[comp.sys.amiga] ARP compatibilty for WB 1.3

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (09/23/88)

Considering that WB 1.3 is "RSN", and I haven't heard about any activity
of ARP since v1.4, will there be a new release any time soon that will be
compatible to the new enhancements to WB 1.3 commands such as PROTECT,
INFO, LIST, etc.?  Will I have to go back to using AmigaDOS commands?

Chris.

rochester!kodak!ektools!rochester

stevex@ziebmef.uucp (Steve Tibbett) (09/26/88)

As far as I know, the ARP folks are still planning an ARP release shortly after
1.3 is released (to avoid having to be compatible with a 'Moving Target').

It's almost as if ARP and CBM are competing with each other for our C:
directories.  The next ARP release will have a really nice EVAL command
that has been written for a good while now (by Ken Salmon).  It's
really flexible, and combined with Execute (also being revised for next ARP),
it's almost a programming language.  (Example:)

  EVAL X=12
  EVAL Y=(6*2)+2
  EVAL X*(Y-1)

will print "156".  It'll handle strings too, I believe.

What did CBM add, out of the blue, to 1.3?  an Eval command that will take
exactly TWO numbers and ONE mathematical operation, and print a result.  It
won't even let you be flexible about spacing ("eval 2*2" prints 2, I believe).

   ...SteveX  (stevex@ziebmef.UUCP)

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/29/88)

In article <1988Sep25.153034.18670@ziebmef.uucp> stevex@ziebmef.UUCP (Steve Tibbett) writes:
>What did CBM add, out of the blue, to 1.3?  an Eval command that will take
>exactly TWO numbers and ONE mathematical operation, and print a result.  It
>won't even let you be flexible about spacing ("eval 2*2" prints 2, I believe).

Well, actually, I didn't hear about an ARP eval until after we released
a simple Eval on 1.3.  Of course, everything about 1.3 is, by definition,
out of the blue, until after its been released.

The 1.3 eval is pretty limited, but still useful.  It's mainly
for use by scripts for really simple operations (making unique
file names, converting strings, quick hex to ascii conversions, etc.)
It wants each number in a seperate argument, which is actually
useful for scripts, since generating arguments is easier than
building strings.

It does the simple jobs that I use @ for on the Sun, however.
For complicated expressions, use Arexx :-)
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke."