[comp.sys.amiga] Colour output technology, was

In article <927@mystefix.liu.se> mikhe@mystefix.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:

>	2. I don't know of one Laserprinter (with or without PostScript)
>		that outputs hardcopies in COLOR.

True enough. You can't buy one right now, but they do exist.

I once talked to Brian Reid about them, in May:

``Yeah, I've seen them. They're very slow, about 3 minutes to image
after you say SHOWPAGE. Also they're going to be very expensive.
> $25K. There's a limited market for them - It's basically
the vanity market. They can't do volume, so people will
still use colour seps from a typesetter.''

>               Also few copying machines
>		duplicate color print in color! OK other color printers
>		are improving their output quality, but I feel that a nice
>		and ordinary Draw program that outputs in Black and White
>		(so that you can run it through your Xerox copier and
>		actually DUPLICATE and DISTRIBUTE it) would do the trick.

Well, we'll know in a couple of weeks. Gold Disk is supposed to be
showing their draw program at Ami Expo here in L.A.

--
          I think you'll find there's less to me than meets the eye.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (09/26/88)

In article <7267@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <927@mystefix.liu.se> mikhe@mystefix.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:
>>	2. I don't know of one Laserprinter (with or without PostScript)
>>		that outputs hardcopies in COLOR.
>True enough. You can't buy one right now, but they do exist.

I thought that printers with resolution >= 300dpi (truely, not the funny
specs on dot matrix printers) in color are available. I don't know if they
are laser printers or thermal transfers or what. I believe that QMS makes one.

BTW, if you have to ask how much one costs, you can't afford it.

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (09/29/88)

     For Reference Purposes:

Tektronix makes a color 300DPI output device, their 4693D IS a 300DPI color
output device.  Costs about 12 grand though, and would need the
(ecch) Mac-Too interface to get it to work with the AMiga.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ----------------------|-------------------             |

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (10/01/88)

In article <7371@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:

>     For Reference Purposes:
>
>Tektronix makes a color 300DPI output device, their 4693D IS a 300DPI color
>output device.  Costs about 12 grand though, and would need the
>(ecch) Mac-Too interface to get it to work with the AMiga.

	Actually the base unit cost $8000 not $12,000 (we have
one here at cbm).  As far as a driver goes, there is a V1.3
printer driver which has the odd name of 'Tektronix_4693D' :^)

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (10/03/88)

In article <4900@cbmvax.UUCP> daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
>In article <7371@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:
>>
>>     For Reference Purposes:
>>
>>Tektronix makes a color 300DPI output device, their 4693D IS a 300DPI color
>>output device.  Costs about 12 grand though, and would need the
>>(ecch) Mac-Too interface to get it to work with the AMiga.
>>
>	Actually the base unit cost $8000 not $12,000 (we have
>one here at cbm).  As far as a driver goes, there is a V1.3
>printer driver which has the odd name of 'Tektronix_4693D' :^)

Dave;

Points:

1) True, base lists for $8,999.95.  You then need an interface and an
   additional 4MB RAM to print a full 8.5" x 11" page, bringing the
   total cost to $11,999,95 before tax.  Remember, I work in a store
   where we SELL the things.

2) The Tek driver for WB 1.3 has serious problems (won't do subtle shades
   of either blue or green, output appears matted).  We were a test site.
   The problem has been reported to both Tek and CBM.

John

--

daveb%cbmvax.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Dave Berezowski <daveb@cbmvax.uucp>
Subject: Re: Colour output technology, was(Re: Structured Graphics Standard)
Date: 30 Sep 88 17:42:10 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

daveb%cbmvax.uucp%UDEL.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: daveb%cbmvax.uucp@UDEL.EDU
Date: 3 Oct 88 21:56:19 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From: Dave Berezowski <daveb@cbmvax.uucp>
Date: 30 Sep 88 17:42:10 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (10/06/88)

In article <7457@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:

>Dave;
>
>Points:
>
>1) True, base lists for $8,999.95.  You then need an interface and an
>   additional 4MB RAM to print a full 8.5" x 11" page, bringing the
>   total cost to $11,999,95 before tax.  Remember, I work in a store
>   where we SELL the things.

	Hmmm, Tektronix told me that the base was $8000.00 and that you
        only needed the extra memory (and cost) if you wanted to go to
        4 users.  But if you actually sell them then I guess you may be
	more up on the situation than I am. :^)

>2) The Tek driver for WB 1.3 has serious problems (won't do subtle shades
>   of either blue or green, output appears matted).  We were a test site.
>   The problem has been reported to both Tek and CBM.

	Yes, the Tektronix_4693D is a very strange beast.  It wants the
SOURCE data sent to it not the usually pre-filtered stuff that I send to
all other printers.  It wants to do ALL the imaging itself which takes
almost all of the control away from the driver.  The only thing you can
do with the driver is color correction (which may help your colors a bit).
Tektronix has made a ROM change just recently which does improve the
imaging (or so I've been told).

	You say that you are/were a test site for the printer and driver.
That's strange, I never had an external Tektronix_4693D test site.  Were
you doing this thru Tektronix?

	Regards, D.B.

	PS. The latest driver (which Tektronix is playing with) now supports
strip printing.  This means that it now works with Professional Page,
ProWrite, Shakespeare, Excellence, and DeluxePhotoLab (to name a few).