[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga in cinema

tjm@nsscb.UUCP (Timothy J. Murphy) (08/29/88)

	Has anyone seen "Betrayed" with Debra Winger? If so, did you notice
the computer used by the farmer? An Amiga 500. They had goofy sound effects,
like the standard "dt-dt-dtdtdt-dt" as letters scrolled across the screen,
and the voice synthesizer was also used...The overall purpose of having the
computer was awful, however; it was used as a telecomm link in a nutcase
white supremacist data network...Once more, Amiga in the limelight...

					Just thought you'd like to know,

							Tim

            | ---------------------------------------------  |\
            | Mail: ...ulysses!nsscb!tjm                     | \
            | Mouth: (201) 281-6287			     |  \
            | Motive: You'll never prove it.                 |  |
            |                                                |  |
            |			       Tighe Murcaddo	     |  |
            |			       (Tim Murphy)          |  |
            |						     |  |
            | "Don't cross the beams. That would be bad..."  |  |
            |  --------------------------------------------  |  |
            \------------------------------------------------\  |
             \                                                \ |
              \________________________________________________\|

baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Baron Fujimoto) (08/30/88)

>	Has anyone seen "Betrayed" with Debra Winger? If so, did you notice
>the computer used by the farmer? An Amiga 500. They had goofy sound effects,
>like the standard "dt-dt-dtdtdt-dt" as letters scrolled across the screen,
>and the voice synthesizer was also used...The overall purpose of having the
>computer was awful, however; it was used as a telecomm link in a nutcase
>white supremacist data network...Once more, Amiga in the limelight...
>							Tim

out of curiosity, where else have amiga's been seen in the movies?  offhand,
all I can think of is _The Disorderlies_  where one gets mangled by a Fat Boy,
and _Prince of Darkness_ where one of the researchers is using it to help
translate an old text.  neither of these movies show the amiga showing off in
any capacity, but heck...  at least I recognized them!  :-)

--
INTERNET:	baron@uuccux.uucc.hawaii.edu     |
BITNET:		baron@uhccux.bitnet              |  "Make beans into peas!"

sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) (08/30/88)

Since everyoneis talking about seeing the Amiga in various movies, I thought
I might add that there was an A1000 in Alf last night. It was in a lab where
Alf was dreaming he was being kept.  They didn't show it much, but it was
definately an Amiga!  Now, if only the computer media would recognize the
Amiga as well!

Scot

sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (08/30/88)

In article <2314@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> Baron Fujimoto writes:
>out of curiosity, where else have amiga's been seen in the movies?

In "Three Men and a Baby" there was an Amiga 1000 that sat on a table
in the entrance hall. They didn't use it for anything, but you can see it
in the background in some of the scenes.

By the way does anyone else hate the Wrigley's gum commercial on TV as much as
I do? For some reason I hate it with a passion. (This is the commercial with
the talking computer.) I'm glad they didn't use an Amiga for that!

Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com

Also the main illustrator for Analog (the SF magazine) clearly uses an Amiga
for "computer" inspiration. In the last few issues every computer illustration
was an Amiga 1000 (although never labeled as such). What was even more
interesting to me was that illustration to Delaney's "And Nothing But the Truth"
in the July 88 issue is just a 3.5" disk but the disk label has the Amiga
Checkmark on it !

--Chuck McManis

hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) (09/02/88)

Baron Fujimoto (baron@uhccux.UUCP) writes:

>>	Has anyone seen "Betrayed" with Debra Winger? If so, did you notice
>>the computer used by the farmer? An Amiga 500. They had goofy sound effects,
>
>out of curiosity, where else have amiga's been seen in the movies?  offhand,
>all I can think of is _The Disorderlies_  where one gets mangled by a Fat Boy,
>--
>INTERNET:	baron@uuccux.uucc.hawaii.edu     |

	There was an Amiga 1000 in a Canadian movie "Family Viewing", shown at
the Toronto film festival last year (in fact it belonged to someone in my user
group).  Again, the Amiga was in the hands of the "bad guys"; in this case, a
private detective surveilling the young hero who was illegally caring for his
invalid grandmother in a disused hotel (he had kidnapped her from a hospital).
It was hard to tell if they even turned it on because they  filmed the detective
from behind the monitor, and any "screen shots" were live video (could have been
genlock, but I doubt it).

 Hobie Orris			| "I'm checking out of this bourgeois motel -
 guest of SoftQuad Inc. Toronto	| Push myself away from the dinner table and say
 { backbone }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| NO MORE JELLO FOR ME, MOM!"

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) (09/02/88)

Wait!  I know another movie with an Amiga.  If you look VERY closely in
Three Men And A Baby...you'll see an Amiga 1000 in one of the rooms.
I think it was a windowed pantry/hall.  Makes sense if Tom Selleck played
an architect.
--
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu                     | John M. Adams        ///
UUCP: {codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jma |   University        ///

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/03/88)

In article <3779@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
>By the way does anyone else hate the Wrigley's gum commercial on TV as much as
>I do? For some reason I hate it with a passion. (This is the commercial with
>the talking computer.) I'm glad they didn't use an Amiga for that!

I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT
I HATE IT I HATE IT I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE IT!!!!

I don't know why, but I scream in rage and feel like throwing a brick at
the TV every time I see it.  AARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGH!  At least its use seems
to be waning.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

:>>	Has anyone seen "Betrayed" with Debra Winger? If so, did you notice
:>>the computer used by the farmer? An Amiga 500. They had goofy sound effects,
:	There was an Amiga 1000 in a Canadian movie "Family Viewing", shown at
:the Toronto film festival last year (in fact it belonged to someone in my user
:group).  Again, the Amiga was in the hands of the "bad guys"; in this case, a

	Hey, we have one *bad* machine here!  It's just too sophisticated for
	the good guys!  <smiley>

					-Matt

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (09/03/88)

In article <1848@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>In article <3779@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
>>By the way does anyone else hate the Wrigley's gum commercial on TV as much as
>I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT
>I don't know why, but I scream in rage and feel like throwing a brick at

  Did they switch the newsgroups around when I wasn't looking, or is this still
comp.sys.amiga? I'd hate to think I've stumbled into comp.idiot-box.bashing by
mistake. Like, inappropriate subject matter, eh? Let's kill this monster while
it's still small and relatively defenseless.

  While on the subject, though - kwitcher bitchin' and DO something about it!
Many years ago I got thoroughly disgusted with ads on the idiot box (this was
before I got over the addiction) and came up with a little modification: cut
one speaker wire, splice a 20' zip cord into the break, and hang an SPST switch
on the far end. When the ads start, turn off the switch. I haven't listened to
an idiot-box ad in over ten years. The recent popularity of remote-controlled
sets makes it even easier - just switch to a dead channel, run the volume down
to zero, and switch back.

  Back to Amigas -- I've never seen one on the new Star Trek (the only show I
ever watch). I think I saw an Amiga 1000 on that Friday the 13th show which is
(or was) right after Star Trek when I forgot and left the thing on with the
sound switch off. It was only for a second as I walked past the set, so I
could be wrong. (Doctor, I've been seeing Amigas...)
--
Real CAD programs don't have dongles!
--

rodmar@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Rodney L Martin) (09/03/88)

I have a couple of questions about CMI's 68000 2x board.

I have the Spirit inboard installed in an A1000.  Can the 68000 2x board be
jury rigged to work with the Spirit board?  Such as:
    Spirit Board --->  68000 2x Board  --->  Motherboard

I realize this would require modification to the Spirit board.

If so, would I have to change PAL chips also?

Any suggestions??  Thanks!

          Rod Martin

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (09/05/88)

In article <1832@loral.UUCP> dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
>  Back to Amigas -- I've never seen one on the new Star Trek (the only show I
>ever watch).
>--
>Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341

Well, last June, I got to talk with Rick Sternback, the Illustrator for the
new Star Trek series.  I was showing him some Trek related animation that
did with our products on the Amiga.  He informed me that they had just
bought a bunch of Mac II's.  They are remodeling the Bridge set, and wanted
actual video displays for some of the control panels, rather than backlit
cells.  He said they looked at Amigas and Mac II's.  The Mac II they saw
had the 1024x780 card with 256 simultaneous colors and a Multisynch monitor.
He said, it blew them away so they got those.  It looks like we'll have
similar capabilities on the Amiga, in the near future.  But, they wanted
it NOW and not RSN.  Paramount makes 10 million bucks per ST:TNG episode;
they can afford the Mac II's.  They plan on using them mainly for control
panels, with lights that turn on/off, anly some color cycling.
They're going to have a harder time if they want to do some sophisticated
animation.  So, you're not likely to see many Amigas on ST:TNG.  I just
hope we don't see an Authorized Apple Dealership in the background in
episodes taking place on a starbase.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Wierd, the Wierd go Professional

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (09/05/88)

Forgive me it this has been done before...

On an "off beat" cable channel I saw an Amiga. The show/movie
was a killer-thriller type where a computer at the police station
would go into an arcade game of a masked burglar type going into
someone's house (to kill them). This was then echoed in real life.
(It could have been ShortStories or Tales from the Darkside.)

There was an A1000 on an episode of Miami Vice.

Saw one last night on Saturday Night Live.

				 	|_________________________

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (09/08/88)

In article <1353@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:

>Well, last June, I got to talk with Rick Sternback, the Illustrator for the
>new Star Trek series.  I was showing him some Trek related animation that
>did with our products on the Amiga.  He informed me that they had just
>bought a bunch of Mac II's.

There's a little more to it than that. The TNG people were very impressed with
the Amiga, Videoscape 3D, beta copies of Modler, etc. and were considering
them quite seriously. Apparently, the powers that be only had their minds
on impulse power at the time, and turned down Amigas, partly for the
following "reason" :

 "Commodore won't give us the Amigas we need. Therefore, if we're going to
 have to buy some machines, let's get the Apple thingies."

Another reason has to to with the support that Apple could supply (for
the right price). What they were hesitant about was the fact that there
were no Animation packages released at the time for the Mac, and they wanted
dependable software, no Beta stuff.

On the whole, they found the Amigas proposed to them somewhat easier to
use, and with proven software, but the Apple support ("sure! You need
some help? We'll charter a plane, and send down 42 techs tonite!")
won them over.

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people

lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (09/10/88)

+-In article <7061@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) wrote:-
+----------

| 	o Commodore consistently fails to take out a booth at the West Coast
| 	  Computer Faire.

+----------

  Not QUITE true, but the truth is worse... I believe that they DID have a
booth at the West Coast Computer Faire before last, and that they DIDN'T
HAVE A SINGLE $@%!#+ AMIGA THERE.  Just 128's doing 80 columns and monochrome
hires.
  Last year Commodore Magazine was there, again with no Amigas (as memory
services).

  By the way, Leo, an excellent flame, and well deserved.  You shouldn't be
afraid to flame if they always turn out as well as that one did.

  P.S. Your efforts at getting the Amiga noticed have not been ignored; Fry's
regularly have "The Dream Goes Berzerk" on display at Fremont.

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
|/|\|/|\|/||   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   WORK: sun!acad!metaware!funkster
  MetaWare "I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up."\\\
IncorporateDisclaimer:[MetaWare, UCSC]->opinion!=lhastings->opinion\\\Tom Lehrer

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/11/88)

Leo, I am shocked that this kind of posting would come from you!!
  For starters..... MONEY makes a BIG difference!!! You said money aside...
and then you talk about 60 sec spots during the Super Bowl... Is this
free????? I think not! Everyone seems to forget that during the first 1 1/2 to
2 years of the Amigas life Commodore was in not to good a shape. Came damn
close to bittin the big one. NOW they are in good shape, and THEY a
advertising the Amiga.. And not in Amiga mags... Music, Video and general
interest type mags!
 One interesting quote that I heard from Dale Luck I THINK it was....
" we can all make fun of Commodore, but when the do have the money, they have
shown marked tendencies to spend it very wisely" or words to that effect! :> :>
 I have been on the Amiga band wagon since THE start, and I can say that there
has been MUCH improvment, more so the last year. I do think that Commodore is
starting to understand, just HOW important the Amiga really is!! Leo, if your
going to post negatives, how about some of the GOOD things that have happend!
Commodore has continued to enhance and yes fix some bugs while another
"off brand" company just makes promises! :> :>

  I guess what I am trying to say is chin up... The Amiga is STILL a DAMN
good machine!! And I am surprised at Leo getting upset by hearsay!!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (09/12/88)

In article <8957@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Leo, I am shocked that this kind of posting would come from you!!

	In retrospect, my inflammatory tone and use of unconfirmed Nth-hand
rumors was no doubt uncalled for.

> One interesting quote that I heard from Dale Luck I THINK it was....
>" we can all make fun of Commodore, but when the do have the money, they have
>shown marked tendencies to spend it very wisely" or words to that effect! :> :>

	Never heard that one before.  I like it.

> I have been on the Amiga band wagon since THE start, and I can say that there
>has been MUCH improvment, more so the last year. I do think that Commodore is
>starting to understand, just HOW important the Amiga really is!! Leo, if your
>going to post negatives, how about some of the GOOD things that have happend!

	You are quite correct that, now that Commodore is doing well, they
have done many good things:

	o Amiga 500 Test Flight was, and still is, a great idea.  I don't
	  know of any other company that's done this.

	o "Amiga 2000: The New Art of The Possible" is a fine piece of work.
	  Even better than Test Flight (to me).  (While I can sympathize
	  with Eric Daniels' position, I did find it rather odd that he was
	  as upset as he seemed to be about it.  Perhaps we have different
	  attitudes toward having our work used commercially.)

	o They are starting to advertise, apparently profusely, in trade and
	  niche magazines, where the Amiga will no doubt make its greatest
	  impact.

	o They now seem to be regularly attending Amiga shows.  They were
	  at Chicago AmiExpo; I hope they show up at L.A., too.  They also
	  attend profoundly important shows, like SIGGRAPH and NCGA.

	o They continue to improve the OS.  I just looked over the 1.3 DOS
	  command specs for the first time (believe it or not), and am
	  pleased.

	o They hired Bryce Nesbitt.

	And probably a whole bunch of other things that I can't remember at
four in the morning.

> [ ... ] I am surprised at Leo getting upset by hearsay!!

	The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to believe that I
was vastly out of line.  One well-known AmiGuy counter-flamed me quite
eloquently (I thought).  But it seems so *frustrating* at times.  Is this
sort of phenomonon common?  Are the Apple-][gs/Sinclair-QL/Archimedes
owners as depressed as we sometimes are?

	Upon hearing that the TNG deal fell through, my heart sank, and I
was convinced that someone screwed up.  Obviously, no one "screwed up".
Paramount made the choice they felt was best for them.  But emotion blinded
me just long enough to launch into an unnecessary flame.

	I won't say that Commodore hasn't made mistakes, and I won't say
that they won't make more of them.  However, now that they are back on their
feet, the mistakes will, I strongly hope, be much less important and less
frequent.  And, no, I'm not changing my tune.  I'm still upset that we are
not "getting the fair shake" I feel we deserve.  But the time has probably
come for me to stop pointing fingers and get on with doing useful things.

	I *am* trying to mature, honest.  My apologies to those who were
taken aback.  And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back and work on useful
things to help make the world a slightly better place.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
	    "I am one confused individual right now."  -- Me

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (09/13/88)

Jeeze -- I don't recall Leo getting this worked up about
anything!!!

BUT -- He is right on the money!!!

<<-------- lots of VERY VALID flames deleated ------>>>>

>	Why are you so damned silent?  The Mac was completely different from
>the Apple-][, yet Apple stood behind it 100%.  The Amiga was completely
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does seem to me that CBM does not really want to get the AMIGA in a
position to be taken seriously. The sales facilities are marginal at best,
the sales pesonnel are (with few exeptions) incompetent, and I don't like
arguing the value of an AMIGA with some MAC user, when I have to buy
SOMEONE ELSE's font set to get any printouts (Times Roman, Helvitia
Olde English etc.) that look even close to professional quality.

(I understand that the MAC has good quality fancy fonts standard.)

>different from the C-64, and so you stood around scratching your collective
>heads saying, "Duh."  Apple placed their machines in highly visible places
>in stores, and trained the salespeople to know what the machine was and what

HEAVY EMPHASIS ON "TRAINED THE SALESPEOPLE"!!!!

I have personally seen several potential sales of AMIGA computers lost due
to uninterested and untrained sales people. Some of the people that I've
seen that are "suppoed" to be selling AMIGA computers I would even let
run a paper route!!!!!!!

>to show off.  Commodore delivered the systems to stores late, and just
>dropped them in their laps without so much as a demo disk (Not all dealers
>had the WorkBench 1.0 demo disk.  My local dealer got his copy from *me*.).

>	Sometimes I just don't know why I bother anymore.

This is scary!!! When people like this (others too not just Leo) start having
doubts it's REALLY time to get with it!!!!!!!!!

I still see no reason why CBM can't take the AMIGA and REALLY give the Apple
folks a run for their money, and still keep the machine affordable.
(Some MAC users I know say that the MAC has an order of magnitude mark up
on the price over the manufacture cost. It costs something under $300.00
to make, and sells for close to $3000.00 (MAC-II))

And Leo -- Hang in there -- maybe CBM will get it together soon. Besides,
LOT's of people like the things you do.!!

Dave (Come on CBM -- read the writing on the wall!!) S.

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (09/13/88)

From article <7061@well.UUCP>, by ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab):
> In article <14515@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:

	[ include major Commodore flame ]

> Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

	This is TRUE. I look at the calendar and note that I finally came to
this conclusion a year ago, with *Many* other points to add about CBM. Forget
just the announced products that didn't ship, all the working ones that were
great that they dropped. And all the stealing of people's work, et al...

	A full year has passed since my experiences with the Amiga. It's still
a great machine, only the names have changed. There have been generations of
bright, enthused and interesting people that have taken up the Amiga torch,
but they all end up with a messed head from looking at CBMs doings. Now it is
a totally new group from those that were programming it a couple of years ago.
It's not new names of thriving startup software ventures now, it's just new
programmers and hackers playing around with the thing...

	Anyone out there making a living writting Amiga (non-game) software ??

	I think that Commodore is all just a tax writeoff for Irving Gould,
they can't be in business to make a successful product family.

	(That should bring in the lawyers)

-Jim Becker

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/13/88)

There is an Atari ST test-flight video, too. It's put out by some company
with a product called "Cosmic Paint" or something. Apart from the lack of
anti-aliasing it's rather nice. The music is by J. M. Jarre (though I suspect
without permission... it sounded like Rendezvous).

If you've seen the Amiga stuff it looks pretty crude, but it's superficially
quite convincing. The guy at the computer store claimed that you couldn't
do anything as good on any computer for under about 20 grand.

How did I get him to make such a bizzarre statement? Acted like an IBM owner.
I think I clued him in when I started talking about Max Headroom, though. He
eventually claimed that "The Amiga can't do this", to which I responded "No,
it can do better" and pleaded lack of time.

Kind of depressing, actually, considering how much they can do with what they
have to work with.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (09/13/88)

>(I understand that the MAC has good quality fancy fonts standard.)

That's right!  Heh, heh, heh.

>(Some MAC users I know say that the MAC has an order of magnitude mark up
>on the price over the manufacture cost. It costs something under $300.00
>to make, and sells for close to $3000.00 (MAC-II))

Actually, the Mac II costs > $5k.  The Mac SE costs ~$400. in parts, but
sells for ~$3000.

-Ted  "Macintosh.  There is no substitute."

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/13/88)

In article <138@tityus.UUCP> jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) writes:
>	This is TRUE. I look at the calendar and note that I finally came to
>this conclusion a year ago, with *Many* other points to add about CBM. Forget
well, that's as may be. I haven't given up yet and my first buy was in
Nov. 85, and boy was that a grim time. It looked very much like C= was
gonna go belly up.
   You have to keep in mind, when someone (or corporation) is near
death, they do some strange things. Add to this the fact that American
corporations do lots of strange things to begin with, and you are
in for a strange time.
   One thing that still kills me is that people look at the machine,
and say 'ah, 200 lines, its obsolete'. They don't even THINK about
software, and how hard it is to get a good multi-tasking kernel DONE RIGHT,
which the Amiga folks did. You read the Bandito who just says 'well,
they'll throw multitasking on the Apple IIGS and its all over for the Amiga!'
and people BELIEVE it. incredible. Take a look at Multifinder, for example.
I told some friends the story about how Microsoft windows blew a product
development cycle by a year  because while you can run lots of tasks, you
can only run ONE copy of any ONE program if you are using extended
memory. They said, 'oh yeah, you can't do that on a MAC II either-
but its ok 'cause the programs all handle multiple files anyway'. Is this
sick or what? After 3 years only Amiga still knows how to do multitasking
right!
   Sorry you got burned, Jim. I gather you were the author of Infominder?
Did you know you are still an amiga developer? Your signature says
it all:
X Windows Developer
Thanks to Dale Luck, we may see your stuff soon on the Amiga.
Once we have X windows, we have other developers too:
HP, Sony, DEC, IBM, all the Athena guys, ..., its gonna be nice.
ron

wbralick@icc.afit.arpa (William A. Bralick Jr.) (09/14/88)

How about a leveraged buyout of C=, or to avoid messing with the
peecee clones and 8-bits, just buy Amiga from C-A and take it
private!  After building Amiga into a real market powerhouse
sell it back to C= for MEGA$.

Will

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/14/88)

In a article Jim Bekcer says words to the effect....
>Is anyone making money on non-game software for the Amiga??
Superbase seems to be doing well....The folks that do Pro-Video are doing VERY
well.... Your name does not ring a bell.... Unless you did that sorry excuse
for a word proccessor called BeckerText... Please tell me I am wrong!!

**Flame Off***

Sorry guys, just had to do that!!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (09/15/88)

In article <727@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
> ... After 3 years only Amiga still knows how to do multitasking
> right!

Maybe, maybe not.  OS/9 has been around for a long time on coco's, Atari's,
pc's etc.  Anyway well a lot of people always talk about multitasking, I
just don't think it is such a killer feature.  Just look at all the Apple,
IBM sales.  It seems that most people are willing to live without multitasking
or settle for a limited form of multitasking.  So while multitasking is a
definite plus, I doult if it is the reason for people to buy the Amiga over
something else.

                                        Wayne Knapp

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/15/88)

In a article Ted johnson writes....
> The Mac has good printable fonts.. or words to the effect...
This is true... if printout is important to you... the Mac is a machine to
look at... However Gold disk produces Pro-page ONLY for the Amiga... which
does color seperation. And to my knowledge, is the only such program on a
Micro...
 On another point... the Amigas strong point is graphics... and I dont mean
in games... Where I work we use Amigas for graphics work in Commercials, etc..
This is THE niche for the Amiga just like DP was/is? for the Mac.
 Thanks, but I NEED a good graphics machine with powerful software... and with-
out spending BIG money for a Sun or something like it... the Amiga is hard to
beat.... The Mac ][ is NOT in it.... No graphics software for it.. Inlike
the Amiga..

Doug "Amiga Desktop Video" all the way...

What!!?? A Mac II.... Did'nt they get it right the first time!?
 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (09/15/88)

In article <3248@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:
>       It seems that most people are willing to live without multitasking
>or settle for a limited form of multitasking.  So while multitasking is a
>definite plus, I doult if it is the reason for people to buy the Amiga over
>something else.

There were two reasons I bought an Amiga:

	non-brain dead processor (68000)
	multitasking OS.

Prior the the Amiga, the micro I used was an S100 based Z-80 system, built
board by board, long before these `PC' things became fashonable.  The Amiga
was the first affordable computer to come along to give me significantly
more capability that that old 48K, 4MHz Z80 with two 180K disk drives.

Wow.  And I actually did useful work on such a small system.  And OS/2
requires, what, that much memory for the second level bootstrap?

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (09/16/88)

I know the title is deceiving, but following the line of the previous
poster, I but the Amiga precisely for the multitasking.  I did not wish
to program in the Apple/MAC environment, I already program in the MS-DOS
at school.  I am finding that after I am getting past the complexity of
an operating system that must become part of your program if you want it
to be Amigatized, I REALLY LIKE THE AMIGA!!  I also like Turbo-Pascal 4.0
Too bad it's on MS-DOS.

BTW, I am trying to get information about the Sun 386i.  Is there a group
on Usenet for the Sun's?  I seem to note that many Amigans use Sun's at
work.  Specs and reviews are relatively easy to find, but problems and
pluses are not found until one really works with a machine day-in and
day-out. Please e-mail any comments to me (+-) [no this isn't one of Bob's
smiley faces]
Thanks
Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (09/16/88)

     I use multitasking 100% of the time.  I wouldn't buy a computer without
it.  Just as a couple of for instances:

1. I edit all my Usenet articles by running MicroGnuEmacs and a CLI window
   and DiskMan (soon Browser) concurrently with my terminal program.  This
   frees me from the tyranny of the editors available on my host (vi and
   ed).  I often run other programs at the same time that Xmodem data
   transfers are taking place.  I never want to go back to sitting and
   waiting for the machine to finish what it's doing before I can start
   another task

2. MetaScope.  I don't have it but I've seen it in operation.

3. I've even formatted disks and transferred Xmodem data simultaneously.

There's a large market out there for multitasking, once people get ahold
of the idea that the computer is more than a single entity.  Often I extol
the virtues of multitask, and I get back "I can't do more than one thing
at a time.  So why should I need such a thing on my computer?"  The answer
is that people are still thinking of a computer as a single machine or
entity.  Multitasking becomes more attractive when people grasp the idea
that an Amiga is really like having a whole *department* of people working
for you.  Suddenly they see how silly it is to ask Bill to transfer a file,
and have to wait for Bill to finish before asking Bob to format a disk.

Dan Hankins

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (09/20/88)

Doug,

>>In a article Ted johnson writes....
>>> The Mac has good printable fonts.. or words to the effect...
>>This is true... if printout is important to you... the Mac is a machine to
>>look at... However Gold disk produces Pro-page ONLY for the Amiga... which
>>does color seperation. And to my knowledge, is the only such program on a
>>Micro...

I'm not Ted nor an Worm_food owner ;-) (Jeeze I hope I don't start anything
with this IT'sJUST A JOKE!!!)

I have an AMIGA. I love it. BUT Good quality printouts for graphics AND text
(Fancy stuff like Gothic etc.) Can't be done well without getting some help
such as someone else's fonts. I think the AMIGA should have these built in.

It's kinda like buying a car, and inflatable tires cost extra.

>----------

Wayne,

>> ... After 3 years only Amiga still knows how to do multitasking
>> right!
>
>Maybe, maybe not.  OS/9 has been around for a long time on coco's, Atari's,
>pc's etc.  Anyway well a lot of people always talk about multitasking, I
>just don't think it is such a killer feature.  Just look at all the Apple,
>IBM sales.  It seems that most people are willing to live without multitasking
>or settle for a limited form of multitasking.  So while multitasking is a
>definite plus, I doult if it is the reason for people to buy the Amiga over
>something else.

This is true ONLY if they have not used multitasking machines to any
extent. (in MY opinion) I find that when I have to go to a non multitasking,
or multitasking windowless system things are painfully more tedious to do.

I'm not sure which I like better about the AMIGA -- the graphics or the
multitasking.

Dave S.

:Maybe, maybe not.  OS/9 has been around for a long time on coco's, Atari's,
:pc's etc.  Anyway well a lot of people always talk about multitasking, I
:just don't think it is such a killer feature.  Just look at all the Apple,
:IBM sales.  It seems that most people are willing to live without multitasking
:or settle for a limited form of multitasking.  So while multitasking is a
:definite plus, I doult if it is the reason for people to buy the Amiga over
:something else.
:                                        Wayne Knapp

	I would say you are dead wrong here.  It is precisely the demand
for multitasking that has forced Apple and IBM into their premature and
incomplete implementations of it.  If you just think for a short while
you will see why:

	(1) UNIX is moving towards micros... note existance on Amigas, IBMs,
	    and Mac IIs.  UNIX is multitasking.

	(2) Demands being made of most micros these days are getting nearly
	    impossible to implement without multitasking:

	    ethernet on IBM AT's:  slow, undependable, file servers must
	    essentially be dedicated, incompatible net device assignment
	    (i.e. printer device -> net fails with many applications)

	    token ring: same limitations apply.

	    ethernet/appletalk on a Mac:  file servers must be dedicated,
	    does not support multiple and multiple-automatic(remote)
	    sessions (having 3 telnet windows does not count... try adding
	    an rwho or finger daemon, eh?)

	    literally hundreds of 'DA's these days on the Mac, IBM, and other
	    micros/oss use hardware interrupts to create their own sort of
	    multitasking (i.e.: background printer spooler) and as such have
	    major incompatibilities with other products which try to use the
	    same trick.

	(3) Multitasking inherently provides a resource-use model which reduces
	    the number of 'badly written programs' by forcing them to recognize
	    that they cannot dandy about the machine as if they owned it.
	    (This might appear to ascribe that it is more difficult to write
	    programs for multitasking machines.  If anything, the reverse is
	    true).

					-Matt

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (09/28/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 15-Sep-88 Re: Amiga in cinema (again)*
> *Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal (935)*

> In a article Ted johnson writes....
> > The Mac has good printable fonts.. or words to the effect...
> This is true... if printout is important to you... the Mac is a machine to
> look at... However Gold disk produces Pro-page ONLY for the Amiga... which
> does color seperation. And to my knowledge, is the only such program on a
> Micro...

PageMaker 3.0 supports color separation.

                                --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"