the moment, the price including
postage to the states should be less than $100.

I must point out that I've not seen or used this devicec - I've only
seen the ads.

You can contact Datel on +44 782 237815 (orders)
                                 202285 (technical)
                                 264510 (FAX)

They take VISA and MC (we call them Barclaycard and Access!)

I have no connection with Datel at all..... I just want to save you
guys some money !!!!

--
Paul Ockenden                          uucp : ....uunet!prlb2!prlhp1!ockenden
Software type person                            ....mcvax!ukc!prlhp1!ockenden

In article <634@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> ockenden@prlhp1.UUCP (Paul T Ockenden) writes:

>The price is 399.99 pounds sterling, and given that I think there's
              ======
>about 1.5 - 2 dollars to the pound at the moment, the price including
>postage to the states should be less than $100.

Okay, so I'm completely stupid...... the correct price should have read
39.99 pounds sterling.......   Ooooops and sorry.....!

--

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (09/25/88)

In article <1843@loral.UUCP>, dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
> In article <13240002@hprmokg.rnd.hp> alh@hprmokg.rnd.hp (Al Harrington) writes:
> >Does anyone know if there is an EPROM programmer for the Amiga?
>
>   I've been considering building an EPROM programmer for a several months. It
> would handle all 2716 --> 27512 devices (except the TI 3-voltage 2716), the
> Motorola 8K X 8 24-pin chips (26764? I've got some, but forget the number) plus
> any others I can find specs for. I could write a design-your-own-EPROM mode to
> program any device that even resembles an EPROM.
>
>   Thing is, how much demand would there be for a really high-performance EPROM
> programmer at, say, $250? One with an on-board processor (6809 or 68000), 64K
> --
> Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341
>   ihnp4 --\   bang --\ kontron -\
>   hp-sdd --\ calmasd ->-> crash ->--> loral!dml
>   sdcrdcf -->--------> sdcsvax -/      (uucp)

Why not just build an interface to allow using a Promenade
(standard C64 EPROM burner, cost $100) via one of the Amiga
ports?  Promenades will burn most anything up to 27256 and will
do 27512's with a simple hardware mod.  I've used one for years
and swear by it.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

   ihnp4!mibte!jbh   or try   ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh