[comp.sys.amiga] Preferences, help?

dhines@utastro.UUCP (Dean Hines) (09/26/88)

I'm having problems with my preferences setup. I have Preferences set for an
Epson printer on my Workbench disk, and also on my harddrive JH0:.
However, when I get ready to print something, the preferences on JH0: has
been reset to the default settings. If I enter Preferences on JH0:, change
to Epson, and save, everything works fine. BUT the next time I reboot,
the Preferences on the harddrive get reset.

This isn't a major problem, but it can sure be frustrating. Has anyone else
had this problem, or am I just doing something stupid? Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

| Dean Hines                       Disclaimer: What? disclaim? Me?  |
| Astronomy                                                         |
| University of Texas               "Always store beer in a dark    |
| dhines@astro.as.utexas.edu          place."                       |
| dhines@utastro.UUCP                         Lazarus Long          |

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (09/27/88)

In article <3173@utastro.UUCP> dhines@utastro.UUCP (Dean Hines) writes:

>I'm having problems with my preferences setup. I have Preferences set for an
>Epson printer on my Workbench disk, and also on my harddrive JH0:.
>However, when I get ready to print something, the preferences on JH0: has
>been reset to the default settings. If I enter Preferences on JH0:, change
>to Epson, and save, everything works fine. BUT the next time I reboot,
>the Preferences on the harddrive get reset.
>
>This isn't a major problem, but it can sure be frustrating. Has anyone else
>had this problem, or am I just doing something stupid? Any help would be
>greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

This is a common misunderstanding in harddrive systems that are booted
from a floppy. When the system boots the preferences are loaded from the
file devs:system-configuration. At boot time devs: is really df0:devs.
However, after boot, most systems assign sys: devs: and other logical
directorys to the harddrive so that devs: is really dh0:devs. When you
run preferences from the harddrive and save, you are saving to
the file devs:system-configuration which is really dh0:devs/system-configuration
and not df0:devs/system-configuration, which is what you want.
The answer is to copy the system-configuration file from the harddrive to
the floppy. I have set up my prefernces icon to execute an xicon script
that performs this copy EVERY time I exit preferences.

			Hope this helps.
				BK

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
The official word, is NO. I am therefore going anyway!
   						          Kirk - Star Trek IV

                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (09/29/88)

In article <4833@cbmvax.UUCP> bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) writes:
[deleted stuff about wandering system-configuration files...]

>This is a common misunderstanding in harddrive systems that are booted
>from a floppy. When the system boots the preferences are loaded from the
>file devs:system-configuration. At boot time devs: is really df0:devs.
>However, after boot, most systems assign sys: devs: and other logical
>directorys to the harddrive so that devs: is really dh0:devs. When you
>run preferences from the harddrive and save, you are saving to
>the file devs:system-configuration which is really dh0:devs/system-configuration
>and not df0:devs/system-configuration, which is what you want.
>The answer is to copy the system-configuration file from the harddrive to
>the floppy. I have set up my prefernces icon to execute an xicon script
>that performs this copy EVERY time I exit preferences.

On a related note... The Prefs drawer on the V1.3 Workbench disk (coming
soon to a dealer near you!) contains an IconX script called CopyPrefs
which also copies devs:system-configuration to df0:devs/system-configuration.
We hope to have a little magic to zap this problem in 1.4.
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (09/29/88)

In article <3173@utastro.UUCP> dhines@utastro.UUCP (Dean Hines) writes:
>I'm having problems with my preferences setup. I have Preferences set for an
>Epson printer on my Workbench disk, and also on my harddrive JH0:.
>However, when I get ready to print something, the preferences on JH0: has
>been reset to the default settings. If I enter Preferences on JH0:, change
>to Epson, and save, everything works fine. BUT the next time I reboot,
>the Preferences on the harddrive get reset.
>
>This isn't a major problem, but it can sure be frustrating. Has anyone else
>had this problem, or am I just doing something stupid? Any help would be
>greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Bill Koester of CATS identified a solution to this problem in a previous
posting.  I just want to add that I've also seen this sort of problem if
the system-configuration file gets corrupted and/or its length somehow
becomes other that 232 bytes.  In this instance a default set of preferences
is used.
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100
1200 Wilson Drive                              {rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!eric
West Chester, PA 19380            "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (10/01/88)

Question about preferences on a hard disk not being saved properly:

Dean, you booted from the disk in df0: and when you save the preferences, they
are getting saved back to your boot disk.  If you will copy from your boot
disk to the hard disk, you'll get what you want, and the file to copy is
devs/system-configuration

Betty Clay
..........killer\!pollux\!bjc

bjc%pollux.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)