[comp.sys.amiga] Publishing Partner Professional/ Professional Page

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (09/28/88)

	Well, I just received my cancelled check from Soft Logik, indicating
that Publishing Partner is finished.  I contacted Soft Logik and the shipping
date has been set for October 10.  One interesting note is that Gold Disk
has sent out offers to Page Setter owners of an upgrade offer of $100 for
Professional Page.  This offer does not require that you send in your
Page Setter disk, especially if you have already sent it to Soft Logik
for there special "upgrade" offer.  The catch is that you have to act fast,
before Sept 31st.

	I have grown somewhat suspicious if Soft Logik can deliver Publishing
Partner as stated in its advertisements and brochure, especially after
several months of delays, and the number they did to the Atari ST users
when they officially released prerelease versions of their product do to
pressure from the Atari community.  Therefore, I have decided to snatch up
Gold Disks offer.  So for $150 total I have a proven and tested, top of
the line desk top publisher that'll hog up my 2.5 Meg Amiga with ease
but give me all the features I may ever need and a potentially equally
competent package that will work with 512K, and will offer superior dot
matrix output.

					Wilson Cheung

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (09/30/88)

In article <1926@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:

>pressure from the Atari community.  Therefore, I have decided to snatch up
>Gold Disks offer.  So for $150 total I have a proven and tested, top of
>the line desk top publisher that'll hog up my 2.5 Meg Amiga with ease
>but give me all the features I may ever need and a potentially equally
>competent package that will work with 512K, and will offer superior dot
>matrix output.

	While I think that Gold Disk's Professional Page V1.1 is an
excellant produce I must point out one inaccuracy in your above statement.
The current dot matrix output from PP V1.1 does not match the PROPOSED
(important word here) output from Publising Partner due to the different
ways both programs get their data to the printer.

	Professional Page V1.1 works in an internal resolution of 120x72
dpi.  When it outputs a page to a non PostScript printer it creates a
rastport which is approx. 960 x 720 dots (120 dpi x 8 inches and
72 dpi x 10 inches).  If your printer's resolution is greater than this
then you will experience some chunkiness in the output.  Of couse if
you output to a PostScript printer then you'll catch beautiful output
at the resolution of the printer (usually 300 dpi).

	Publishing Partner Plus chose a different approach.  They plan
to look at the resolution of the printer and create a rastport at the
resolution of the printer.  They then plan to render into this rastport
and then dump it.  This should give PostScript like output on any
non PostScript printer.

	Some things to keep in mind:

	- you can go and buy Professional Page V1.1 right now
	- Publising Partner Plus isn't out yet

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/01/88)

in article <4886@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) says:
> In article <1926@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) writes:

>>pressure from the Atari community.  Therefore, I have decided to snatch up
>>Gold Disks offer.  ...

> 	While I think that Gold Disk's Professional Page V1.1 is an
> excellant produce I must point out one inaccuracy in your above statement.
> The current dot matrix output from PP V1.1 does not match the PROPOSED
> (important word here) output from Publising Partner due to the different
> ways both programs get their data to the printer.

If you need high power DTP today, or color DTP in the near future, and you
have access to a Postscript printer, PP V1.1 is what you want.  In fact, I
just took advantage of the upgrade offer myself, having this nice Eicon
Postscript printer sitting right next door.

However, PP V1.1 isn't all that great for dot matrix printers, and it doesn't
pretend to be.  ProPage uses an internal working resolution, since obviously
you need something for screen display.  Appropriate Amiga fonts are used to
simulate as closely as possible on your screen display what you'll get on output
to the Postscript printer.  Output to dot matrix printers through Preferences
drivers works much the same way.

Publishing Partner (they both come out "PP", don't they...) uses a different
approach.  It uses it's own custom outline fonts, for display (I think) and
for output to dot matrix printers.  That's exactly what Postscript engines
do. As long as Publishing Partner knows the resolution of your output device,
it can scale it's outline fonts accordingly, and thus give your the best
possible output for that specific printer.

To date, at least, Publishing Partner doesn't support color.  So for dot matrix
printing "tomorrow", Publishing Partner is a win.  But you will have to wait.
For Postscript in color, or today, ProPage wins.  For monochrome output in
Postscript, I expect either will work just fine.  ProPage has a very nice on
screen display and decent user interface.  From what I've seen of the Amiga
version of Publishing Partner, it's got a somewhat better user interface, and
somewhat weaker screen display.  All subjective, of course.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

daveh%cbmvax.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Dave Haynie <daveh@cbmvax.uucp>
Subject: Re: Publishing Partner Professional/ Professional Page
Date: 30 Sep 88 19:05:18 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

perley%caesar.steinmetz@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Donald P Perley <perley@caesar.steinmetz>
Date: 30 Sep 88 21:17:31 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

 Cheung) writes:

>  This offer does not require that you send in your
>Page Setter disk, especially if you have already sent it to Soft Logik
>for there special "upgrade" offer.  The catch is that you have to act fast,
>before Sept 31st.

Does this mean that if the letter is postmarked September 31 you can or can't
get the offer? :-)

-don perley

pa1132%sdcc15.uucp@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: pa1132 <pa1132@sdcc15.uucp>
Date: 3 Oct 88 16:28:40 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

What is the current status of the Amiga version of the Publishing
Partner Prfessional?  Is the working version released already?

daveh%cbmvax.uucp%UDEL.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: daveh%cbmvax.uucp@UDEL.EDU
Date: 3 Oct 88 22:02:32 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU