[comp.sys.amiga] RangeRand

utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (09/24/88)

I asked once before about RangeRand() and Manx' c.lib, and
someone said it wasn't there, but in Amiga.lib instead.
   In fact, it is in both, but Amiga.lib doesn't come with
Manx C so I'm stuck with Manx'.  That's ok because, as Leo
(wouldn't it be nice to be recognized the world over by
your first name? :-) pointed out to me the dist. is poor at
best.

   That is not the problem.

   The question is/should have been: Is the c.lib fully
documented anywhere?  I have the sources, but they only tell
me what the code is.  They don't substitute for docs.  That
is my main problem/complaint/question blah blah blah.

   The specific problem with RangeRand() is whether the
seed (RangeSeed) is supposed to be public or not.  I would
hope so, but while working on my latest program I found
I wanted to be able to seed the function, and the library
source clearly shows it as not public.  Is this a
bug?  I can fix it easily because I have the source,
but I just want to know if that was an oversight in the .lib.

Thank you for your support.
-- Todd M. Lewis
#include <std.discl>

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (09/26/88)

In article <5401@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:

>    The specific problem with RangeRand() is whether the
> seed (RangeSeed) is supposed to be public or not.  I would
> hope so...

> I wanted to be able to seed the function, and the library
> source clearly shows it as not public.  Is this a
> bug?  I can fix it easily because I have the source,
> but I just want to know if that was an oversight in the .lib.

I believe that it is a bug in the Manx source, because as of 1.2,
RangeSeed became a public-accessible function.  I know, cause I was
there and was the person who insisted (OK, REQUESTED) that it be
made accessible to the outside world.  As far as amiga.lib is concerned,
it becomes accessible by declaring

	extern long RangeSeed;

You could fix your Manx c.lib to make it accessible the same way, then
you'd be compatible with amiga.lib.

Make sure that you send this info to Manx also, so they can fix the source
for the next release.  YOU found the bug. :-)

Rob Peck