[comp.sys.amiga] Flaming Scientific American "Trends In Computing" Magazine

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (09/29/88)

	An open letter:

                                                7100 W. 44th Ave.
                                                Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
                                                28 Sept. 88

        Johnathan Piel, Editor
        Scientific American Trends In Computing
        415 Madison Ave.
        New York, NY 10017

        Dear Editor:

        It was with eagerness that I snatched your new magazine,
        "Trends In Computing", from the hands of a fellow programmer
        at work.

        However, I see that the economic pressures that have forced
        lesser publications to "sell out" have come home to roost at
        the once-proud Scientific American.

        I was appalled at what was apparently a craven act of
        journalistic dishonesty, one disrespectable if appearing
        in the New York Daily News, revolting when occuring under
        the hallowed banner of Scientific American.

        I refer to the illustration on page 13 of Vol. 1, in which
        a child is enraptured by the graphics capability of what has
        been the world's most advanced personal computer since 1985,
        the Commodore Amiga. From this illustration you have
        apparently airbrushed all Amiga trade markings in deference to your
        only advertiser, International Business Machines, who still
        have not managed to emerge with a system to match the Amiga
        at this late date. ( Maybe next year ...)

        As an owner of an Amiga, I sincerely doubt that these markings
        could be easily removed by a user. If they were not present
        at the time of the photograph, the Amiga should have certainly
        been identified in the caption, to avoid the impression
        of impropriety that this illustration generously provides
        in a publication supported by one single advertiser.

        I only hope that Scientific American has the good sense to
        fire the lot of you and hire a slightly more competent journalistic
        staff. If Commodore sues, so much the better. I have cut
        out an interesting page or two; the rest of your disgraceful
        publication is in the wastebasket, where it belongs.

                        Sincerely,

                         Jack J. Woehr

cc: Commodore Business Machines, Inc.
    International Business Machines, Inc.
    posted on USENET comp.sys.amiga

[ Tomorrow is a busy day.  We've got things to do, eggs to lay. ]

	Your letter was doing great, jax, up until the last paragraph.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
>	An open letter:
>        fire the lot of you and hire a slightly more competent journalistic
>        staff. If Commodore sues, so much the better. I have cut

	I think that's a great letter!  But remove the part about "If
Commodore sues...".  I don't think Commodore could sue, even if they wanted
to, and I doubt that they would anyway.

	Besides, if you remove that little section you give the letter a
nice light tone to it (i.e. somebody is likely to read and remember it instead
of read the ending and throw it away).

					-Matt

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (10/01/88)

In article <8809300257.AA20934@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
>>	An open letter:
>>        fire the lot of you and hire a slightly more competent journalistic
>>        staff. If Commodore sues, so much the better. I have cut
>
>	I think that's a great letter!  But remove the part about "If
>Commodore sues...".  I don't think Commodore could sue, even if they wanted
>to, and I doubt that they would anyway.
>
>	Besides, if you remove that little section you give the letter a
>nice light tone to it (i.e. somebody is likely to read and remember it instead
>of read the ending and throw it away).
>
>					-Matt

	Matt, you and Leo Schwab have made and the same point, which
	jax concedes.

	As you may have guessed, I really blew my top that day!

	Here's the background: I work in the controller industry,
	programming in Forth.

	The client decided that he wanted the impossible in record
	time.

	The *only* way to get him what he wanted was to grab an
	Amiga quick and stick it in the system as a controller.

	So the dummy spent a month hemming and hawing about how the
	Amiga wasn't IBM compatible ( yes, i mentioned the BridgeBoard)
	until it became no longer possible to meet his deadline.

	Happy ending: we saved the sale, still using Amiga as development
	platform, will make new deadline and collect about 1/4 M$.

	But honest to goodness, there are enough ignorant people out
	there without *SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN* of all revered institutions
	*CONTRIBUTING* to the stupidity!

	My apologies to the gang for turning a really nice flame into
	a weenie roast! The next gang of sonsabitches i fry won't get
	off so easy!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}									  {}
{} jax@well	." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"		  {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 300/1200 8-n-1 24 hrs."                 {}
{} JAX on GEnie		." Tell them JAX sent you!"			  {}
{}									  {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

	ps think DMouse is the best thing since saran wrap!

jax%well.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: "Jack J. Woehr" <jax@well.uucp>
Subject: Re: Flaming Scientific American "Trends In Computing" Magazine
Date: 1 Oct 88 02:35:27 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

 Dillon) writes:

>jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
>>    An open letter:
>>        fire the lot of you and hire a slightly more competent journalistic
>>        staff. If Commodore sues, so much the better. I have cut
>
>    I think that's a great letter!  But remove the part about "If
>Commodore sues...".  I don't think Commodore could sue, even if they wanted
>to, and I doubt that they would anyway.
>
>    Besides, if you remove that little section you give the letter a
>nice light tone to it (i.e. somebody is likely to read and remember it instead
>of read the ending and throw it away).
>
>                    -Matt

    Matt, you and Leo Schwab have made and the same point, which
    jax concedes.

    As you may have guessed, I really blew my top that day!

    Here's the background: I work in the controller industry,
    programming in Forth.

    The client decided that he wanted the impossible in record
    time.

    The *only* way to get him what he wanted was to grab an
    Amiga quick and stick it in the system as a controller.

    So the dummy spent a month hemming and hawing about how the
    Amiga wasn't IBM compatible ( yes, i mentioned the BridgeBoard)
    until it became no longer possible to meet his deadline.

    Happy ending: we saved the sale, still using Amiga as development
    platform, will make new deadline and collect about 1/4 M$.

    But honest to goodness, there are enough ignorant people out
    there without *SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN* of all revered institutions
    *CONTRIBUTING* to the stupidity!

    My apologies to the gang for turning a really nice flame into
    a weenie roast! The next gang of sonsabitches i fry won't get
    off so easy!