[comp.sys.amiga] VLT docs on ucbvax are bad

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (09/18/88)

The vlt docs on ucbvax (I don't know who put them there) are bad. The
dvi file has no postamble. Yes, I used binary mode in ftp. Yes, I really
know what I am doing.

Could we get the TeX sources for the doc file posted there? That way if
we don't have a font that the dvi file demands, I can change things a
bit. I also might want to use a style file to fill up more of the page
(if it's in LaTeX, that is).

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  (Looking for his towel)           {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (09/18/88)

We ran into the same problem with dvi file in vltdocs.zoo from ucbvax.  The
TeX/Latex source would be nice.

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (09/18/88)

In article <10258@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

> The vlt docs on ucbvax (I don't know who put them there) are bad. The
> dvi file has no postamble. Yes, I used binary mode in ftp. Yes, I really
> know what I am doing.
>
> Could we get the TeX sources for the doc file posted there? That way if
> we don't have a font that the dvi file demands, I can change things a
> bit. I also might want to use a style file to fill up more of the page
> (if it's in LaTeX, that is).

The docs are in TeX, and there are a few problems in getting it:
(1) although the TeX docs are available (from bix, I have them), a macro
package from Stanford was used.  Thus the tex file is practically useless.
I don't know how big this macro file is, maybe I could talk Willy (Langeveld)
into posting it.
(2) the .dvi file you mentioned (I think it originally came from me) may
have suffered some transmission damage before I got it.  I was able to
print it even though some pages came out as garbage -- these I could reprint
individually.  I've been trying to get an intact version but the person I
got it from had a reproduction in the family and is pretty busy.
(3) the ASCII docs are always a possibility, but Willy says that it's got
some typos (he isn't responsible -- someone chopped all the tex formatting
out of the main doc file to create it).

It would be best to solve this problem by getting both the necessary macro
package and an intact .dvi file for the ftp archive, and I'll try to pursue
this.  Meanwhile, interested users should contact Willy at
	WGLP09@SLACVM.BITNET
for copies of the manual (I can also provide copies, but am a bit slow at
answering my mail sometimes).

Maurice LeBrun, Institute for Fusion Studies, University of Texas at Austin
  Internet: mjl%fusion.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu	Phone: 512-442-7636 H
     or	    mjl%uta.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa			       512-471-6149 W
"If cows ate plankton, whales would starve"

wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) (09/29/88)

I got the VLT docs ,as a .dvi file, from csd4.milw.wisc.edu via anonymous ftp
and they worked fine.

BTW I have been using VTL as a terminal on a VAX runder VMS.  It has some
problems though when I run applications using the DI3000 graphics package. It
works fine when the di3000 device type is set to tek4010, but when the device
type is set to 4014, or 4105, I run into a couple of problems.       Text
(generated by di3000) appearing  on the tek screen does not seem to start where
is should, but rather whereever the curser happens to be at the time.
The other problem is that it does not switch between the alpha-numeric and
graphics screens
correctly.   The FORTRAN program which uses DI3000  has some write and print
startments.
The problem is that when in 4014 or 4105 mode, the text always comes up on the
graphics screen.
In 4010 mode,  I switch to to alpha-numeric screen, and only after the text is
finished displaying
will it switch to graphics.

When I do this on a MAC running versiterm, 4105 ,4014 works just as well as
4010.

Am I doing something wrong, or is VLT just not complete as a 4014/4105 emulator?

                                                WRN

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/30/88)

In article <EXEaCBy00V4CE5nExl@andrew.cmu.edu> wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) writes:
>BTW I have been using VLT as a terminal on a VAX runder VMS.  It has some
>problems though when I run applications using the DI3000 graphics package. It
>works fine when the di3000 device type is set to tek4010, but when the device

I have a graphics program I wrote to address a tek 4106 or 4107
terminal.  I have no idea how these relate to the 4010 or 4014 or any
other tek terminal.  Is one a subset of the other, or are they
completely different?  Bottom line, will VLT work with this?

Thanks,

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

In article <12898@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <EXEaCBy00V4CE5nExl@andrew.cmu.edu> wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) writes:
>>BTW I have been using VLT as a terminal on a VAX runder VMS.  It has some
>>problems though when I run applications using the DI3000 graphics package. It
>>works fine when the di3000 device type is set to tek4010, but when the device
>
>I have a graphics program I wrote to address a tek 4106 or 4107
>terminal.  I have no idea how these relate to the 4010 or 4014 or any
>other tek terminal.  Is one a subset of the other, or are they
>completely different?  Bottom line, will VLT work with this?

The Tek 4010 and 4014 are "monochrome" vector displays. As such, programs such
as VLT and A-Talk III do emulate all of the 4010/4014 features except defocused
mode.

The Tek 4105 is the low-end "color" tek vector machine.  The tek 4107 adds
"surfaces" and an extended command set.  Both feature integrated graphics
and ANSI emulation on separate or the same screen.  VLT emulates only the
simpler tek 4105 routines, move pen, draw, set color, set colormap and set
pattern (this one is not fully implemented). That's it.  Which means that
most 4105-4107 compatible commercial programs won't work with it.  If you
write a program that uses ONLY the above commands, VLT is for you.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

ejkst%cisunx.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: "Eric J. Kennedy" <ejkst@cisunx.uucp>
Subject: Re: VLT docs on ucbvax are bad
Date: 30 Sep 88 14:27:14 GMT