[comp.sys.amiga] Hotel Scam for AmiExpo

In article <977@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>From article <2933@amiga.UUCP>, by jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz):
>> Dig this:
>
>Are there any cheaper hotels/motels in the general area? I don't mind
>driving a few minutes to save a chunk on hotel costs.

You're gonna have to drive more than just a few minutes. Downtown LA
is a financial centre, and like most, hotels are very expensive.

Your best bet is to trod on down to your local AAA and see if they can
help find a motel 6 or some such thing.

The REAL killer is the price of parking however, and even though I generally
will go through all sorts of twisted machinations to avoid paying for
parking, there is very little that can be done in this case.

C'est la vie.
C'ya there.

--
                           Ice IS civilization.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (09/27/88)

For us local yokels who will be driving to AmiExpo or those coming into
town and staying elsewhere and renting cars, the Expo guys have apparently
struck some kind of "parking validation" deal with the Bonaventure for
$6/day parking.  I believe this is mentioned in their ad which appeared
in the Oct. "Amiga Sentry" magazine which I can't put my hands on at
this moment in time, but at any rate a call to 1-800-32-Amiga would
get the facts.

To those of you who have never traversed the "financial district" of
Downtown Los Angeles what you basically have here is a lot of streets
with very little on street parking and a bunch of expensive multi-storied
parking structures near the hotel.  When at the Expo you'll also be
treated to the sight of the recently mostly-restored First Interstate
Bank building a couple blocks away, which was, in May '88, the scene of
a rather spectacular fire which consumed 12 floors of the building.

People who are not familiar with LA have been asking me "where's a good
cheap close place to stay."  To them I say "good luck."  There's a
Holiday Inn not far from the Expo site, and a Hyatt Regency just down
the street, or you can try to brave the Bonaventure itself. A posh
hotel with similarly posh prices :-)

For the truly adventure-inclined amongst you, hike about 5 blocks
to the east of the Bonaventure where you can revel in the sight of
LA's legions of homeless people sleeping in doorways and alleyways
and parks. But that's another story.

Looking forward to seeing you Expo-attendees!

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

In article <7322@gryphon.CTS.COM> (Richard Sexton) replies:
> You're gonna have to drive more than just a few minutes. Downtown LA
> is a financial centre, and like most, hotels are very expensive.

I told Blaine this, anyone else may find it interesting too. There is a
Vagabond on Figueroa at 30th St. This is just north of the USC campus
so it's not to bad. The University Hilton is also on Fig but they think
they are a downtown hotel. There is also a place on Olympic just west of
Vermont but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. Last time
I checked there was a bus that went right down (up?) Fig past the
Westin Boneventure. Anyway, as a place to crash it's probably just the
ticket.

> The REAL killer is the price of parking however, and even though I generally
> will go through all sorts of twisted machinations to avoid paying for
> parking, there is very little that can be done in this case.

Buses in the downtown vicinity are usually ok, if you can arrange to travel
in groups of 4 or 5 it's even better.

--Chuck McManis

In article <70403@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <977@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>> Are there any cheaper hotels/motels in the general area? I don't mind
>> driving a few minutes to save a chunk on hotel costs.
>
>I told Blaine this, anyone else may find it interesting too. There is a
>Vagabond on Figueroa at 30th St. This is just north of the USC campus
>so it's not to bad.

True, I had my parents stay there two years ago, and they really liked it.
At that time the price of a double room was $60, the cheapest I could find.
You can reserve rooms at the Vagabond Inn calling (213)746-1531.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (10/03/88)

        For those who are planning to stay at the Bonaventure Hotel during
AmiExpo and not planning to check in until Friday or Saturday might want to
check into thier weekend rates.  Last year the weekend rates were less than
the "convention special".  The same rooms at diffent rates, all you have to do
is ask.

                                                        -Shawn.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM
Opionions expressed are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.

bobb%tekfdi.fdi.tek.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: Robert Bales <bobb@tekfdi.fdi.tek.com>
Subject: Re: Hotel Scam for AmiExpo
Date: 3 Oct 88 18:45:49 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

In article <977@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>> Jim Mackraz

$$ The "special conference rate" at the LA Westin Bonaventura during AmiExpo
$$ is $110. (single).  Well, the "special weekend rate" which applies is
$$ about $65 for a single, but they're all taken, so I got the "deluxe
$$ single weekend rate," 27th floor, king-size bed, newly-remodeled for
$$ $85.

>Are there any cheaper hotels/motels in the general area?

I'm staying at the Best Western Towne Inn (? -- resevation is at home) at about
9th and Figuero, for $53/night + 12.5% tax, single. There is another Best
Western next door for slightly more, I think. I've never been to either place.

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.

bobb%tekfdi.fdi.tek.com%cunyvm.cuny.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: bobb%tekfdi.fdi.tek.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Date: 4 Oct 88 04:10:32 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU