[comp.sys.amiga] ARP questions

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (09/27/88)

First of all, I have been using ARP for about 9 mos now -- it is an
incredible package and I think no Amiga CLI user should be without it
(it would be nice if Commodore adopted it as a standard).  Some
questions I have about it are:

(1) What is the most recent version?  'Version' tells me I'm running
34.1, and there's a bug in 'rename' dealing with relative path names
that I would like to see squashed.

(2) Is ARP going to be reasonbly compatible with 1.3?

(3) What are all the features of the ARP file requester?  Here's the
few "undocumented" ones I've found by experimentation --
	Right mouse click gives a device list.
	Shift-cursor-right sends cursor to end of line.
	Shift-cursor-left  sends cursor to beginning of line.
The only other function I'd perhaps like to see is a 'clear-field'
function -- having the previous input still hanging around is great
sometimes, but a drag almost as often.

Thanks in advance.

Maurice LeBrun, Institute for Fusion Studies, University of Texas at Austin
  Internet: mjl%fusion.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu    Phone: 512-442-7636 H
     or	    mjl%uta.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa                      512-471-6149 W
"If cows ate plankton, whales would starve"

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (09/28/88)

In article <6388@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) writes:
>The only other function I'd perhaps like to see is a 'clear-field'
>function -- having the previous input still hanging around is great
>sometimes, but a drag almost as often.

There is a not very well documented key combination that works in all
string requesters (gadjets that you type text into).  If you hold down
the Right-Amiga key and press the "X" key, the previous text will be cleared
out.  This is not an ARP feature; it works for all programs using Intuition.

| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET:JMS%F29.Tymnet@Office-1.ARPA   PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220    |

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/29/88)

In article <6388@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) writes:
>(3) What are all the features of the ARP file requester?  Here's the
>few "undocumented" ones I've found by experimentation --
>	Shift-cursor-right sends cursor to end of line.
>	Shift-cursor-left  sends cursor to beginning of line.
>The only other function I'd perhaps like to see is a 'clear-field'
>function -- having the previous input still hanging around is great
>sometimes, but a drag almost as often.

These are not ARP features, they're standard features of any string
gadget.  Shift-cursor-right or left moves the cursor to the beginning or
end of the line.  Right-Amiga-X clears the string gadget.  Right-Amiga-Q
restores the gadget to it's original contents after you've screwed it
up.  Did I miss any?

These work in _any_ string gadget.

Actually, I'd like to see a few more features in there myself, like
deleting words, moving cursor by a word, insert/replace toggle, and the
like.

--
Eric Kennedy