[comp.sys.amiga] following the sliding prop gadget

kevin%amdahl.uts.amdahl.com@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Kevin Clague <kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>
Subject: Re: following the sliding prop gadget
Date: 30 Sep 88 15:37:21 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

In article <9515@cup.portal.com> Sullivan@cup.portal.com writes:

>>I would like to see the contents of one of my windows scroll continouously
>>as I slide a prop gadget up and down, rather than just get one change
>>when I finish let go of the select button.  Preferences and Manx's SDB
>
>Sounds like your gadgets are changing the screen (as well they should) but
>since Intuition now has a lock on the front bitmap (to animate the gadget)
>nothing else in the window can update.

  more untruths about Intuition and gadgets deleted....

Intuition does not keep any lock on the window (or any of it's parts)
for long periods of time like that.  The problem is that you aren't
getting the messages when you expect them.  You must not have your
window or gadget set up properly.

When you want to get mousemoves from a gadget, you must make sure the
gadget AND the window's IDCMP stuff is set up properly.  All this is
from memory (boy I need to get some RKM's for work, or Net access at
home)...

To set things up:
   1.  Set up the FOLLOWMOUSE and GADGIMMEDIATE flags.  You can set
       RELVERIFY if you want to stop getting MOUSEMOVES when the mouse
       is outside the potentiometer's container.
       If you have IDCMP set up properly, this should give you
       GADGETDOWN, MOUSEMOVES, and GADGETUP messages.

   2.  In the window, you must make sure the window flags and IDCMPFlags
       are set up properly.  Make sure your NewWindow structure's Flags
       member has REPORTMOUSE set in it.

       If your program always wants to see MOUSEMOVES, you should set
       the MOUSEMOVES flag in the NewWindow structure's IDCMPFlags.

If you normally have your IDCMP set up to not receive MOUSEMOVES then
when the user presses the potentiometer gadget, you should start to
receive MOUSEMOVE message.  They should stop once the user releases the
mouse button (or go out of the potentiometer container and you have
RELVERIFY set.)

This is a long winded explanantion, but Sullivan seemed so far off base
that I felt I should try to correct things.  There is absolutely no
need to go directly to the screen to do any rendering or simulate
your own gadget stuff.

Tom Skrobala (the original author) seemed to be getting mouse moves,
but without more information, it's hard to know if they are associated
with the potentiometer gadget, or just the window.

peter%sugar.uu.net@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Peter da Silva <peter@sugar.uu.net>
Date: 1 Oct 88 11:44:45 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

In article <9515@cup.portal.com>, Sullivan@cup.portal.com writes:
> Sounds like your gadgets are changing the screen (as well they should) but
> since Intuition now has a lock on the front bitmap (to animate the gadget)
> nothing else in the window can update.

I update sliding gadgets continually all the time. No problem. just make
sure you have FOLLOWMOUSE set in the gadget.
--
        Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
         Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

ewhac%well.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab <ewhac@well.uucp>
Date: 1 Oct 88 08:24:41 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

>In article <2877@mtuxo.att.com> tas@mtuxo.att.com (XMPC2-T.SKROBALA) writes:
>>I would like to see the contents of one of my windows scroll continouously
>>as I slide a prop gadget up and down, [ ... ]
>>I thought of two ways to
>>accomplish this, and neither seems to work.  One way is to set the
>>prop-gadget's FOLLOWMOUSE flag and check the gadget's PropInfo structure
>>every time I get a MOUSEMOVE message; [ ... ]

    After having finished Yet Another G*d D*mn File Requester (can you
tell I'm burning out), I can tell you that this works.

>>The problem is that, as
>>soon as I press the mouse's select button, all MOUSEMOVE and INTUITICKS
>>messages appear to be suspended until I release the button (at which
>>point I get a flood of MOUSEMOVE messages).  [ ... ]

    It sounds to me like you have a bug in your processing loop (this is
a stab in the dark).

>>If I ever do succeed in getting continuous messages, is it
>>reasonable to expect the PropInfo structure to be updated continuously?

    Yes.

--------
In article <4875@cbmvax.UUCP> eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) writes:
>Preferences sets the FOLLOWMOUSE, GADGIMMEDIATE, RELVERIFY flags [ ... ]

    Why do you set RELVERIFY?  I set just FOLLOWMOUSE and GADGIMMEDIATE
and it works great.

>Also, beware of quick buildup of MOUSEMOVE messages.

    A way around that:
--------
    while (msg = GetMsg (window -> UserPort)) {
        class = msg -> Class;
        ReplyMsg (msg);
        if (class == MOUSEMOVE)
            moveit = 1;