[comp.sys.amiga] Who owns who

C475141%UMCVMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Brian E Whitman) (09/23/88)

Recently one of my fellow employess was trying to sell me on the I*M PS-2.
After listening to all of his "great" points about how it is the MOST
SUPERIOR machine, I told him that his machine was nice but that you can get
even more for less $$$.  "No way, With what?" An Amiga 2000.  Oh yeah but
what about software?  Another employee spoke up and said it is out there.

Well we chatted back and forth then he said something that I don't think is
true.  He says that Commodore is owned by Pet.  At least 51% of there stock
is held by Pet.  And that the office in PA is only the American home office.
That the bases of the Company is in Europe under some third name.

So tell me does Pet own Commodore, Or not.  Since he is not a member of this
Relay If you  could direct your responces to him I would appreciate it.  He
can be reached at C424869@UMCVMB.BITNET.  I'll get a copy of it because I am
a recipient of Amiga-Relay.

Thanks for your support.

In article <4188@louie.udel.EDU> (Brian E Whitman) writes:
>Well we chatted back and forth then he said something that I don't think is
>true.  He says that Commodore is owned by Pet.  At least 51% of there stock
>is held by Pet.  And that the office in PA is only the American home office.
>That the bases of the Company is in Europe under some third name.

Well Commodore can tell you better but looking at the CBM annual report can
give you some idea of who owns what and where and how. Basically, Pet is
the name of one of Commodore's products, not a company. As far as I can
tell the main parent company is Commodore Electronics Ltd in the Bahamas
(that's who Irving works for) and Commodore Business Machines is the US
sales and development organization (wholly owned etc etc) Canada has it's
own company and so do several countries in europe. Commodore-Amiga is another
entity too. Anyway, I believe that's why Commodore has a tough time getting
it's act together because it's more like a corporate herd (covy?) than
something you could point at and say "That's Commodore."

Anyway, most of this stuff is available from various reports. If you are
interested in this stuff you should buy 10 or 20 shares (it cost less
than a memory card :-)) assign your proxy to Dale and then read all the
stuff they send you about where the best revenues are, how they think
they are doing etc.

--Chuck McManis

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (09/24/88)

In article <4188@louie.udel.EDU> C475141%UMCVMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Brian E Whitman) writes:
>Recently one of my fellow employess was trying to sell me on the I*M PS-2.
>After listening to all of his "great" points about how it is the MOST
>SUPERIOR machine, I told him that his machine was nice but that you can get
>even more for less $$$.  "No way, With what?" An Amiga 2000.  Oh yeah but
>what about software?  Another employee spoke up and said it is out there.
>
>Well we chatted back and forth then he said something that I don't think is
>true.  He says that Commodore is owned by Pet.  At least 51% of there stock
>is held by Pet.  And that the office in PA is only the American home office.
>That the bases of the Company is in Europe under some third name.
>
>So tell me does Pet own Commodore, Or not.  Since he is not a member of this
>Relay If you  could direct your responces to him I would appreciate it.  He
>can be reached at C424869@UMCVMB.BITNET.  I'll get a copy of it because I am
>a recipient of Amiga-Relay.
>
>Thanks for your support.

Your friend remembers only part of Commodore history.  Commodore began many
years ago as a typewriter company.  They have also sold calculators and office
furniture, among other things.  In 1978, they produced one of the first
personal computers, and called it the PET (Personal Electronics Transactor -
from which our TRANSACTOR magazine gets its name).  Commodore computers were
called PETs for several years, but then they moved to other names.  The 8032
was called a Business Machine, and was followed by 8096, B128, B256, C64,
C128, and a number of other machines.  Commodore has owned and produced
all of these.    It is true that they have divisions in many countries, but
I believe that the office in West Chester is now the main office for the
company.  It is my understanding that the major stockholder is Irving Gould,
but I'm hardly an authority on Commodore stock.  I just like their computers.

Betty Clay
     .......killer!pollux!bjc

In article <4188@louie.udel.EDU> C475141%UMCVMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Brian E Whitman) writes:

>Well we chatted back and forth then he said something that I don't think is
>true.  He says that Commodore is owned by Pet.  At least 51% of there stock
>is held by Pet.  And that the office in PA is only the American home office.
>That the bases of the Company is in Europe under some third name.

Thats right, Commodore is owned by PET.

And PET is owned by VIC.

And VIC is owned by a consortium of third world drug exporters who
want to de-stabilize fourth world CIA supported puppet governments.

No, really. I read it in the World Weekly News.

Next you'll be telling us Elvis is dead. I mean really.

--
          I think you'll find there's less to me than meets the eye.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard