[comp.sys.amiga] Emerald Mine level restriction fix

todd@zippy.laic.uucp (10/01/88)

Thanks to helpful ideas from people who answered my previous request, I
have succeeded in copy-deprotecting Emerald Mine AND defeating the level
restriction.  I have to admit the technique is ad hoc but it worked for
me (twice) and if you _really_ want it, I'm sure you can get it to work
for you.  Here's the plan:

1.  For safety, use the copy deprotection fix previously posted (How
    someone figured that out is beyond me!).

2.  Boot EM, create a character (it's easier later if you use the first
    slot), solve level 1 and quit.

3.  Type
        type nam >nam1 opt h
    of course you'll have to specify appropriate drive names for nam
    and find a safe place to put nam1 while you reboot.

4.  Boot EM again, solve level 2 and quit.

5.  Type
    type nam >nam1 opt h
    and with an editor or whatever compare the 2 files.  Look for the
    first occurrence of an incremented byte (yes, it's the level number!).
    Ok, it's a little strange here and I didn't take the time to really
    unravel the mystery.  The first time I fixed it the values were
    something like 41 (nam1) and 42 (nam2) (which corresponded to levels
    1 and 2 of the game) so I changed the value in the current nam file
    (using filezap or any equivalent tool) to 60 or something.
    Anyway, the 2nd time the number was not 4X and whatever number
    I replaced it let me play to level 141!!
    Do NOT attempt to play a level that has not been
    programmed yet, the machine crashes (what did you expect?).
    It doesn't really matter, I just have to scroll bacwards to the
    last level I completed at the start of each new session.

So there you have it, in pretty vague terms yes, but I was very glad
to get it working at all.

If you need help, drop me a line.

Good luck!

Todd Stock