[comp.sys.amiga] Structured Graphics Standard

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (09/08/88)

As long as we're bringing up old ideas like PATH:---

4 or 5 months ago I posted a message suggesting that we need a
structured graphics standard for SIMPLE graphics - lines, filled
polygons and ellipses, and multi-font text.  I suggested that as long
as Apple already invented Quickdraw, we might as well use that -it's
simple, relatively easy to implement (all we're missing is RoundRects
and arbitrary regions - ok, the latter ain't so easy) - and there's
400 zillion people out there using MacDraw.  The overall net response
was "nawww, we can do better than that."

Months later, we still don't have a standard for structured 2d graphics,
and there are now 525 zillion people who already use the QuickDraw standard
whether they know it or not, over in the Mac community.  All we need
("all," he says!) is a quickdraw.library and a QUIK form for IFF, which
just contains a binary duplicate of an apple qd file.  Heck, I'd do
it myself, if I were not an Extremely Busy Person, and, more to the
point, an inept programmer.

Well, so whaddya think?  If the prevailing opinion is that the subject
is dead, I apologize abjectly, and when I want to make a poster or
graph for a laser printer, I will hide my face and sneak over to my
roommate's Mac.

thanks...
		-Ranjit

"If beginner's luck, then absolute beginners luck absolutely."
"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	ucbvax!rutgers!super!eniac!...

:
:Months later, we still don't have a standard for structured 2d graphics,
:and there are now 525 zillion people who already use the QuickDraw standard
:whether they know it or not, over in the Mac community.  All we need
:("all," he says!) is a quickdraw.library and a QUIK form for IFF, which
:just contains a binary duplicate of an apple qd file.  Heck, I'd do
:it myself, if I were not an Extremely Busy Person, and, more to the
:point, an inept programmer.
:
:Well, so whaddya think?  If the prevailing opinion is that the subject
:is dead, I apologize abjectly, and when I want to make a poster or
:graph for a laser printer, I will hide my face and sneak over to my
:roommate's Mac.
:
:thanks...
:		-Ranjit

	I wish there were too, but there isn't any single format that
is suitable for the job.  There are a thousand data structures and a
thousand storage formats for lines alone, and each is well suited to
a given range of applications (in terms of efficiency).

	For instance, some applications will want to store the points
as real numbrs (pick a format!), or as integers... but how big an integer?
Several applications need 32 bits / value, others need only 16.  Others
even less!  What kind of data structure?  Quad Tree?  Simple List?  Are
coordinates stored relative to local origins for objects?  What kind of
objects should be supported?  etc...

					-Matt

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (09/10/88)

In article <8809090717.AA15695@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	I wish there were [a structured graphics standard]
>too, but there isn't any single format that
>is suitable for the job.  There are a thousand data structures and a
>thousand storage formats for lines alone, and each is well suited to
>a given range of applications (in terms of efficiency).

My feeling is that QuickDraw is good for a lot of things, and it would
be nice to use it RIGHT NOW while waiting for the more general or more
interesting standards to arrive.  QuickDraw (from my experience) fills
just about all the needs for business graphics (charts & graphs),
posters (text + borders and bitmap pictures), line illustrations, and
such.  I have also used it for simple electronic diagrams, illustrating
experiment records for physics labs (pictures of the equipment, etc.),
and making logos for stationery.  (Of course, I should reiterate that
the main advantage of a simple standard like this over bitmaps like
you get out of DPaint or DigiPaint is that the resulting images can
be rendered at any resolution, so look killer on a laser printer.  Oh,
and, being structured, you can manipulate pieces without having to
worry about erasing and redrawing stuff.)

>	For instance, some applications will want to store the points
>as real numbrs (pick a format!), or as integers... but how big an integer?
>Several applications need 32 bits / value, others need only 16.  Others
>even less!  What kind of data structure?  Quad Tree?  Simple List?  Are
>coordinates stored relative to local origins for objects?  What kind of
>objects should be supported?  etc...

Answer to all these is - do it the way Apple did it.  They obviously
put a lot of thought into QuickDraw, and it's pretty nice.

I'd better say this loud - [turn volume up one notch]:

I'm not suggesting that QuickDraw is a good all-purpose standard, nor
that settling on QuickDraw as a standard should preclude the further
development of more complex, specialized standards for drafting,
pc-board layout, etc.  Simply that it's a useful standard for a lot
of things, and the fact that it's compatible with a zillion macintoshes
doesn't hurt.

[volume down again]

Thanks for your opinions...

	-ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	ucbvax!rutgers!super!eniac!...

Arved@cup.portal.com (09/10/88)

On this subject, here's my two cents worth:

     We already have such graphic standards used in PC and MAC programs.   My
preference is to either adopt the AutoCAD file standard (first choice), or
the MACDraw format.  While we're at it, how about a program to convert HPGL
or otherwise facilitate printing of HPGL files through AmigaDOS printer
devices?

     Yes, I know, we're talking two seperate things here, but you get what
I pay for ;'D.

- Arved     Arved@cup.portal.com

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/11/88)

In article <8934@cup.portal.com>, Arved@cup.portal.com writes:
>      We already have such graphic standards used in PC and MAC programs.

Unfortunately, they're not IFF formats.

One nice thing about IFF is that even if you can't understand the format,
you can at least browse it and look at '(c) ', AUTH, and other such chunks.
You can even manipulate IFF files to some extent without knowing the first
thing about their contents... see, for example, the IFF CAT archiver.

It is, however, reasonable to ask how the IFF drawing and CAD formats are
doing...
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (09/12/88)

In article <8809090717.AA15695@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>:simple, relatively easy to implement (all we're missing is RoundRects
>:and arbitrary regions - ok, the latter ain't so easy) - and there's
>:400 zillion people out there using MacDraw.  The overall net response
>:was "nawww, we can do better than that."

   But just do we want to do that is better?  higher resolution?  object
oriented?  color?

>:Months later, we still don't have a standard for structured 2d graphics,
>:and there are now 525 zillion people who already use the QuickDraw standard

   There was one posted that was fairly nice, but when I tried to reply to the
author, I found his account had evaporated.. anyone know where to find:
%			Ross Cunniff
%			...{ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!cunniff
%			cunniff%hpda@hplabs.ARPA

>	I wish there were too, but there isn't any single format that
>is suitable for the job.  There are a thousand data structures and a
>thousand storage formats for lines alone, and each is well suited to
>a given range of applications (in terms of efficiency).

   Line and points alone are not the best thing we can do though, although you
can do anything most devices can do, the programs end up driving essencially
a virtual dumb device rather than driving a virtual (or real) intelligent
graphics engine -- I'd rather write code for an intelligent graphics engine.

>	For instance, some applications will want to store the points
>as real numbrs (pick a format!), or as integers... but how big an integer?

   As big as you can handle efficiently -- can always throw away part of it
if you don't need it all, but it will be much harder to expand to more bits
after the initial design.

>Are coordinates stored relative to local origins for objects?

   Objects are pretty useless if they don't reside in their own individual
coordinate space since you can't transform them easily otherwise (or use them
more than once).

>What kind of objects should be supported?

   Lines, points, rectangles (squares?), ellipses (circles?), different fonts,
area fills, perhaps clipping rectangles and windows, ability to build more
complex objects from less complex ones... in general, all the "built-in"
capabilities of the Amiga and more?

   How about color?  Want to be able to support only the Amiga's capabilities,
or do we want to do more and hope it catches on or the Amiga becomes more
sophisticated in that respect?

Pat White  (ain@s.cc.purdue.edu)

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (09/14/88)

I have long wanted a MACDraw like package for my Amiga, without
having to buy a CAD package. And this has been where this thread
has been going. Let's not forget about color.

MacDraw is easier to implement since it is in black and white, on a
color machine and with color printers I think a true structured graphics
standard would do to colors what vector drawing packages do for various
display devices. Let me elaborate with an example.

Suppose I was working with a color version of MacDraw and I had
access to a shadow like device as DPaint II has. In the underlying
database for this picture I would expect the shadow to be stored not
as "color these bits thusly" since that is in the raster rendering
paradigm, but I would rather expect the picture to be stored as
"cut the intensity of objects and portions of objects in this region
by half" or something. This could then be rendered in a variety of
means, which ever is best suited to the displaying device (dithering
for printers, HAM or HBRITE for Amigas, 256 colors for MacIIs, etc.).

				 	|_________________________

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (09/14/88)

In article <2336@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>I have long wanted a MACDraw like package for my Amiga, without
>having to buy a CAD package. And this has been where this thread
>has been going. Let's not forget about color.

This just occurred to me: Aegis Animator is a color structured graphics
editor.  Add a grid, larger-than-screen-size workspace, and measurements,
and you pretty much have MacDraw in color.  A heck of a lot cheaper than
most CAD programs, too.

Why it's not REALLY a substitute for MacDraw: the interface is clumsy;
it runs in low resolution only; it's missing the above mentioned features.
But it's close!  If it could output its scene data in PostScript, I
would probably use it as a draw program despite the problems...

Gives me a chance to plug my idea for a S.G. standard again!  If there
were a standardized format for these things, we would only need one
postscript translator...

	- Ranjit

		Unremarkable was I ere I saw Elba Kramer, nu?
"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	ucbvax!rutgers!super!eniac!...

cunniff@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) (09/14/88)

In article <3550@s.cc.purdue.edu> ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) writes:
>>:Months later, we still don't have a standard for structured 2d graphics,
>>:and there are now 525 zillion people who already use the QuickDraw standard
>   There was one posted that was fairly nice, but when I tried to reply to the
>author, I found his account had evaporated.. anyone know where to find:
>%			Ross Cunniff
>%			...{ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!cunniff
>%			cunniff%hpda@hplabs.ARPA

Well, I am here; hpda has (for some reason) decided to stop forwarding my
mail.  A new address to use is in my signature.  I've been relatively
busy the past month so I haven't had time to change much in the DR2D format.
I would suggest, however, that comp.sys.amiga.tech would be a more appropriate
place to hold this discussion.

Pat White  (ain@s.cc.purdue.edu)

				Ross Cunniff
				Hewlett-Packard Colorado Language Lab
				...{ucbvax,hplabs}!hpfcla!cunniff
				cunniff%hpfcla@hplabs.ARPA

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (09/15/88)

In article <5152@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>Gives me a chance to plug my idea for a S.G. standard again!  If there
>were a standardized format for these things, we would only need one
>postscript translator...

Anyone remember NAPLPS?  Text, device-independent graphics (bit and/or object)
with variable precision (for more detail, use more bits), macros of anything,
and standard characters for all Romance languages.

NAPLPS is great for input/output with an intelligent graphics device, but
not for storing data.  For example, NAPLPS doesn't provide for labelled
objects in the data (it can put a text label on a screen, but a CAD program
can't look in the data for object "WIDGET1").  NAPLPS is also not 3D.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (09/16/88)

In article <2336@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>Suppose I was working with a color version of MacDraw and I had
>access to a shadow like device as DPaint II has. In the underlying
>paradigm, but I would rather expect the picture to be stored as
>"cut the intensity of objects and portions of objects in this region
>by half" or something. This could then be rendered in a variety of

   But where do you want the light source for the shadows... and how many?

   Sounds like you are starting to want a picture renderer.. and although
I haven't seen anything of the Renderman file format, it is probably a better
idea to go with than invent our own.

-- Pat White
ARPA/UUCP: k.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (09/18/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 8-Sep-88 Structured Graphics Standard*
> *Ranjit Bhatnagar@eniac.s (1411)*

> 4 or 5 months ago I posted a message suggesting that we need a
> structured graphics standard for SIMPLE graphics - lines, filled
> polygons and ellipses, and multi-font text.  I suggested that as long
> as Apple already invented Quickdraw, we might as well use that -it's
> simple, relatively easy to implement (all we're missing is RoundRects
> and arbitrary regions - ok, the latter ain't so easy) - and there's
> 400 zillion people out there using MacDraw.  The overall net response
> was "nawww, we can do better than that."

My response at the time (after checking with my MacFriends) was that the
Quickdraw PICT format was documented by Apple for debugging purposes only.  The
actual code to manipulate PICTS is part of the Apple ROMs and is subject to
change without notice.  Developers are actively discouraged from writing code
to manipulate PICTS directly.

Hence, it is impossible to write an Amiga PICT reader and guarantee it to be
compatible with Apple PICTS present and future.

If you wish to use PICT as a basis for an Amiga standard, then do so.  But
don't try to push PICT on us for compatibility reasons, which (in my opinion)
are the only really compelling arguments for using PICT.

                                --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"

In article <3563@s.cc.purdue.edu> ain@s.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Patrick White) writes:
>In article <2336@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>   Sounds like you are starting to want a picture renderer.. and although
>I haven't seen anything of the Renderman file format, it is probably a better
>				^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>idea to go with than invent our own.

	I spoke to someone inside LucasFilms who appears to be very familiar
with the RenderMan specification.  I've also glazed over it myself.

	RenderMan is a library interface specification for rendering
software.  That is to say, the document declares that, if thou art creating
a renderer, then thou shalt name thy functions this, and they shall accept
these parameters.

	There currently is no file format specification for RenderMan
scenes, though one is said to be in development.  As it stands now, you have
to write a program to take a given vendor's scene/object storage format and
pass it to RenderMan.  Evidently (#define RUMOR_MODE), one or two people
inside Pixar or LucasFilms who are also Amiga owners have written routines
to take scenes created with Sculpt-3D and VideoScape-3D, and pass them to
RenderMan renderers using a Pixar as the target.

	Allen Hastings is also said to be working on a RenderMan-conforming
renderer.  Scott Peterson of Byte-by-Byte has said that they will be
supporting RenderMan.  The standard appears to be taking off.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

	I did NOT write this, somebody else did and I included it in my
response.  I suppose this sort of thing happens all the time (applying the
right quote to the wrong person), but I like to correct mistakes associated
with myself.  Besides, I need to write enough here so the inews line eater
doesn't get upset ... or is it pnews, I forget.

mikb@stcns3.stc.oz (Mike Benson) (09/21/88)

In article <wXAhz4y00VsfM300ty@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael
Portuesi) writes:
>> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 8-Sep-88 Structured Graphics Standard*
>> *Ranjit Bhatnagar@eniac.s (1411)*
>
>> 4 or 5 months ago I posted a message suggesting that we need a
>> structured graphics standard for SIMPLE graphics - lines, filled
>> polygons and ellipses, and multi-font text.  I suggested that as long
>> as Apple already invented Quickdraw, we might as well use that -it's
>> simple, relatively easy to implement (all we're missing is RoundRects
>> and arbitrary regions - ok, the latter ain't so easy) - and there's
>> 400 zillion people out there using MacDraw.  The overall net response
>> was "nawww, we can do better than that."
>

>My response at the time (after checking with my MacFriends) was that the
>Quickdraw PICT format was documented by Apple for debugging purposes only.  The
>actual code to manipulate PICTS is part of the Apple ROMs and is subject to
>change without notice.  Developers are actively discouraged from writing code
>to manipulate PICTS directly.
>
>Hence, it is impossible to write an Amiga PICT reader and guarantee it to be
>compatible with Apple PICTS present and future.
>
>If you wish to use PICT as a basis for an Amiga standard, then do so.  But
>don't try to push PICT on us for compatibility reasons, which (in my opinion)
>are the only really compelling arguments for using PICT.
>
> --M

It would appear from this that using Quickdraw PICT is inappropriate as a
"standard" for structured graphics, because it's proprietary.  OK, what about
one of the internationally approved graphics standards, like GKS?  GKS, via
something called Workstation Independent Storage, and using a related standard called the Computer Graphics Metafile provides a device-independent way of handling graphic structures (called
segments) which can be stored, transferred, printed, transformed,
combined (a segment can consist of a combination of primitives and instances of
other segments) and  (even) displayed.  It handles lines, areas and text in different colours and
patterns, and best of all, most of the basic drawing primitives are already
available as ROM kernel routines.  Why not go with a real standard for once,
instead of running to the first vendor who happens to define a format?

The idea of a structured graphics standard is not a bad one, but I think that
it would be better to use a non-proprietary standard, which will, I think, do
most of what you want, rather than make yourself a slave to the whims of a
vendor.

>Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
>ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

Mike Benson

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Structured Graphics Standard
--
Mike Benson			+---------------+	   mikb@stcns3.stc.OZ.AU
Alcatel-STC Pty Ltd		|    CAVEAT	|

mikhe@mystefix.liu.se (Mike Henry) (09/21/88)

In article <925@mystefix.liu.se> mikhe@mystefix.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:

	[Munch, Munch, Munch...		BURP!!]

I would just like to take the opportunity and add a few comments:

	1. I believe that 400-525 zillion people use MacDraw and CricketDraw
		because they are EASY to learn and use (and also because
		they have Mac's, yucc B^). Not to say that our beloved isn't,
		but I believe that we sometimes forget how important it is to
		really make it easy for the beginner. Things like online help
		an iconification helps. There is a HELP button right in the
		middle of the keyboard, is it OFTEN used?? Don't you think
		programs should be self explanatory?? This adds size to the
		program of course. Copy protection requirements have forced
		developers to make the program (to say the least) cryptic
		without the manual which is also a detriment to the EASY
		program concept. (OK I got a little carried away)

	2. I don't know of one Laserprinter (with or without PostScript)
		that outputs hardcopies in COLOR. Also few copying machines
		duplicate color print in color! OK other color printers
		are improving their output quality, but I feel that a nice
		and ordinary Draw program that outputs in Black and White
		(so that you can run it through your Xerox copier and
		actually DUPLICATE and DISTRIBUTE it) would do the trick.

	Any flames ??
				--Mike

		Disclaim ? ME ? I don't even have an employer !!	  ///
-----------------------------------------------------------------------` ///
UUCP : mikhe@majestix.liu.se OR						///
	{seismo,mcvax,munnari}!enea!liuida!majestix!mikhe	   \\\ ///
ARPA : mikhe%majestix.{ida.liu.se,UUCP}@seismo.CSS.GOV		    \\X//
SNAIL: Mike Henry, Alsattersg. 3C:20, S-582 51 Linkoping SWEDEN      VVV

smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann - I.S.er) (09/22/88)

In article <5053@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>As long as we're bringing up old ideas like PATH:---
>
>4 or 5 months ago I posted a message suggesting that we need a
>structured graphics standard for SIMPLE graphics - lines, filled
>polygons and ellipses, and multi-font text.  I suggested that as long
   - much deleted to conserve bandwidth
>		-Ranjit

I believe that the standard already exists.  I read a couple of years ago in
B*TE about a graphics standard called _North American Presentation Level
Protocol Syntax_ (NAPLPS).  The standard was to be used as on both high level
graphics machines as well as lo-res terminals, included ways of encoding lines,
areas, colours, etc.  The standard's way of handling graphics so that both high
res and lo-res machines could use the same information seemed particularly
intriguing.  (The standard included multiple fonts to boot.)

Please note;  it has been a considerable time since I read the article, so the
information may be dated.  If I come across the issues, I will post them too.
I have the original articles, but, not being electronic, they are
buried at the bottom of a filing cabinet somewhere...

P.S.  Last I heard, DEC was supporting the standard on some of their terminals.
This is a rumour.  I don't remember where I read this last bit.

        -=-
-=- Shannon Mann -=- smann@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
        -=-

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/22/88)

Yet another reason it should be an IFF standard:

	FORM xxxx
	 DRAW
	  FORM yyyy	; Here's where you put the texture maps...
	   ILBM
	  FORM zzzz
	   ILBM

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (09/23/88)

In article <wXAhz4y00VsfM300ty@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>> 4 or 5 months ago I posted a message suggesting that we need a
>> structured graphics standard for SIMPLE graphics - lines, filled
>> polygons and ellipses, and multi-font text.  I suggested that as long
>> as Apple already invented Quickdraw, we might as well use that -it's
>> simple, relatively easy to implement (all we're missing is RoundRects
>> and arbitrary regions - ok, the latter ain't so easy) - and there's
>> 400 zillion people out there using MacDraw.  The overall net response
>> was "nawww, we can do better than that."
:
>My response at the time (after checking with my MacFriends) was that the
>Quickdraw PICT format was documented by Apple for debugging purposes only.  The
>actual code to manipulate PICTS is part of the Apple ROMs and is subject to
>change without notice.  Developers are actively discouraged from writing code
>to manipulate PICTS directly.
:
>Hence, it is impossible to write an Amiga PICT reader and guarantee it to be
>compatible with Apple PICTS present and future.
:
>If you wish to use PICT as a basis for an Amiga standard, then do so.  But
>don't try to push PICT on us for compatibility reasons, which (in my opinion)
>are the only really compelling arguments for using PICT.
:                                --M
>Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University

Okay, I've said this before, but it's embarrassing to have what we all
consider to be the world's greatest computer, but have to look to a Mac
if we want to do some documentation that's got some simple graphics in it.
We've got a secretary up the hall that uses a Mac II and MacDraw ALL DAY
LONG to turn out marketing presentations full of very complicated line
graphics, but I can't find a package on the Amiga that will let me
do a simple flow chart, structure chart, org chart, block diagram,
or what have you in any kind of reasonable time.  ( I tried once.
Took one of my hand-drawn documents up to the dealer and played with
two or three paint packages, which was the best they could recommend.
It took me about 45 minutes to manipulate the drawing (which had about
5 bubbles and some label text) to the point where it was anywhere
near presentable.  At that, it wasn't high enough resolution. )

So how come we don't have the equivalent of a MacDraw program on Ami?

As for compatibility with the PICT structures, I find it difficult to
believe, even given some of the stupid stunts that Apple can pull, that
they would be stupid enought to make changes to the structure that would
render all the existing MacDraw files unuseable.  I would think that we
could build a useable program on that file structure and be fairly safe.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

shadow@pawl6.pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (09/23/88)

In article <8809200601.AA22100@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	I did NOT write this, somebody else did and I included it in my
>response.  I suppose this sort of thing happens all the time (applying the
>right quote to the wrong person), but I like to correct mistakes associated
>with myself.  Besides, I need to write enough here so the inews line eater
>doesn't get upset ... or is it pnews, I forget.
>
>>In article <8809090717.AA15695@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>>:simple, relatively easy to implement (all we're missing is RoundRects
>>>:and arbitrary regions - ok, the latter ain't so easy) - and there's
>>>:400 zillion people out there using MacDraw.  The overall net response
>>>:was "nawww, we can do better than that."
>
>				-Matt

Um, Matt...  did it ever occur to you that such confusions occur
mostly because of people who quote other articles without noting where
the article quoted is, or who wrote it?  You do the same thing
yourself, after all...

(not a flame)

                                        -Deven

(aCk... need new .sig)
/*********************************************************************\
* #include <std/disclaimer>                                           *
* Deven T. Corzine                USnail: 2346 15th St.               *
* <<The Shadow>>                          Troy, NY 12180              *
* Internet:                               BITNET:                     *
*    shadow@pawl.rpi.edu                     USERFXB6@RPITSMTS.BITNET *
*    shadow%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu                                *
*    shadow@{uruguay,paraguay,brazil}.acm.rpi.edu                     *
\*********************************************************************/

pds@quintus.uucp (Peter Schachte) (09/24/88)

In article <141@dms3b1.UUCP> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>Okay, I've said this before, but it's embarrassing to have what we all
>consider to be the world's greatest computer, but have to look to a Mac
>if we want to do some documentation that's got some simple graphics in it.
>Took one of my hand-drawn documents up to the dealer and played with
>two or three paint packages, which was the best they could recommend.
>It took me about 45 minutes to manipulate the drawing (which had about
>5 bubbles and some label text) to the point where it was anywhere
>near presentable.  At that, it wasn't high enough resolution. )
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
You said the magic woid!  If someone DOES come up with a structured
graphics standard for the Amiga, it had better be resolution-
independant.  This is really hard if you include text (which is
necessary), since the Amiga doesn't come with any fonts in a very wide
variety of sizes.  Once that problem is solved, an IFF form for
structured graphics shouldn't be very hard.

-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp
..!sun!quintus!pds

:Um, Matt...  did it ever occur to you that such confusions occur
:mostly because of people who quote other articles without noting where
:the article quoted is, or who wrote it?  You do the same thing
:yourself, after all...
:
:(not a flame)
:
:                                        -Deven

	True enough.   I always stick quoted stuff in '>', or ':' to defeat
the news filtering program, and in about 5% of such responses I do not
quote the originator's name.  I do this on purpose for several reasons.

	(1) If the quote taken alone is easily misinterpreted by people who
	    have not been following the conversation.  I.E. so they don't
	    flame the guy and to maybe force them to go back a bit and find
	    the thread.

	(2) If the quote is general or if my message is not directly
	    related to the quote.  In such cases it (the quote) has already
	    been discussed to death so I like to disassociate my reply as
	    much as possible from it.  I.E. make people concentrate on what
	    I'm saying instead of what the quote said.

	I've always assumed that the '>' or ':' makes it obviously a quote.

					-Matt

stevex@ziebmef.uucp (Steve Tibbett) (09/26/88)

Maybe I'm getting into this conversation too late, but has anybody looked at
Professional Draw from Gold Disk?  It's an Adobe Illustrator-style
program that should (and will) provide resolution-independant drawing
capabilities, which output best to Postscript but will probably be
adapted to give nice results off any output device.

I'm not sure if they are still sticking to the Aegis Draw "Standard",
but a new version of Pro Page will be required to work with it.

 ...Steve   (stevex@ziebmef.UUCP)

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Pat-bob White) (09/26/88)

In article <471@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
>>near presentable.  At that, it wasn't high enough resolution. )
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
>You said the magic woid!  If someone DOES come up with a structured
>graphics standard for the Amiga, it had better be resolution-
>independant.  This is really hard if you include text (which is

   Yes, it needs resolution independence, but if someone ever wants to include
any kind of bit mapped pictures (like fonts), then it *must* have a resolution
or one can't possibly know how close to put the dots.
   Best way I can think of to deal with this, is to allow a "resolution"
relative to the size of the resolution-independant screen to be specified (call
them virtual pixels), for use in rendering the bit mapped stuff.
ie. be able to tell it that the screen is, say, 10x10 pixels when you want to
render your bit image -- the drawing program will scale the virtual pixels
accordingly such that 10x10 fills the entire device screen.

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/27/88)

In article <3583@s.cc.purdue.edu>, ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Pat-bob White) writes:
>    Best way I can think of to deal with this, is to allow a "resolution"
> relative to the size of the resolution-independant screen to be specified (call
> them virtual pixels), for use in rendering the bit mapped stuff.

Better would be a field in the 'bitmap' chunk telling the renderer how big the
bitmap is in the virtual co-ordinate system. It would be scaled, dithered,
antialiased, whatever to make it fit in this region.
--

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (09/28/88)

In article <5079@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann - I.S.er) writes:
:
:I believe that the standard already exists.  I read a couple of years ago in
:B*TE about a graphics standard called _North American Presentation Level
:Protocol Syntax_ (NAPLPS).  The standard was to be used as on both high level
:graphics machines as well as lo-res terminals, included ways of encoding lines,

NAPLPS is very nice for what it is intended, which is input and output of
graphics and text.  But it is not intended for storage.  Why is this a problem?
Well, how are you going to send your NAPLPS image to me?  There's no provision
for labeling pages, images, nor objects.  I suppose we could agree on some
standard meaning for certain NAPLPS macro definitions.

I have the preliminary spec around here someplace.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco
   "When Hurricane Gilbert comes through, I'll stay here to experience it."
   CBS:"What if you experience death?" "Well, I'll worry about that later."