[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap colour printer

Ever get one of those DAK catalogues ful of neat gizmoz ?

They used to have Quadram Quadjet color ink jet printers for $500
with a bunch of schlock IBM software. A good, but not terrific, deal.

I was in a DAK store today, and they no longer list the printer
in the catalogue, but they had one in the store for $149.

Maybe they have a few left over, I dont know. Try the phone.

--
                         One of Olegs psuedofriends
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (09/25/88)

This is going to sound suspiciously like a plug.  It is not.  The reason that
it is not a plug is because my company doesn't even sell this printer any more.
With that said:

If you are looking for a cheap color printer see if you can pick up the old
Tandy CGP220.  It is an ink jet printer that uses two cartriges, one for black
ink and one that contains Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow ink.  In graphics mode it
prints dots on a 1:1 (Yea!) aspect ratio with up to 640 dots across the page.
Obviously you would have to dither or do Floyd Steinberg or something in order
to get more colors out of it but I think it's a really neat printer.

Here's why you might want one:

1) It should be very cheap IF (and that's a big if) you can find one.  We're
talking $100 or so.  During the final closeouts of this one it was going for
around $140 or so.

2) Tandy still sells both kinds of cartridges.

3) The color printing from this is considerably cheaper than say a Okidata 20.
The Okidata will give you ~7 or 8 color pages from a ribbon but you have about
3 million characters worth of ink in each of the three colors in the color
cartridge, the last time I checked they wanted ~$19 for the color cartridge and
slightly less for the black (you need one of each for the printer to run).

If this sounds like something you are interested in I wish you luck in finding
one in your town.

John Munsch

Tandy didn't put me up to this.  Most of the people working here have even
forgotten the printer ever existed.

[Tandy colour printer info deleted]

Didn't sound like a commercial to me. I've never heard of the thing. Is it
a Tandy engine, or a Canon clone, like the Quadram.

Care to comment on the ink colour quality ? Is red RED like the Tektronix,
orange like the HP and the Canon, or a tad on the cyan side like the Xerox ?

How about blue ? Is it greenish, purpleish, or BLUE ?

Can you still buy these things in Radio Shacks ?

--
          I think you'll find there's less to me than meets the eye.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (09/28/88)

> Didn't sound like a commercial to me. I've never heard of the thing. Is it
> a Tandy engine, or a Canon clone, like the Quadram.
The cgp-220 is a canon-pj1080a clone.  Even looks pretty much identical.

> Care to comment on the ink colour quality ? Is red RED like the Tektronix,
> orange like the HP and the Canon, or a tad on the cyan side like the Xerox ?
>
> How about blue ? Is it greenish, purpleish, or BLUE ?
Whatever the 1080a looks like, I expect the cgp-220 is identical.

> Can you still buy these things in Radio Shacks ?
Been discontinued a long time.  Unlikely.

It does use a different ROM set so you need a cgp-220 driver.  At one time
I heard you could order a new 1080 ROM set from Canon and install it which
might be a smart idea.  I don't remember where I heard it so I can't give
any more info.

David Albrecht

ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) (09/28/88)

In article <7291@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> [Tandy colour printer info deleted]
>
> Didn't sound like a commercial to me. I've never heard of the thing. Is it
> a Tandy engine, or a Canon clone, like the Quadram.
>
> Care to comment on the ink colour quality ? Is red RED like the Tektronix,
> orange like the HP and the Canon, or a tad on the cyan side like the Xerox ?
>
> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

My understanding is that it is in fact the Canon PJ-1080 (??) color ink
jet with a Tandy label on it.  This printer is also flogged by IBM as
the hardcopy device for their 3179G/3192G color graphics terminals
(or was until they discontinued it in June).  I heard the Tandy was the
same from someone trying to direct us to supplies for our now orphaned
IBM's (which I got at the end of May :(....
As for the colors, they tend toward those of the HP PaintJet more than
the Xerox ones.  And aside from being Horrendously slow and fairly noisy
(compared to the HP) it's not a bad graphics printer.

An unsolicted word to the wise on these things..... when it comes to
paper, all color inkjets are NOT created equal. We've tried crossing
the IBM's paper with the HP's.... with results varying from poor (HP
paper in IBM/Canon printer) to spectacularly bad (IBM paper in HP).

Scott Denham
Western Atlas International
Houston Tx

As I am kept completely in the dark with a steady supply of organic
fertilizer, any opinions expressed could only be my own (or fertilizer).

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (10/02/88)

Taking the questions in order:

>Didn't sound like a commercial to me. I've never heard of the thing. Is it
>a Tandy engine, or a Canon clone, like the Quadram.

Darned if I know, I've never seen another printer quite like it.  It is very
small and fairly quiet.  It may just have been custom manufactured for us,
I'll try to find out.

>Care to comment on the ink colour quality ? Is red RED like the Tektronix,
>orange like the HP and the Canon, or a tad on the cyan side like the Xerox ?

The red is a tad orangish but the saturation on all the colors is what
attracted me to it.  That and the simplicity of interface (and the cost of
printing on it :-).

>How about blue ? Is it greenish, purpleish, or BLUE ?

I'll check.  My printer is at home right now.

>Can you still buy these things in Radio Shacks ?

Absolutely not.  If you could I would never have mentioned them.  Some people
have this thing about Tandy equipment and anything that even sounded like it
could have been a plug would have generated enough flames to melt my socks.
For that reason I don't discuss anything that Tandy does (I'm sure that is why
the Microsoft people on the net are so quiet also, it does no good to argue
with people who have already made up their minds).

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/03/88)

From article <7291@gryphon.CTS.COM>, by richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
> [Tandy colour printer info deleted]
>
> Didn't sound like a commercial to me. I've never heard of the thing. Is it
> a Tandy engine, or a Canon clone, like the Quadram.

It's the Canon PJ-1080A with a different sticker on the front. There may
be some difference in the ROM (as with the Quadram), but its the same
basic printer, and the ink packs are interchangable.

The same printer was also OEMed by IBM. The IBM version was the subject
of a big closeout promotion in Computer Shopper last year for $200. This
was at the same time that Radio Shack was closing out their version for
$200 also. (Me? I bought a used Canon for about $50.)

It seems that Canon dropped the PJ-1080A at just the wrong time, since
the Amiga stirred up a market for cheap color printers. I've heard a
rumor that they were putting it back into production, any truth there?

I've also heard that someone was selling an improved ROM for the Canon
that changed the horrible font it comes with into something usable. If anyone
knows where to find this upgrade, please let me know.

> Care to comment on the ink colour quality ? Is red RED like the Tektronix,
> orange like the HP and the Canon, or a tad on the cyan side like the Xerox ?

The colors aren't anything to get too excited over. Since it is the
Canon under the skin, it shares the same purplish blue, and the orange
reds.

> How about blue ? Is it greenish, purpleish, or BLUE ?
>
> Can you still buy these things in Radio Shacks ?

I don't think so, and the ink packs seem to be a special order item now.
I've been told that only the Radio Shack Computer Centers can even order
the ink packs. However, Radio Shack still seems to be the best source
for them.

My only interest here is improving the performance of a useful
peripherial my Amiga owns.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

blgardne%esunix.uucp@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: Blaine Gardner <blgardne@esunix.uucp>
Subject: Re: Cheap colour printer
Date: 2 Oct 88 20:47:13 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From article <7291@gryphon.CTS.COM>, by richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard
 Sexton):
> [Tandy colour printer info deleted]
>
> Didn't sound like a commercial to me. I've never heard of the thing. Is it
> a Tandy engine, or a Canon clone, like the Quadram.

It's the Canon PJ-1080A with a different sticker on the front. There may
be some difference in the ROM (as with the Quadram), but its the same
basic printer, and the ink packs are interchangable.

The same printer was also OEMed by IBM. The IBM version was the subject
of a big closeout promotion in Computer Shopper last year for $200. This
was at the same time that Radio Shack was closing out their version for
$200 also. (Me? I bought a used Canon for about $50.)

It seems that Canon dropped the PJ-1080A at just the wrong time, since
the Amiga stirred up a market for cheap color printers. I've heard a
rumor that they were putting it back into production, any truth there?

I've also heard that someone was selling an improved ROM for the Canon
that changed the horrible font it comes with into something usable. If anyone
knows where to find this upgrade, please let me know.

> Care to comment on the ink colour quality ? Is red RED like the Tektronix,
> orange like the HP and the Canon, or a tad on the cyan side like the Xerox ?

The colors aren't anything to get too excited over. Since it is the
Canon under the skin, it shares the same purplish blue, and the orange
reds.

> How about blue ? Is it greenish, purpleish, or BLUE ?
>
> Can you still buy these things in Radio Shacks ?

I don't think so, and the ink packs seem to be a special order item now.
I've been told that only the Radio Shack Computer Centers can even order
the ink packs. However, Radio Shack still seems to be the best source
for them.

My only interest here is improving the performance of a useful
peripherial my Amiga owns.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
             utah-cs!esunix!blgardne        usna!esunix!blgardne
"Nobody will ever need more than 64K."    "Nobody needs multitasking on a PC."

evans@shuksan.UUCP (Gary Evans) (10/05/88)

 I would also like the location to get the newer roms for the Radio Shack
 Color printer CGP220. I could even use a hint as to what printer driver
 everyone's using.

					Thanks,
					Gary Evans
					PH. (206) 251-4638