[comp.sys.amiga] Colour output technology

In article <889@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:

>I thought that printers with resolution >= 300dpi (truely, not the funny
>specs on dot matrix printers) in color are available. I don't know if they
>are laser printers or thermal transfers or what. I believe that QMS makes one.

Yes, QMS makes a colour PostScript printer using the Mistubishi
thermal dye transfer engine. I can't remember if it's 240 or
300 dpi.

>BTW, if you have to ask how much one costs, you can't afford it.

$25,000.00

Calcomp make one that is definitly 240 dpi, and has kind of a VDI
type of interface (circle, arc, etc) for 3 - 5 K.

There are others, Tektronix has a 4693 thats real nice.

There's also that one that is essentially a ``wax jet'' in that it
uses solid wax which it melts and they sprays it like an ink jet.

It's also about 4K.

--
          I think you'll find there's less to me than meets the eye.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (10/01/88)

In article <7371@gryphon.CTS.COM>, John Mesiavech (jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM)
has a summary line which reads:

and then, down below, writes:

>      For Reference Purposes:
>
> Tektronix makes a color 300DPI output device, their 4693D IS a 300DPI color
> output device.  Costs about 12 grand though, and would need the
> (ecch) Mac-Too interface to get it to work with the AMiga.

The 4693D is a thermal wax transfer printer. . .  Catalog price is about
$8K.  Input is a "Tektronix 8-bit parallel port" (according to the catalog),
which is pretty close to the Centronics parallel port.  (There are some
additional functions available which allow faster data transfer.  However,
standard Centronics can still be used.)

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com               [phone (503) 627-1320]
old: {decvax | hplabs | uunet | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever