[comp.sys.amiga] "PD Piracy"

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/11/88)

I have just been informed...
> ...that a West-Berlin based company
> is offering Browser along with 46 other PD/ShareWare products as a
> sampler for DM 95,- (about $50)...

The person who informed me of this went on to say that this is a clear
offense against general PD rules, since the disks are being sold for
$5 apiece. The message went on to offer to help me should I wish to seek
legal recourse.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is.

First, this is improving the distribution of a program I wished to be as
widely distributed as possible. I wish Commodore shipped Browser with every
Amiga. I wrote it because there is a serious gap between the CLI and the
the Workbench, a gap I saw I could fill.

Second, there is nothing wrong with charging for PD stuff. Fred Fish does
this. For $5 a disk, even.

The only thing that would upset me would be if they tried to prevent
other people from passing it on for free... but even that is not illegal.
the concept of a compilation copyright is pretty widely accepted.

I understand that some of the other authors whose works have been included in
this collection are upset. They should certainly contect the company and make
their feelings known. I don't see what they can legally do, though.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

In article <2601@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>I have just been informed...
>> ...that a West-Berlin based company
>> is offering Browser along with 46 other PD/ShareWare products as a
>> sampler for DM 95,- (about $50)...
>
>The person who informed me of this went on to say that this is a clear
>offense against general PD rules, since the disks are being sold for
>$5 apiece. The message went on to offer to help me should I wish to seek
>legal recourse.
>
>the concept of a compilation copyright is pretty widely accepted.
>
>I understand that some of the other authors whose works have been included in
>this collection are upset. They should certainly contect the company and make
>their feelings known. I don't see what they can legally do, though.

Right. They can't do anything. Once a program has been released into
the public domain, anybody can do anyting they want with it.

If some software author is annoyed that their PD program is being
sold, they probably should have include some phrase like:

Copyright 1988 by Foo Bar. All rights reserved. Never to be sold.
Rights for limited non-commercial distributon granted. For any
other use, contact the author at: (address).

Thats *probably* enough to do it, but of course a lawyer would
know better.

--
               The only good Nazi is a dead Argentinian.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

schabacker@frambo.dec.com (Tim, posting for CB) (09/20/88)

Well, you all read Peters (and Richards) posting, and yes, it was me
who informed Peter about these greedy slimeballs.
I'll post my answer to Peter here:
----
The distressing factors are:

1. I receive my Fish disks directly from Fred, and glady pay my $5
per disk, since I get them as soon as they're available AND via
AirMail for that price. And don't forget that Fred usually does more
than grab "prepared" work and puts it on his disks.

2. Compared to most other PD distributors in W. Germany, they take
TWICE the price (yes Virginia, you can get ALL sort of PD disks in
Germany for about $2.50 per disk or less, depending on the amount of
disks).

3. These 46 offered programs are exactly the same they describe in
their "Das zweite Amiga Public Domain Buch". This book features a
German translation and description of the documentation to that
programs. This product costs about $25, which I can tolerate, since
there is actual work (translation) involved.

To compose my points:

I simply makes me puke if some a**hole makes a quick (big) buck with
the work of others.
----

To quote Peter's Browser documentation:
"Browser version 1.2, copyright 1987, 1988 by Peter da Silva.
 Binary redistribution permitted at no charge."
                                    ^^^^^^^^^
Alas this probably means that Peter wants no money for Browser,
charging anything more than the reproduction costs for that program
strikes me as highly immoral.

And to quote the TurboBackup.doc (which is also on that sampler):

				DISCLAIMER
				----------

	Copyright 1988 by Steffen Stempel and Martin Kopp.
	You may distribute this program for non-commercial purposes.
	You are encouraged to make as much copies of TURBOBACKUP as
	you like as long as you're not violating any of the statements
	below.

	- Nobody except the authors are allowed to gain any profit by
	  using and/or distributing this program. This includes the
	  duplication of commercial disks.
	.
	.

or let's quote the zoo docs:

                 Distribution of  the executable AmigaZoo is permitted
               subject to the following conditions.   Any violation of
               these conditions  may lead  to damages  in favor of the
               copyright owner.

                 AmigaZoo 1.71 may be  duplicated and  distributed, or
               made available  for downloading via telecommunications,
               for no fee above normal connect charges.  Organizations
               charging more  than a  total of  $5.00 postpaid for the
               disk(s)  containing   AmigaZoo   are   prohibited  from
               distributing AmigaZoo.  It is  prohibited to distribute
               AmigaZoo as part  of  any  package  over  which anybody
               other than  Rahul Dhesi claims a licensing right, right
               of distribution, or copyright  or compilation copyright
               of any  kind.   It is prohibited to distribute AmigaZoo
               with any copyright notices removed.

etc.

Needless to say that since I own two hard disks, my four disk drives
are usually copying Fish disks for all my fellow brewers and friends
FOR FREE. Even for individuals I don't know or like.

Enough of this, my stomach hurts. :-(

-	<CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > decwrl!frambo.dec.com!schabacker OR schabacker@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS: 71001,210 (be brief!), Phone: +49 6150 4151
------------ Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.
"...anti-semitism, anti-racism,..." G. Bush for sanitor

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/21/88)

In article <8809201234.AA02448@decwrl.dec.com>, schabacker@frambo.dec.com
	(Tim, posting for CB) writes:
> I'll post my answer to Peter here:

OK. I'll answer it too. You seem like a nice guy, and I'm not trying to put
you down. I just want to put out a fire before it starts.

> The distressing factors are:

> 1. I receive my Fish disks directly from Fred, and glady pay my $5
> per disk, since I get them as soon as they're available AND via
> AirMail for that price. And don't forget that Fred usually does more
> than grab "prepared" work and puts it on his disks.

So, you're willing to pay more for Fred's disks because they have added
value...

> 2. Compared to most other PD distributors in W. Germany, they take
> TWICE the price...

... and these people seem to be able to sell disks at this price. I wonder
why...

> 3. These 46 offered programs are exactly the same they describe in
> their "Das zweite Amiga Public Domain Buch". This book features a
> German translation and description of the documentation to that
> programs.

... and here's the explanation: there is added value. These disks represent
a collection that matches a book they wrote.  It's worth that money for people
to get the collection in one place.

> This product costs about $25, which I can tolerate, since
> there is actual work (translation) involved.

Very noble of you to let them earn money for translating dozens, if not
hundreds, of documents. I'd love a copy of the Browser docs in German.

> [It] simply makes me puke if some a**hole makes a quick (big) buck with
> the work of others.

But they've done the work: collecting these programs and translating their
documentation. Why shouldn't they be entitled to return on their investment?
And I really really doubt they're making big bucks. Fred sure isn't.

> To quote Peter's Browser documentation:
> "Browser version 1.2, copyright 1987, 1988 by Peter da Silva.
>  Binary redistribution permitted at no charge."
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^

And I doubt that they would cut the price of the book or disks any if they
left my software off them. Hmmm... that should read '1.3'. I hope they have
the right version.

> Alas this probably means that Peter wants no money for Browser,

Oh, I want money for it. I doubt I'll get any, though. If you'd like to
send me some I'll be happy to take it.

> charging anything more than the reproduction costs for that program
> strikes me as highly immoral.

Are you saying that it's not worth any more than the disk it's on? I'm
insulted...

No, I'm just pulling your leg. It's nice of you to get hot under the
collar on my behalf, but really I don't mind all this attention at all.
I'm flattered.

> 	- Nobody except the authors are allowed to gain any profit by
> 	  using and/or distributing this program. This includes the
> 	  duplication of commercial disks.

So, let the authors take it up with the company doing the work.

>                Organizations
>                charging more  than a  total of  $5.00 postpaid for the
>                disk(s)  containing   AmigaZoo   are   prohibited  from
>                distributing AmigaZoo.

There's that $5 again.

> Needless to say that since I own two hard disks, my four disk drives
> are usually copying Fish disks for all my fellow brewers and friends
> FOR FREE. Even for individuals I don't know or like.

And Hackercorp is paying uunet connect charges to maintain alt.sources.amiga.
But just because people are motivated by other things than money (don't think
us selfless for running alt.sources.amiga... we're not), doesn't make people
working from the profit motive evil. It's the profit motive that makes things
like the Amiga possible. Oh, sure, the people who designed it are great guys
who were motivated by the thought of a job well done, but how many Amigas do
you think would have come out if they had to wire every one?

> Enough of this, my stomach hurts. :-(

I'm sorry. Calm down. Take a few deep breaths. Your heart is in the right
place, but you need a sense of perspective. Have some fairy cake.

Try putting the GNU manifesto on the shelf and paging through some L. Neil
Smith or Murray Rothbard. Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance.
If you can find some early Heinlein, take a break with it.
--

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (09/21/88)

		 (Tim, posting for CB) writes:

>And to quote the TurboBackup.doc (which is also on that sampler):
>
>				DISCLAIMER
>				----------
>
>	Copyright 1988 by Steffen Stempel and Martin Kopp.
>	You may distribute this program for non-commercial purposes.
		<stuff deleted>

>	- Nobody except the authors are allowed to gain any profit by
>	  using and/or distributing this program. This includes the
>	  duplication of commercial disks.
>
>or let's quote the zoo docs:

		<more deletions>
>                 AmigaZoo 1.71 may be  duplicated and  distributed, or
>               made available  for downloading via telecommunications,
>               for no fee above normal connect charges.  Organizations
>               charging more  than a  total of  $5.00 postpaid for the
>               disk(s)  containing   AmigaZoo   are   prohibited  from
>               distributing AmigaZoo.  It is  prohibited to distribute
>               AmigaZoo as part  of  any  package  over  which anybody
>               other than  Rahul Dhesi claims a licensing right, right
>               of distribution, or copyright  or compilation copyright
>               of any  kind.   It is prohibited to distribute AmigaZoo
>               with any copyright notices removed.

Forgive for including so much of the original article, I trimmed as much as
could but needed to leave some information.

I have a software package that is going to require atleast 4 floppies to
distribute, AFTER COMPRESSION. I am using the pd compress utility for the
installation.

However since not everyone has compress on their system, I chose to throw
a copy in there as well to make sure.  According to the above disclaimer
on ZOO, it would prevent me from ever using AmigaZoo as a distribution
mechanism even though it may be more ideal.

I would not be charging for 'AmigaZoo', AmigaZoo is actually a very small
part of the process and is only used to unzoo the binaries and install them
on the harddisk.

The user is allowed to do whatever they want with zoo when done.

AmigaZoo would get greater distribution since it is almost getting a free
ride.

So it seems to me the only way for someone to make use of a pd program with
such a disclaimer is to contact the copyright holder themself and get
written authority to reproduce the pd program and distribute the pd program
in a way contradictory to the disclaimer.

Was that clear?  Was there something I missed?

--
Dale Luck     Boing, Inc. {cbmvax|oliveb|pyramid}|!amiga!boing!dale
Although I do contract work for Amiga-LosGatos, my opinions probably

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (09/27/88)

>So it seems to me the only way for someone to make use of a pd program with
>such a disclaimer is to contact the copyright holder themself and get
>written authority to reproduce the pd program and distribute the pd program
>in a way contradictory to the disclaimer.
>--
>Dale Luck     Boing, Inc. {cbmvax|oliveb|pyramid}|!amiga!boing!dale

Exactly correct.  The author(s) of zoo have a perfect legal right to
prevent anyone from using their product for any purpose whatsoever.  They
chose to allow non-commercial uses, and require commercial uses be cleared
with them first.  The Software Distillery also chose this approach with
BLink;  several commercial developers (including Lattice, which eventually
obtained all rights to BLink) contacted us and got our permission to
distribute BLink with their product.  Our requirements generally were a
free copy of the product that included BLink.  Zoo is, however, in a
slightly different class, since a major part of its function is to
distribute software.  Apparently, the authors chose not to allow commercial
distribution in order to protect themselves from exploitation, but if the
Distillery was responsible, we would have no problems granting permission
for the use you describe.  I suggest contacting the authors.

In article <629@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
>Exactly correct.  The author(s) of zoo have a perfect legal right to
>prevent anyone from using their product for any purpose whatsoever.  They
>chose to allow non-commercial uses, and require commercial uses be cleared
>with them first.  The Software Distillery also chose this approach with
>BLink;  several commercial developers (including Lattice, which eventually
>obtained all rights to BLink) contacted us and got our permission to
>distribute BLink with their product.  Our requirements generally were a
>free copy of the product that included BLink.  Zoo is, however, in a
>slightly different class, since a major part of its function is to
>distribute software.  Apparently, the authors chose not to allow commercial
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>distribution in order to protect themselves from exploitation, but if the
>Distillery was responsible, we would have no problems granting permission
>for the use you describe.  I suggest contacting the authors.

This is not entirely correct.  We (Felsina Software) got permission
to include the Zoo executable in our "A-Talk III installation" disk.
In fact we got permission to include a whole lot of copyrighted,
usually non-commercially distributable utilities, just by asking for
permission. Of course, we do NOT claim ANY copyright on the 4-th party
software we included, nor we do on the collection of it or charge any
extra bucks for the utilities. We had 600K free on the second disk
and we decided to fill it with "useful" PD, shareware and copyrighted
utilities. We have not found one software author that denied us to
include his software on our disk at the above conditions.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (10/04/88)

In article <12410@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <629@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
>>distribute software.  Apparently, the authors chose not to allow commercial
>>distribution in order to protect themselves from exploitation, but if the
>
>This is not entirely correct.  We (Felsina Software) got permission
>to include the Zoo executable in our "A-Talk III installation" disk.

OK, OK, I misspoked what I meant - or something.

s/to allow commercial/to allow unrestricted commercial/