[comp.sys.amiga] CMI board causing the Green Screen?

mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (09/15/88)

I have a CMI board installed on my 2000 and lately I see to have problems
with applications using the serial port.  Every so often, it crashes and
on reboot, it gets stuck at the green screen.  I do the three-finger
salute and then it comes up fine.  Could the CMI board be causing this?
Accordging to a message I have from Bill Koester, green means BADROM.

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak
 		Workstation Consultant
 		U of M Computing Center User Services
 Via Internet:	mike@ninja.cc.umich.edu
 Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ninja.cc.umich.edu!mike

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (09/19/88)

From article <684@mailrus.cc.umich.edu:, by mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak):
: I have a CMI board installed on my 2000 and lately I see to have problems
: with applications using the serial port.  Every so often, it crashes and
: on reboot, it gets stuck at the green screen.  I do the three-finger
: salute and then it comes up fine.  Could the CMI board be causing this?
: Accordging to a message I have from Bill Koester, green means BADROM.
:
	That's always possible. When you have the system running at 14Mhz
on the 2000 or 500, and you have the jumper (J1) installed, you're running
the ROMs at 14Mhz also. I suppose some ROMs out there don't quite like the
faster speed and would report errors. Try setting your default speed to 7
and removing the J1 jumper. That should fix it. Your board will think it's
in a 1000 then.
:
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:  In Real Life:	Michael Nowak
:  		Workstation Consultant
:  		U of M Computing Center User Services
:  Via Internet:	mike@ninja.cc.umich.edu
:  Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ninja.cc.umich.edu!mike
:
:  Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's too bad my news poster program won't let me have long .signatures...
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

billc@percival.UUCP (William Coldwell) (09/19/88)

In article <684@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu () writes:
>I have a CMI board installed on my 2000 and lately I see to have problems
                                    ^-Which revision?
>with applications using the serial port.  Every so often, it crashes and
       ^-Which ones?                                ^-How often?
>on reboot, it gets stuck at the green screen.  I do the three-finger
>salute and then it comes up fine.  Could the CMI board be causing this?
                                              ^-Us? Nah...
>Accordging to a message I have from Bill Koester, green means BADROM.
                                                   ^-ugly color.

> In Real Life:	Michael Nowak
> Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ninja.cc.umich.edu!mike

Is your jumper set for forced 14MHz or toggleable 7?

Bill

--
  William J. Coldwell   Creative Microsystems  "We the unwilling,
Amiga Attitude Adjuster  10110 SW Nimbus  B1    led by the unknowning,

mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (09/21/88)

In article <1161@agora.UUCP> billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:
>	That's always possible. When you have the system running at 14Mhz
>on the 2000 or 500, and you have the jumper (J1) installed, you're running
>the ROMs at 14Mhz also. I suppose some ROMs out there don't quite like the
>faster speed and would report errors. Try setting your default speed to 7
>and removing the J1 jumper. That should fix it. Your board will think it's
>in a 1000 then.
>--
>     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
>                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey
>     Creative Microsystems   Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
>     (503) 684-9300          (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

My board didn't come with documentation describing the jumpers on the
CMI board.  What are the various jumper settings?  Also, do new 1.3
ROMS work better at the higher speed?  If I take the J1 jumper off, can
I still use ToggleSpeed to increase the speed and not get the Green
Screen?

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak
 		Workstation Consultant
 		U of M Computing Center User Services
 Via Internet:	mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu
 Via UUCP:	mailrus!shogun!mike

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (09/25/88)

From article <696@mailrus.cc.umich.edu:, by mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak):
:
: My board didn't come with documentation describing the jumpers on the
: CMI board.  What are the various jumper settings?  Also, do new 1.3
: ROMS work better at the higher speed?  If I take the J1 jumper off, can
: I still use ToggleSpeed to increase the speed and not get the Green
: Screen?
:
	There were a few shipped without the little extra page that told
about the jumper settings. Sorry 'bout that! Anyway, here they are:

                               |  U2.PAL                 |
                               ---------------------------
                                           o  o  o  o  o
                                           1  2  3  1  2
                                           -------  ----
                                             J2      J1

When J1 is shorted (Default on the 500/2000 boards) the FastROM mode is
enabled. (We called it the 500/2000 <-> 1000 setting on that sheet.) It
is possible that this was causing your problem, although I've never seen
one that failed. When J2 is shorted between pins 1 & 2 you're in the 14M
Forced mode. This means that the board powers up at 14Mhz and is *not*
toggleable. Some of the newer Rev 3 board don't have this option (Look on
the back of the board for a blue jumper wire under J2 on the older Rev 3s
and a 560 Ohm resistor on the newer Rev 3s.) If you have the newer Rev 3,
a 2000 and wish the 14M Forced mode, give me a ring and I'll explain how
to change it. When J2 is shorted between pins 2 & 3 on the older Rev 3
boards you're in the standard mode. You power up and warm boot at 7Mhz and
use ToggleSpeed (or the newer PA) to change to 14Mhz.
	The Rev 4 boards (not shipping yet, but RSN...) will allow you to
have both 7 or 14Mhz default with all machines and they have a jumper for
the 500 or 2000 selection. This mainly helps us tune the board better for
all those Amiga/peripheral combos out there. It's possible that the 1000
Rev 4 board will allow a 14Mhz forced mode also. But not tested yet...
: