[comp.sys.amiga] Products supporting ARexx

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/27/88)

A couple of weeks ago I requested people to send me mail about various
programs that use ARexx.  As promised, here is a brief sumamry of these
software packages.  This includes replies I got through email, and also
a few notes I pulled off the net.  (Grouped by function, but otherwise
in no particular order.)

Note that I only have personal experience with a couple of these.  The
rest are simply reporting what I have been told by others.  The presence
of a "??" means that I am not sure of the information, but anything here
is subject to mistakes.

Also note that some software is marked "Freeware".  I realize there is
disagreement over the exact meaning of this word--here it generally
means "Copyrighted, but with no active request or requirement for
payment for registration."

Also note that I have no affiliation with William Hawes or the
authors/marketers/distributers of any of these software packages, with
the exception of Uedit, and that's a pretty minor affiliation.

Software        Function               Status
--------        --------               ------
TxED Plus       Text Editor            Available (Commercial)

Uedit           Text Editor            Available 2.3h and up (Shareware)

CygnusEd        Text Editor            ??  (Commercial??)

DME             Text Editor            Available, 1.30 and up ("Freeware")

AmigaTeX        Typesetter             Available (Commercial)

VLT             Communications         Available ("Freeware")

VT100           Communications         Planned for future version ("Freeware")

A-Talk III      Communications         Planned LA Expo release (Commercial)

Superbase       Database               Planned October release, version 4.1
  Professional                           (Commercial)

Microfiche      Database               ??? (Commercial)
  Filer

SpeechToy       Speech demo            Available, includes source?? (PD??)

Shell           CLI enhancement        Tentatively planned for future version
					 ("Freeware")

------------
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (09/28/88)

In article <12771@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

> A couple of weeks ago I requested people to send me mail about various
> programs that use ARexx.  As promised, here is a brief summary of these
>
> SpeechToy       Speech demo            Available, includes source?? (PD??)

Yes, I hacked the speechtoy source to include Arexx support.  The file
is currently available on Compuserve and People Link as "SPTOY.ARC"
and it includes the source.  It is a unidirectional AREXX port, and
includes also the ability to read and write its own icon so as to save
the current settings to use as the default the next time it opens.

Normally, one would expect a command from AREXX to a program such as
SpeechToy to be perhaps a single word, such as SPEAK or TRANSLATE.
To simplify the interface and command parsing, I chose in this case
to pass commands such as SPEAK=1 or TRANSLATE=1.  You may recognize
this as the format for TOOLSTRINGS, in that I am using the Workbench
icon.library toolstring-parser to get my parameters.  You see, I wrote
the read/write-icon functions first, so they were already there.

I tried to specify toolstrings as "SPEAK" but without the "=" sign
and something to follow it, the icon.library parsing function could
not recognize the command.  I did not pursue this exhaustively, so
I don't know if there is a workaround, but I am satisfied with the
result and am quite unlikely to push source code changes any further.

If there is enough demand, and if Fred Fish does not already have it,
I'll send him a copy.  As with the original code by David Lucas, I
have returned this to the public domain.

Rob Peck

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (09/28/88)

In article <12771@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>A couple of weeks ago I requested people to send me mail about various
>programs that use ARexx.  As promised, here is a brief sumamry of these
>software packages.  This includes replies I got through email, and also
>a few notes I pulled off the net.  (Grouped by function, but otherwise
>in no particular order.)
>
>Software        Function               Status
>--------        --------               ------
>CygnusEd        Text Editor            ??  (Commercial??)

That's CygnusEd Professional from ASDG Incorporated. There was a review
in last month's Amiga Sentry magazine (look for the ads in AmigaWorld
as well).

I have no affiliation with Bill Hawes as well, but I do have an affiliation
with ASDG.

-Eric Lavitsky

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{att,ucbvax}!ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (09/28/88)

Bill Hawes has a shell called WSHELL that works with arexx (and
without it).  Tom "radical eye" Rokicki hacked micrognuemacs (aka mg)
to have an arexx port.

I'd like to see a spreadsheet with an arexx port.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/29/88)

In article <12771@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>Microfiche      Database               ??? (Commercial)
>  Filer

The new version of Microfiche Filer definitely has an AREXX port (along
with many other improvements).  Its official name is "Microfiche Filer
Plus".  Upgrades were to be shipped in September (anyone got one yet?) but
the letter I got from them did not say when the general release would be,
so MFPlus may not be available to everyone just yet.

Guess I should send in my upgrade request, huh?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>