[comp.sys.amiga] Ultrix

rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (09/26/88)

In one of the messages (I deleted the message ID) Dan "Sneakers" Schein
writes:
> I use mine to connect with Ultrix 2.2 on a daily basis. Ultrix is lisenced
> from Berkley but im not sure how close (or far) BSD 4.3 and Ultrix 2.2 may be.
> wpl@burdvax has been keeping records of the success & failures on using Amiga
> UUCP.

Dan, perhaps you used a bad choice of words (i.e. licensed from Berkley), or
you are mistaken.  When I worked for DEC they came out with a product called
Ultrix and that was their version of Unix.  They (DEC not Berkley) license
that product.  I am not a Unix person (VMS is my OS of choice), but I did
work with and know some of the Ultrix people and according to them Ultrix is
Unix and more.  Now, how close that is to BSD 4.3 I don't really know without
asking them (which I could do).  I know I'm making a moot point but, I just
don't want anyone to get confused.

Ran

The thoughts and ideas presented here are mine, who else would take credit
for this obsurdity anyhow?

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (09/26/88)

I don't know what this has to do with Amiga's, but this is where I
saw the question ...

Anyway.  Ultrix is originally derived from 4.2BSD.  In order to get
the Ultrix sources you have to have Berkeley liscense.  But DEC has
changed a bunch of stuff around, apparently because they simply felt
like changing stuff around (to lock in customers?), but retained source
code compatibility with BSD.  (NNTP, News, rn, MMDF, UUCP and some others
just compiled and installed w/o hassle on Ultrix when we switched
over from MtXinu's 4.3BSD -- and don't tell me it's a step backwards).

V3.0 of Ultrix is supposed to be 4.3BSD compatible.  I sure hope so!

There are also compatibility stuff in there to make the system SVID
compliant.  This started with some stuff developed by Doug Gwyn
of the Ballistics Research Laboratory.  But again, DEC's Ultrix group
put a lot of effort into the project...
--
<-- David Herron; The official MMDF guy of the 1988 Olympics <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/27/88)

:
:writes:
[...]

Well, probably it's so that DEC bought a full source code license from
Berkley, which entitles them to make an implementation on a machine, add
whatever they want, and sell the result.

Our company did so and added SysV-compatibility the same way as DEC
also did, about a year later.

I have worked on some Ultrix systems, and from (I think) version 1.3
they start to seem more like SysV-based systems with BSD-comptibility
added.

Sorry to follow this up in this (still wrong) newsgroup, but I don't
know where it really belongs.

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (09/28/88)

Then in Message <10290@s.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) wrote:

>I don't know what this has to do with Amiga's, but this is where I
>saw the question ...
>
>Anyway.  Ultrix is originally derived from 4.2BSD.  In order to get
>the Ultrix sources you have to have Berkeley liscense.  But DEC has
>changed a bunch of stuff around, apparently because they simply felt
>like changing stuff around (to lock in customers?), but retained source
>code compatibility with BSD.  (NNTP, News, rn, MMDF, UUCP and some others
>just compiled and installed w/o hassle on Ultrix when we switched
>over from MtXinu's 4.3BSD -- and don't tell me it's a step backwards).
>
>V3.0 of Ultrix is supposed to be 4.3BSD compatible.  I sure hope so!
>
>There are also compatibility stuff in there to make the system SVID
>compliant.  This started with some stuff developed by Doug Gwyn
>of the Ballistics Research Laboratory.  But again, DEC's Ultrix group
>put a lot of effort into the project...

  I didn't mean to confuse anyone (heck im confused enough for 3 people :-)
  with my refrence to Ultrix & Berkeley Unix. Im not a Ultrix guru by any
  means - just 'joe user' and from my experience Ultrix is as close to BSD
  that it comes without being real Berkeley. Thats the only fact(?) I based
  my original comments on. Sorry if I confused anyone and thank for helping
  to un-tie the Sneakers. (Pun intended - but the thanx are serious)

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein        {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

    Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 40 Meg - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691