[comp.sys.amiga] 2000-and-1 expansion box

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (09/28/88)

	Well, I just got a cancelled check back in the mail, indicating that
ASDG has cashed in on my $100 deposit.  Does this mean that there is already
sufficient response that ASDG is going ahead on production of the 2000-and-1
box?  If not I dont appreciate the fact that ASDG is earning interest, although
small, on all deposits sent to them when they have not decided if they
want to market the 2000-and-1.

					Wilson Cheung

- Might someone from ASDG respond?

[ No!  The chicken!  The chicken came first! ]

	Before I write out the $100 check and send it to ASDG, I want to
know a few things:

	o Is there any possibility of bad interaction between my A1000 and
	  anything I may care to plug into the cage?
	o Will Ronin's 68020 piggyback card for the A1000 work with the cage
	  and anything I plug in it?
	o If not, will Ronin's 68020 card for the B2000 work in the cage
	  along with anything I plug in it?
	o Is there space to mount a couple of Syquest removable media
	  drives?   (Not critical right at the moment.)

	Basically, I want to expand my A1000 and take advantage of the stuff
for the 2000.  I think the time has come for me to get a hard disk, and I
want to do it right (which means a 2090A and a SCSI drive).  However, I
really don't like the ergonomics of the 2000, so I'm wondering if I can get
away with just my 1000 and a 2000-and-1.

	I want to keep my 68020, and not have to worry about whether or not
this thing is going to interact badly with that thing, or that I need to
have the B-PAL's installed, or that I have to stand on my head facing east.
Whatever it is, I want to plug it in and have it work.  flickerFixer and 1M
CHIP RAM aren't important to me at this time.

	If the 2000-and-1 will address these problems, then I'll write the
check.  Otherwise, I'll settle for the 2000.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (09/29/88)

Leo ... why is the 'right thing' to do to have a hard disk in your
system is to buy the 2090A?  (The 2090A doesn't do DMA, right?  If
it does I'll shut up and go away).  While we've been waiting patiently
for the 2090A to come along, Micron (I think) has come out with a
very similar board that does DMA, AND has room on it to become
a 'hard card'.

Yes, I'm about to buy myself a hard disk system too :-)

[just waiting for the shuttle to launch ... T-<so-many-minutes] and
 waiting for the upper level winds to die down.]
--
<-- David Herron; The official MMDF guy of the 1988 Olympics <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (09/29/88)

In article <1925@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:

>	Well, I just got a cancelled check back in the mail, indicating that
>ASDG has cashed in on my $100 deposit.  Does this mean that there is already
>sufficient response that ASDG is going ahead on production of the 2000-and-1
>box?  If not I dont appreciate the fact that ASDG is earning interest, although
>small, on all deposits sent to them when they have not decided if they
>want to market the 2000-and-1.

This does not mean that sufficient interest has been received at present.
Please re-read the original announcement from ASDG very carefully. It does not
say that your check will be returned, it says that your deposit will be refunded
if ASDG decides not to produce the 2000-and-1. Banks have a tendency to complain
about cashing checks after a certain period of time. ASDG is depositing all checks
received for 2000-and-1 deposits in a non-interest bearing account. You could have
called first...

>					Wilson Cheung
>
>- Might someone from ASDG respond?

Eric Lavitsky,
ASDG Incorporated

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{att,ucbvax}!ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (09/30/88)

In article <7246@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>[ No!  The chicken!  The chicken came first! ]
>
>	Before I write out the $100 check and send it to ASDG, I want to
>know a few things:
>
>	o Is there any possibility of bad interaction between my A1000 and
>	  anything I may care to plug into the cage?

The 2000-and-1 is guaranteed to meet all Zorro I and II specifications. Any
card that also meets these standards will function properly within the
2000-and-1.

>	o Will Ronin's 68020 piggyback card for the A1000 work with the cage
>	  and anything I plug in it?

Unknown - ASDG makes no claims about compatibility with non-standard expansion
products.

>	o If not, will Ronin's 68020 card for the B2000 work in the cage
>	  along with anything I plug in it?

As long as it is designed to spec, it will work in the 2000-and-1 CPU slot.

>	o Is there space to mount a couple of Syquest removable media
>	  drives?   (Not critical right at the moment.)

There is space for 2 3.5" and 1 5.25" half height devices. If the Syquest
drives can fit into such a form factor, you'll be ok.

>	Basically, I want to expand my A1000 and take advantage of the stuff
>for the 2000.  I think the time has come for me to get a hard disk, and I
>want to do it right (which means a 2090A and a SCSI drive).  However, I
>really don't like the ergonomics of the 2000, so I'm wondering if I can get
>away with just my 1000 and a 2000-and-1.

The 2000-and-1 should do just fine for these products as well as whatever
Zorro I memory expansion you've got now.

>	I want to keep my 68020, and not have to worry about whether or not
>this thing is going to interact badly with that thing, or that I need to
>have the B-PAL's installed, or that I have to stand on my head facing east.
>Whatever it is, I want to plug it in and have it work.  flickerFixer and 1M
>CHIP RAM aren't important to me at this time.

You may want to consult directly with Perry and our engineers about this
issue at AmiExpo.

>	If the 2000-and-1 will address these problems, then I'll write the
>check.  Otherwise, I'll settle for the 2000.

Let us know what you decide.

In article <10313@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>Leo ... why is the 'right thing' to do to have a hard disk in your
>system is to buy the 2090A?  (The 2090A doesn't do DMA, right?  If
>it does I'll shut up and go away).
              ^^^^^^^

Yep, you'd better shut up and go away.  The 2090 (the one without
autoboot), released over a year ago, DOES DMA, and in fact with FFS
it has been rated as one of the fastest controllers out there.
The 2090A is identical to the 2090 except that it has autoboot
ROMs.

>While we've been waiting patiently
>for the 2090A to come along, Micron (I think) has come out with a
>very similar board that does DMA, AND has room on it to become
>a 'hard card'.

You've ben waiting patiently for nothing :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (09/30/88)

Warning, warning - correction alert!

In article <10313@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>Leo ... why is the 'right thing' to do to have a hard disk in your
>system is to buy the 2090A?  (The 2090A doesn't do DMA, right?  If
>it does I'll shut up and go away).

Yes, the 2090 and 2090A do do DMA, but that is not necessarily a good
thing (perhaps I'll post a seperate article on this).

>While we've been waiting patiently
>for the 2090A to come along, Micron (I think) has come out with a
>very similar board that does DMA, AND has room on it to become
>a 'hard card'.

Entirely untrue. In fact, seems like Micron has plans to pull out of the
Amiga market. They'd much rather sell 2 Meg boards to the IBM folks who
are more willing to shell out $900 for 2 Meg... "Americas' Memory
Manafacturer" ... right

>Yes, I'm about to buy myself a hard disk system too :-)

I'd recommend you consider the GVP controller ...

>[just waiting for the shuttle to launch ... T-<so-many-minutes] and
> waiting for the upper level winds to die down.]
>--
><-- David Herron; The official MMDF guy of the 1988 Olympics <david@ms.uky.edu>

-Eric Lavitsky
The Man of Many Hats

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/30/88)

In article <10313@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>system is to buy the 2090A?  (The 2090A doesn't do DMA, right?  If
>it does I'll shut up and go away).

Both the 2090 and 2090A do DMA.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"People who post news as root probably have other bad habits, too."

In article <10313@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>Leo ... why is the 'right thing' to do to have a hard disk in your
>system is to buy the 2090A?  (The 2090A doesn't do DMA, right?  If
>it does I'll shut up and go away).  While we've been waiting patiently
>for the 2090A to come along, Micron (I think) has come out with a
>very similar board that does DMA, AND has room on it to become
>a 'hard card'.

	The 2090 AND 2090A are both DMA controllers.  Both support ST506 and
SCSI (I believe micron is SCSI only).  The 2090A will AutoBoot if you
have 1.3 KS roms.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (10/02/88)

First, thanks to everybody who pointed out that the 2090 series
are DMA boards.  I have to make a mental note to not trust what
my local dealer says without cross-checking him.  (He's the one
who said the 2090 was *not* DMA ...)

Second thing is that I made mention of a board from Micron.  I
was wrong, what I meant instead was one from MicroBotics which
is advertised in the current Amazing Computing.

Sorry for the confusion.

--

david%e.ms.uky.edu@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: David Herron -- One of the vertebrae <david@e.ms.uky.edu>