[comp.sys.amiga] Multiple terminal emulations

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (10/06/88)

A friend asks me:

I regularly use three different mainframes in my work at the same time.
I currently have three terminals in my office so that I can be logged in
to all three.  I frequently need to capture info from one, and re-enter it
to a program on another.

How can I do this with just ONE terminal on my desk?

******

I ruminate:  Well, you'll need a computer with three serial ports, and
the ability to run three simulatanous terminal emulation programs.
Built in cut and paste from screen to screen would be nice, but simple
data capture would probably do.  Likewise, real multi-tasking would
be nice, but multi-finder or TSR programs would do.

So.  Has anyone done this?    Please respond by EMAIL unless you
are sure that this will be interesting to all three newsgroups, or
trim you followup list.

Thanks ahead of time.

                       lee sailer

tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) (10/07/88)

:
:I regularly use three different mainframes in my work at the same time.
:I currently have three terminals in my office so that I can be logged in
:to all three.  I frequently need to capture info from one, and re-enter it
:to a program on another.
:
:How can I do this with just ONE terminal on my desk?

If this is an issue for more than just one or two people in your company,
I suggest you have your mainframe people look into AT&T's 6500 Multifunction
Communication System.  The 6544 Cluster Controller will allow for
simultaneous access to up to 3 synchronous hosts.  Using a 6539 windowing
terminal (3270-type, color, up to 4 windows simultaneous), you can be
automatically connected to all three of your mainframes.  The terminal
has a built-in "cut and paste" procedure which will allow you to get data
from one host screen and input it into another.

The 6500 system also supports the use of standard ASCII asynch terminals,
simultaneous connection to asynch hosts as well as synch hosts, and
has a plug-compatible option that will allow you to hook up those real
big blue 3270 devices.

Personal opinion: it's the best, most useful data product that AT&T sells.

Personal disclaimer:  Although I work as a consultant to AT&T's Data Systems
Group, I am an employee of Electronic Data Systems, *not* AT&T.

--
Tom Gillespie  ( ...att!picuxa!tgr) | (attmail!tgillespie) (201) 952-1178
AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center  299 Jefferson Rd. Parsippany NJ 07054

"Don't take life so serious ... it ain't nohow permanent."  -- Walt Kelly

fetrow@bones.stat.washington.edu (Dave Fetrow) (10/08/88)

In article <677@picuxa.UUCP> tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) writes:
>:
>:I regularly use three different mainframes in my work at the same time.
>:I currently have three terminals in my office so that I can be logged in
>:to all three.  I frequently need to capture info from one, and re-enter it
>:to a program on another.

 A cluster controller is not too bad an idea if a lot of folks have this same
problem but Falcon makes a nifty little windowing text terminal that connects
by 3 async ports. It does vt100, etc.

 Of course the "right" solution is a good PC (not necessarily MS-DOS) with 3
ports or (better still) a good network.

BITNET:   dfetrow@uwarita                            -- david d. fetrow --
UUCP:     uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow
INTERNET: fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu
(cond ((lovep you (quote LISP)) (honk)) (t nil))

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (10/10/88)

Then there's X 'terminals' ... you can cut/paste to/from xterm windows
fairly easily.  And since you keep saying 'mainframe', that probably
means you're in a high-speed-card-punch environment (i.e. IBM machines).
I'll let you in on a secret.  I've got a window somewhere on my screen
that is logged in to our IBM ...  If all our IBM's on campus had ether
and TCP/IP I'd be able to be logged into each one...

But you gotta, right now anyway, do it via a Unix machine & tn3270.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET