[comp.sys.amiga] Original Demos

donw@zehntel (Don White) (09/24/88)

        I would like to SECOND Kurt Lidls' request for upgrading the original
  demos.

        I bought my Amiga and began raving about it to others because of seeing
  the Mandrill. My first impression was that the Mandrill was TAPED TO THE
  COMPUTER MONITOR. It was just TOO GOOD for a home computer. I have since
  gone out and sold friends and family on buying Amigas too!

        It is a more eloquent sales pitch than anything that could have been
  TOLD to me by a salesperson!!!

  Don White
  {ihnp4 | akgua | siesmo}!zehntel!donw
  Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (09/25/88)

In article <692@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel (Don White) writes:

>        I would like to SECOND Kurt Lidls' request for upgrading the original
>  demos.

I want to THIRD it!  I want my Boing ball and Mandrill!
But seriously, CATS, please consider it?
And CONGRATULATIONS on releasing 1.3!!!

P.S.  Is CATS based in West Chester or Los Gatos?  I ask this because a
      Spanish friend of mine told me that Los Gatos means ... cats!

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "MIT isn't Hell.  It's where you go when      *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu          you've been bad in Hell." - Anon.            *

In article <692@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel (Don White) writes:
>      I would like to SECOND Kurt Lidls' request for upgrading the original
>demos.

	Let it not be said that the WorkBench 1.0 demos were unforgettably
great.  I still have a copy of the disk, and surprisingly, a lot of them
still work.  Boing! sold me on the Amiga.

	However, I'd have to say that, today, those demos are probably
passe'.  Boing! has been copied so much that I can't think of any computer
that doesn't have a version available for it (this is obviously a testament
to the impact that the demo had).  But I fear that they're a wee bit old
for a public that constantly insists on being totally blown away in new
ways.

	This is what we hoped to accomplish with the Killer Demo Contest
last year, and which we achieved with some success.  I have yet to see this
year's entries, but I suspect we'll achieve roughly the same level of
success, which to me isn't good enough.  What we really need is someone or
some team whose sole purpose in life for a time is to create a demo that
*will* Blow Everyone's Mind.

	Our best bet right now would probably be to rip-off the NeXT demos. :-)

	NewTek has served well as a creator of demos for the Amiga.  Demo
Reel 1 has enjoyed enormous popularity, even though it hardly does anything.
Demo Reel 2, from what I saw at FAUG, will be even more popular.

	However, we can't expect NewTek to keep cranking them out.  While
it's good P.R. for them, it consumes a great deal of their resources.  We
also can't expect Commodore to develop demos, as they already have a
shortage of personnel (the number of people directly involved in Amiga
hardware and software development can be counted on your fingers).  I'd
be inclined to nominate myself, but I'm already busy (at the moment) and
would have difficulty taking out the two or three months I would deem
necessary to create a worthy demo, a project which I probably wouldn't be
paid for.  (And don't suggest that Commodore should hire me to do this.  If
they had that kind of money, they'd hire another full-time tech whom they'd
get a lot more value out of.)

	Therefore, I sumbit that the best demos we can produce are solid,
reliable, and useful commercial products.  Macintosh sells on the strength
of the products you can buy for it, not for the demos you can get for it.
We should try to emulate this; impressive, solid products will sell the
Amiga.

	Of course, writing the odd display hack won't hurt....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac