[comp.sys.amiga] more on maple

mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com (Marty Cohen) (09/28/88)

(A {further} response to question on the availability of the Maple computer
algebra system for the Amiga)
>In article <8658@watdragon.waterloo.edu> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:
>>...I can't supply many details, but you can get answers on pricing and
>>availability by calling:
>>
>>	WATCOM Products @ (519)886-3700
>   Maple (version 4.2) distribution for the Amiga is not being handled by
>WATCOM Products, but by:
>	Symbolic Computation Group
>	The Department of Computer Science
>	The University of Waterloo
>	Waterloo, Ontario   N2L 3G1
>	(519)888-4474
>(WATCOM Products handles Maple distribution for larger computer systems.)
>   This latest version of Maple for the Amiga requires at least 1Mb RAM
>and ~10Mb free space on hard disk.  There are substantial discounts for
>educational and research institutions.

Additional notes:

1. the phone number is (519) 885-1211 x 3055

2. the cost (for both amigas and macs) is $995 ($US)!!! ($1,000 - 5)

at that price, it's too rich for me.

marty cohen (mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com)

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (09/29/88)

In article <4272@louie.udel.EDU> mcohen@nrtc.northrop.com (Marty Cohen) writes:
>2. the cost (for both amigas and macs) is $995 ($US)!!! ($1,000 - 5)

This must be the general list price. The last time I checked (a month ago)
the price for educational institutions is $395.

At $995 Maple/Mac is not competetive with Reduce which is available for Mac
but not for Amiga. That makes me wonder. And given the availability of
Cambridge Lisp for the Amiga, it must be possible to put Reduce on it. Any
volunteers?