[comp.sys.amiga] UNCOMPRESS

detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) (07/26/88)

My apologies to all. I think I have finally figured out why I am not able
to uncompress files on my Amy.  I was misled by the fact that I was able
to download uuencoded and shar'd files without problems.  However, after
talking with kjohn at AmiExpo last week it dawned on me that those are
really ASCII files, not binary.  I now think my problem is with the download
process between my Ami and LOGNET2.ARPA.  I will work on that and again, my
apologies for cluttering up the net.  Dave

CMSgt Dave Detert      ARPANet:  detert@lognet2.arpa

SAC.509LGX@e.isi.edu (10/02/88)

Hello again with another silly question.

Is UNCOMPRESS available for the amiga?  I see COMPRESS on FF 51 but no uncompress.  I am having GREAT difficulty using files wht the .Z extension (obviously) since the NET I am on sdoes not support UNCOMPRESS.  Thanks for any help!

Steve Brady

>Hello again with another silly question.
>
>Is UNCOMPRESS available for the amiga?  I see COMPRESS on FF 51 but no uncompress.  I am having GREAT difficulty using files wht the .Z extension (obviously) since the NET I am on sdoes not support UNCOMPRESS.  Thanks for any help!
>
>Steve Brady

	compress and uncompress are the same program.  To uncompress a
file, use:

	compress -d <files>

	You can also copy the program to the name 'uncompress' (so you have
the two executables, 'compress' and 'uncompress' which are actually the same)
And then just say:

	uncompress <files>

	This is possible 'cause the program looks at av[0], the name of the
command, for the default compress/uncompress mode.

					-Matt

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (10/02/88)

In article <4357@louie.udel.EDU> SAC.509LGX@e.isi.edu writes:
>Is UNCOMPRESS available for the amiga?  I see COMPRESS on FF 51 but no uncompress.

Compress and uncompress are really the same program.  To compress a file you
use the command:

	compress foo

to decompress you use the command:

	compress -d foo

Optionally, if compress notices that its name is really "uncompress", then
the -d is unnecessary.  On UNIX, the files "compress" and "uncompress" are
links to the same executable.  On the Amiga you can copy "compress" to
"uncompress", if you want to waste the disk space to avoid typing "-d".

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113

SAC.509LGX%e.isi.edu@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: SAC.509LGX@e.isi.edu
Subject: UNCOMPRESS
Date: 1 Oct 88 19:37:43 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (10/04/88)

In Message <4357@louie.udel.EDU>, SAC.509LGX@e.isi.edu writes:

>Hello again with another silly question.
>
>Is UNCOMPRESS available for the amiga?  I see COMPRESS on FF 51 but no uncompress.  I am having GREAT difficulty using files wNht the .Z extension (obviously) since the NET I am on sdoes not support UNCOMPRESS.  Thanks for any help!
>
>Steve Brady

 Steve the compress version I have (not sure if its the same as on FF 51 or not,
 mine says "Compress V4.0 85/07/30 12:50:00") uses a "-d" flag to uncompress
 files.

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein        {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

    Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 40 Meg - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691