[comp.sys.amiga] DEAD Amiga 8

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan Chang) (10/03/88)

	My amiga just died a very sudden death, and my attempts to diagnose
the problem lead me nowhere, so, HELP!

System:	  Amiga 1000 with 1.5M total (C Ltd AMega board)

Symptom:  System was left on for more than an hour (while I watched US
          men's volleyball team defeat the Soviets 8).  Came back after
	  the match to use dnet.  Found a copy of dnet still running in
	  memory.  So I did a warm-boot.  Screen blanked, and came up
	  purple.  Strange, I thought...  Try the three-finger trick again,
	  and this time the system didn't respond.  Now I'm in trouble...
	  Turned the computer off, let it sit for a few seconds, and turned
	  it back on:  I got several horizontal streaks of purple.  No
	  drive activity, and the power LED didn't blink...
Other
Symptoms: Connected another computer to the serial port to listen for error
	  codes.  Nothing.  Unplugged everything except the monitor.
	  Nothing.  Took the computer apart and reseated all the chips.
	  Nothing.  Checked the voltages out of the power supply: got +5,
	  +12, -5, and +3.5(?).   Don't have the hardware manual with me,
	  so don't know if they're the proper voltages... Admired all the
	  signatures on the cover...  Somehow that didn't help either 8).

	Any idea what could be wrong?  I'm beginning to miss Marble
	Madness! already... 8(
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (10/06/88)

In article <2457@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan Chang) writes:

>	My amiga just died a very sudden death, and my attempts to diagnose
>the problem lead me nowhere, so, HELP!
>
>System:	  Amiga 1000 with 1.5M total (C Ltd AMega board)
>

>	  +12, -5, and +3.5(?).   Don't have the hardware manual with me,

Um that sounds like something has the -12 volt supply clobbered. It is time
for roading down to your local Amiga repair facility and having things
repaired.
(Look in hte PS for a blown fuse or something simple like that first.)

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.