[comp.sys.amiga] 2090A and DMA

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/01/88)

In article <12453@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> The 2090A is identical to the 2090 except that it has autoboot
> ROMs.

Uh ... I really hope this is just an over generalization you've made, Marco,
and not true.  I had thought the 54 Meg partition size limitation/bug was to
have gotten fixed in the 2090A.  And also the number of heads limit, etc.

CATS?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (10/01/88)

In article <bb0RR3dgvg1010O6Xxs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>Uh ... I really hope this is just an over generalization you've made, Marco,
>and not true.  I had thought the 54 Meg partition size limitation/bug was to
>have gotten fixed in the 2090A.  And also the number of heads limit, etc.
>
>CATS?
>
>/kim

The 54 Meg partition size limit is a bug in the filing system.  That limit
is present on ANY hard disk (or RAM disk) that has the old 1.2 Filing system
mounted on it.  Partition was the key word.  The device doesn't handle
partitions, the filing system does.  This has been theoretically raised
to 2.5 Gigabytes by the Fast Filing System in the V1.3 Workbench release.

Now I have a question.  How can we transparently handle disk media that
has a capacity >2.5 Gigabytes.  A lot of software is going to break just
because they've gone over 31 bits of offset (a longword becomes negative
then).  An even larger problem exists when you go over 4.2 Gigabytes since
that will overflow a longword.  IO_OFFSET specified in blocks would have
made sense (especially since everyone in the world says IO_OFFSET must be
a multiple of the devices blocksize), but that's not an available option.

The only safe thing I can think of are CMD_READ_EXTENDED and CMD_WRITE_EXT
on future device drivers.  It isn't possible to just limit partitions to
<2.5 Gigs since the filing system has to make it's requests in terms of
physical blocks, not blocks relative to the start of the partition.  Anyone
got any ideas they'd care to air ?

	Steve

thad@cup.portal.com (10/03/88)

Re: Steve Beat's request for ideas addressing massive storage devices ...

Present SCSI (for example) uses 32-bits to address a logical block.  Assuming
one's block size is 512 bytes, this would permit one to "reach" 2 TeraBytes
(2^12).

Given the possibility of, say, optical media having capacities in that
ballpark within a few years, the problem is not moot.

At the MINIMUM, I see the need for 48 bits of addressing such devices; at the
least would be 32-bits for a "block" and 16 bits for a byte-offset within the
block.

As a suggestion, I would recommend contacting the (known) developers of such
large storage devices now and ask them how they expect their devices to be
incorporated and used in computing systems.

As a matter of general interest, the ANSI X3T9.2 SCSI committee operates a
BBS system dedicated to the discussion of such matters as they pertain to
ANSI standards and the manufactuers of equipment expected to be in compliance
with the standards.  The SCSI-2 standard is nearly completed (for review), and
SCSI-3 is in the planning stages.  John Lohmeyer (the Chairman of X3T9.2)
recently informed me of some exciting new developments on the horizon.  Since
CBM has a need to also be compliant with future standards, I'd recommend
applying for an account on the SCSI BBS; contact me (email) if you'd like
additional info.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (10/03/88)

In article <bb0RR3dgvg1010O6Xxs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <12453@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> The 2090A is identical to the 2090 except that it has autoboot ROMs.
>
>Uh ... I really hope this is just an over generalization you've made, Marco,
>and not true.  I had thought the 54 Meg partition size limitation/bug was to
>have gotten fixed in the 2090A.  And also the number of heads limit, etc.

The 54 Meg partition problem was a limitation caused by a "bug" in the
original (slow) file system, it has nothing to do with firmware on the 2090/A.
The only real problem that should have been fixed in the 2090A firmware was
the limitation of 8 heads or less for ST-506 devices.

>CATS?

Thank the lord we have them!

>/kim

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{att,ucbvax}!ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/03/88)

in article <bb0RR3dgvg1010O6Xxs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
> In article <12453@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>> The 2090A is identical to the 2090 except that it has autoboot
>> ROMs.

> Uh ... I really hope this is just an over generalization you've made, Marco,
> and not true.  I had thought the 54 Meg partition size limitation/bug was to
> have gotten fixed in the 2090A.

That's a bug in the Standard FileSystem, not the controller.  Fast FileSystem
fixes it, so you now get partitions around 2.5 Gigs if you can use 'em.

> And also the number of heads limit, etc.

There's no head limit on SCSI, due to the nature of SCSI (eg, it's all software
aside from the SCSI port).  The standard number of ST-506 heads, which is what
the 2090 supported, was 8.  At some point along it's lifetime, an additional
line was usurped by several manufacturers to give you 16 lines.  Don't know if
this was ever done in a standard way (here's that CPU guy trying to answer a
disk question again...), or if there's any chance 2090s or 2090As will
support it.

> CATS?

Them too.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

kim%amdahl.uts.amdahl.com@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Kim DeVaughn <kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>
Subject: 2090A and DMA (was: Re: 2000-and-1 expansion box)
Date: 30 Sep 88 22:02:50 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

steveb%cbmvax.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Steve Beats <steveb@cbmvax.uucp>
Subject: Re: 2090A and DMA (was: Re: 2000-and-1 expansion box)
Date: 1 Oct 88 15:36:15 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

thad%cup.portal.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: thad@cup.portal.com
Date: 2 Oct 88 23:55:34 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

thad%cup.portal.com%cunyvm.cuny.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: thad%cup.portal.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Date: 4 Oct 88 02:07:26 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From: thad@cup.portal.com
Date: 2 Oct 88 23:55:34 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

mlelstv@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (10/05/88)

In article <4413@louie.udel.EDU> kim%amdahl.uts.amdahl.com@UDEL.EDU writes:
>> The 2090A is identical to the 2090 except that it has autoboot
>> ROMs.
>
>Uh ... I really hope this is just an over generalization you've made, Marco,
>and not true.  I had thought the 54 Meg partition size limitation/bug was to
>have gotten fixed in the 2090A.  And also the number of heads limit, etc.

Hello,

This might be an over generalization, but the partition size limitation
has nothing to do with the controller and the heads limit is just a
software problem i.e. ROMs that are changed.
The interesting thing is: Have they fixed the DMA bug that occurs under
overscan + hires + max. bitplanes ? I hope.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!faui44!mlelstv