[comp.sys.amiga] Execute command bug with T: and :T/

dan-hankins%cup.portal.com@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: dan-hankins@cup.portal.com
Subject: Execute command bug with T: and :T/
Date: 29 Sep 88 04:14:49 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

HELP!!!!!!!

I am nesting Execute commands in my startup-sequence.  Execute wants to
write to :T/Command-T-xx whenever I do.  Creating RAM:T and assigning T:
to RAM:T doesn't work.

changing both references of :T in the Execute binaries to T: seems to help,
but for some reason the startup-sequence still complains (with a requester)
at some point about DF0: being read-only (namely the point at which I attempt
to execute the first nested Execute script).  The relevant portions of my
startup-sequence look like this:

IF NOT EXISTS RAM:T
  makedir RAM:T
ENDIF
Assign T: RAM:T

Execute Setup1 ;Requester is put up at this point.  Clicking on CANCEL causes
               ;execution to continue normally
Execute Setup2 ;No requester asked for.

Dan Hankins

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) (10/06/88)

In article <4412@louie.udel.EDU> dan-hankins%cup.portal.com@UDEL.EDU writes:

>HELP!!!!!!!
>
>I am nesting Execute commands in my startup-sequence.  Execute wants to
>write to :T/Command-T-xx whenever I do.  Creating RAM:T and assigning T:
>to RAM:T doesn't work.
>
>IF NOT EXISTS RAM:T
>  makedir RAM:T
>ENDIF
>Assign T: RAM:T

That "if" is your problem. During startup-sequence RAM: does NOT exist so
1) it is not needed and 2) it forces a command-t-xx file into the current
sys:t or t: directory. The solution is pull the makedir ram:t outa the if
clause and do it every startup near the beginning - before any if's.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (10/07/88)

In article <7519@gryphon.CTS.COM>, jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (J. Dow) writes:
> In article <4412@louie.udel.EDU> dan-hankins%cup.portal.com@UDEL.EDU writes:
> >I am nesting Execute commands in my startup-sequence.  Execute wants to
> >write to :T/Command-T-xx whenever I do.  Creating RAM:T and assigning T:
> >to RAM:T doesn't work.
> >IF NOT EXISTS RAM:T
> >  makedir RAM:T
> >ENDIF
> >Assign T: RAM:T
> That "if" is your problem. During startup-sequence RAM: does NOT exist so
> 1) it is not needed and 2) it forces a command-t-xx file into the current
> sys:t or t: directory. The solution is pull the makedir ram:t outa the if
> clause and do it every startup near the beginning - before any if's.

If RAM:T already exists, there might be an error code generated by
the MAKEDIR, potentially causing the script to fail unless FAILAT
is set to a high enough value.

One of the simplest ways of causing RAM: to exist at the start of
the world is the following in the startup-sequence.  The nice part
about it is that it won't cause a script failure if RAM: does not
exist:

	DIR > NIL: RAM:

Rob Peck