[comp.sys.amiga] How satisfied are you with IFF?

ewhac%well.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: "Leo L. Schwab" <ewhac@well.uucp>
Subject: Re: How satisfied are you with IFF?
Date: 30 Sep 88 11:29:32 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

In article <8XEH6zy00VsfM3KmIu@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael
 Portuesi) writes:
:Of course, a set of clean IFF code would help a lot with those who want to
:understand how IFF works.  Perhaps the IFF library source code will be made
:public?
:
    Personally, I think a lucid programmer interface to a parser will go
a lot farther than staring at the parser's innards.  Even though our parser
is relatively small and extremely concise, I still get lost looking at Stu's
code.

:If one basic iff.library were created, containing a general
:IFF parser, and subsequent separate libraries for ILBM, 8SVX, SMUS, ANIM etc
:were created, it would be possible to add new IFF formats merely by writing a
:new library containing routines to handle that format and installing it.  None
:of the other IFF libraries would have to be removed or changed, and it would be
:possible for Amiga owners to quickly update their system software without
:waiting for a new release of one monolithic library that handles a batch of new
:formats.
:
    This is exactly how we're doing it, for precisely the reasons you
gave.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape    INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_        Recumbent Bikes:    UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o          The Only Way To Fly.          hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")