[comp.sys.amiga] Is Abel able?

paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (09/28/88)

 I would like to hear from anyone that has dealt with Abel Supply
in Tennesse. I would specifically like to know if you have had
any hassels with them and if so have they corrected any
problems that you had.
  I ask this because I am having ALOT of trouble getting certain
things straightened out with them.

  aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
       Trev

Trevor Paquette - GraphicsLand, U of Calgary[Home of The Great Train Rubbery]
Email:paquette@cpsc.UCalgary.CA                         ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
   Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. *** Don't worry, be happy

paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (09/29/88)

 I just realized that I put my OLD Email path in my message. I am including
the original message with this posting and my NEW mail path as well. This
should clear up some of the trouble that some of you may be having in
reaching me. Sorry for the inconvience.

 >  I would like to hear from anyone that has dealt with Abel Supply
 > in Tennesse. I would specifically like to know if you have had
 > any hassels with them and if so have they corrected any
 > problems that you had.
 >   I ask this because I am having ALOT of trouble getting certain
 > things straightened out with them.
 >
 >   aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
 >        Trev
 >
 >=============================================================================
 >Trevor Paquette - GraphicsLand, U of Calgary[Home of The Great Train Rubbery]
 >Email:paquette@cpsc.UCalgary.CA                         ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
 >   Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. *** Don't worry, be happy

 Note the NEW UUCP path below. Use the NEW one instead. Thanx.

Trevor Paquette - GraphicsLand, U of Calgary[Home of The Great Train Rubbery]
UUCP: ...!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette        ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
   Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. *** Don't worry, be happy

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/30/88)

I have dealt with Abel so many times I can't remember, I have only had 1 proble
m with all the order I have placed. They accidently shipped Telewars instead of
Telegames. I called and told them what happend, they shipped the correct title
out right away without waiting for the title I had... they told me to send it
in when I got a chance!!! That is the only problem that I have ever had!
And NOBODY beats (let alone matches) their prices.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (10/01/88)

	I, too, have been having problems recently with Abel.
	I ordered some software from them about a year ago and had no
problems at all.  This time has been a real pain in the patoot.  I
ordered DPaint II, FACC II, Deluxe Art Parts 1 and 2, FS II, and an
AmiGen all in one order, at the beginning of September and specified
UPS 2nd day air delivery.  I have not received delivery of any of
them yet.
	From what I can figure out, here are some of their problems:
	1.  They must have few items in stock.  They claim that they
have shipped the FS II (Sept 14) and the AmiGen (Sept 19).  They will
ship the other items, "when they are in stock".  I don't think any of
the listed items should be a special order, do you?
	2.  They don't have the ability to send orders as a single
shipment.  In my original order, I asked that they ship everything
together.  I received E-Mail from the Abel Sysop who advised me that
that really was not feasible.  He said that they had no way of
setting items apart for shipment together.  They just check
availability of items each day and ship what they have available.  If
I wanted it to come in a single order, it would wait until one day
when they happened to have EVERY item available on the SAME day.  (My
sense is that hell might freeze over first.)
	3.  They have very poor customer support these days.  I have
spent over $30.00 so far in long distance charges trying to find out
what is going on with my order.  I have left E-Mail enquiries and
have not received replies.  I have called voice.  They have taken my
daytime number, presumably to call me back with info.  I have not
heard back from them.  I have even been unable to get the UPS
shipping numbers for the items that have been shipped.  I can't have
UPS trace those items without the shipping numbers and Abel hasn't
come through with supplying them to me.
	The implication of all of this is that what started out to be
the cheapest way to order my software is quickly becoming much more
expensive.  Not only do I not have the items, I have big phone bills
and I will have multiple UPS shipping charges.
	Now here's the kicker....I just ordered a 60 Meg SCSI hard drive
system from them!  I can't believe myself sometimes.  (I can hear you
all snickering right now about somebody being born every minute.)

--
Ernie Gorrie
9431 McBurney Drive,

whitcomb@unicorn.Berkeley.EDU (Gregg Whitcomb) (10/01/88)

In article <9578@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

> I have dealt with Abel so many times I can't remember, I have only had 1 proble
> m with all the order I have placed. They accidently shipped Telewars instead of
> Telegames. I called and told them what happend, they shipped the correct title
> out right away without waiting for the title I had... they told me to send it
> in when I got a chance!!! That is the only problem that I have ever had!
> And NOBODY beats (let alone matches) their prices.
>
>           - Doug -
>
>  Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

I had just the opposite experience.  I've dealt with them once (and
it will probably be the last time).  I ordered about 5 items simultaneously
(digiview, stand, camera, etc).  They didn't have any of the items
in stock at the time, and thus the 2-day UPS was almost worthless.  Not
only that, as soon as a product arrives at their site, they send it
off.  This of course means that I paid 2-3 times the shipping costs
because my 5 item order arrived in 4 packages.   Of course, getting a
camera by itself is worthless.  Not only that, their product list
shows an item labelled "ABCD Parallel data switch" which I interpretted
to mean "compatible with the Amiga parellel DB25 port"... it wasn't.  It
was instead, a switchbox for Centronics cables---AACK!  I sent it back
immediately (about 1 1/2 MONTHS ago) and have not received the correct
item yet (on backorder, of course).

If you still think that the slightly better prices they offer are worth
the risk, I suggest that you confirm that the products are in stock
before ordering and double check that what they have in mind are what
you want... of course, the ordering people won't know a DB25 connector
from a Centronics so good luck.

-Gregg Whitcomb

BTW, I warned them when I returned the data switch that I'd be sending
this message out... it didn't seem to help me get the replacement
any faster.

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (10/02/88)

In article<6083@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> whitcomb@unicorn.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP writes:
>I had just the opposite experience.  I've dealt with them once (and
>it will probably be the last time).  I ordered about 5 items simultaneously
>(digiview, stand, camera, etc).  They didn't have any of the items
>in stock at the time, and thus the 2-day UPS was almost worthless.  Not
> [ . . . ]
>
>If you still think that the slightly better prices they offer are worth
>the risk, I suggest that you confirm that the products are in stock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>before ordering and double check that what they have in mind are what
>you want... of course, the ordering people won't know a DB25 connector
^^^^^^^^^^^
>from a Centronics so good luck.
>
>-Gregg Whitcomb

YES YES YES YES YES (etc.)  You should always do this, and not just with
Abel.  If you expect to get what you order in a hurry, you had *better*
ask the person on the phone to go and check that the item(s) in question is
in stock.  Then, tell him to check again.  Then, tell his manager to check.
Then, tell his mother.  Only if they all come back with "Yes, item x is
in stock, we have it now, if you order it now we can send it out tomorrow"
should you expect to get it within the next year.  This is a basic fact of
mail-ordering that I have learned from hard experience, and again, is not
specific to Abel.

As for the second point, I would personally consider it unwise to ever order
something on the basis of its name in the catalog (which, in Abel's case,
doesn't include an elaborate description or anything.)  It is incumbent on
you, the consumer, to research the products before you order.  If not,
you're asking for trouble.  I should also mention here that this particular
problem is not even specific to mail-order places; I know of many instances
where people bought items from stores, assured by the salesmen that they would
work with their setups, only to find that the salesmen were, shall we say,
"misinformed" (to put it extremely charitably).

Certainly, Abel deserves blame for giving poor customer service in this
instance.  However, I must say that I am not aware of a single cheap mail-order
place which has not had its share of screw-ups.  I for one have been happy
with Abel.  Golly, they are *cheap*.  I've saved enough money from buying
from them to pay for an awful lot of long-distance.

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "I think my cerebellum just  |
|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |      fused." - Calvin        |
.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/03/88)

From article <14@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, by paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette):
>  I would like to hear from anyone that has dealt with Abel Supply
> in Tennesse. I would specifically like to know if you have had
> any hassels with them and if so have they corrected any
> problems that you had.

Abel Supply has been plenty able in my book. Many moons ago I ordered
Facc, Firepower, and Alien Fires from them. One was in stock, the others
expected in 2-5 days. They arrived as promised over a week's time.

Recently I bought Microfiche Filer and a flickerFixer from them (two
seperate orders about 2 weeks apart). The software was in stock, and in
my hands within a week. The flickerFixer wasn't in stock. They told me
it would be 2-3 days to order it in. I told them to go ahead, and it was
in my hands within 10 days.

>   I ask this because I am having ALOT of trouble getting certain
> things straightened out with them.

Sorry to hear that, but they've done right by me.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (10/03/88)

Gregg,
 All That I can say is that I have ordered hundreds of times from Abel with
only the ONE small problem that I mentiond before! Infact, I ordered my ENTIRE
Digi-view system from them... it came in ONE LARGE box. And I always ask if it
is in stock, ALWAYS! And I ALWAYS get the truth out of Abel! Something that
Computer Mail Order loves to lie about!!
 As for a "Small Price Difference", Hardly! I have NOT seen anyone come close
to their prices, not even close! Sorry to hear that you are having troubles,
however, this has NOT been my, nor my friends enconter with Abel.
 I am in NO WAY connected with Abel Supply other than a VERY satisfied customer

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

Doug_B_Erdely%cup.portal.com@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com
Subject: Re: Is Abel able?
Date: 30 Sep 88 03:49:33 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

Ernie%egami.wimsey.bc.ca@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Ernie Gorrie <Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca>
Date: 30 Sep 88 20:54:20 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

    I, too, have been having problems recently with Abel.
    I ordered some software from them about a year ago and had no
problems at all.  This time has been a real pain in the patoot.  I
ordered DPaint II, FACC II, Deluxe Art Parts 1 and 2, FS II, and an
AmiGen all in one order, at the beginning of September and specified
UPS 2nd day air delivery.  I have not received delivery of any of
them yet.
    From what I can figure out, here are some of their problems:

whitcomb%unicorn.berkeley.edu@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Gregg Whitcomb <whitcomb@unicorn.berkeley.edu>
Date: 1 Oct 88 15:52:40 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

Doug_B_Erdely%cup.portal.com%UDEL.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: Doug_B_Erdely%cup.portal.com@UDEL.EDU
Date: 3 Oct 88 22:00:24 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From: Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com
Date: 30 Sep 88 03:49:33 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

blgardne%esunix.uucp@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: Blaine Gardner <blgardne@esunix.uucp>
Date: 2 Oct 88 21:22:24 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From article <14@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, by paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor
 Paquette):

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (10/06/88)

In article <14@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
>  I would like to hear from anyone that has dealt with Abel Supply
> in Tennesse. I would specifically like to know if you have had
> any hassels with them and if so have they corrected any
> problems that you had.
>   I ask this because I am having ALOT of trouble getting certain
> things straightened out with them.

I have ordered the ASDG RAM expansion, and several software titles,
from Abel Supply.  Everything arrived on time, without any problems or
delays.  Some orders I placed by voice/phone, others by logging onto
their BBS.  No problems with either method.

Of course, the products I ordered had been in stock and shipping for
some time.  If you're attempting to order a new product, I strongly
advise you not to order it until it's actually in stock.  If they
won't tell you if it's in stock, shop elsewhere.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

meyers@wybbs.UUCP (John Meyers) (10/08/88)

I don't think Abel is able. I placed an order on an in stock item, and it
took 3 months to receive it. When I finally got it, it was in a reused box.
(The shipping label was about 5 labels thick, with several other addresses
on the others.) The box was quite beat-up. Upon trial of the product, I
found that it wouldn't work with 1.2. I specificly ordered the Amiga 500
version of the product. (If there wasn't such a version, they should have
said something.) Well, I gave them a call, and they told me that it was my
fault that it only came in 1.1 and I shouldn't have ordered it. (You may
notice that the lists NOW contain special version information. Funny how
they added that after I started raising hell about their questionable
procedures.)
   Finally, they told me I could only get credit and not cash. Well, it is
real funny how they "don't have any listing about credit in my account."
It scares me to think that this place still has my credit card number on
file.

A nice place with pretty good prices and EXCELLENT service is Safe Harbor
in Wisconsin. 1-800-544-6599, or BBS at (414) 544-6567. I have yet to find
better service and support.

---
  __        ,                 |John Michael Meyers -> meyers@wybbs.UUCP
 (_/_ /     /)) _    _  _   _ |
 _/(//)/)  / / (-'(/(-'/ ' '-,|  "Make Mine /|
(/""""""""""""""(_/"""""""""" |            /-|MIGA!"

DISCLAIMER : I have no affiliation with Safe Harbor other than being
             a person quite impressed with the establishment.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (10/11/88)

MMM... I placed 2 different orders with Able last week and they both arrived
on time and in perfect condition. One place I would say to avoid is CREATIVE
COMPUTERS... I won't go into the gorry details... but this place and the owner
is a joke! The prices are actually pretty high to... so AVOID CREATIVE
COMPUTERS!!!!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com