[comp.sys.amiga] Execute bug with :T and T:

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (10/08/88)

Re creating RAM:T before using T:

This is definitely not the problem.  I've DiskZapped the Execute object
code, and the problem is that Execute insists on writing its temporary
files to :T/Command-0-Txx.

I tried fixing this by altering both instances of :T to T: in the
Execute program.  This almost worked.

After patching Execute, the script would still ask for the system disk
to be un-write-protected.  However, if I hit the Cancel button, the
system instead of bombing out of the script would continue from that
point and work fine.

So now my problem is how to patch Execute so it doesn't try to get a write
lock on the ":" disk.

I think I'll solve the problem by buying ARexx.
Or by buying 1.3 when it comes out.  I've heard they solved the problem
in that release.

Dan Hankins

ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (10/11/88)

In article <9840@cup.portal.com>, dan-hankins@cup.portal.com writes:
> After patching Execute, the script would still ask for the system disk
> to be un-write-protected.  However, if I hit the Cancel button, the
> system instead of bombing out of the script would continue from that
> point and work fine.
>
> So now my problem is how to patch Execute so it doesn't try to get a write
> lock on the ":" disk.
>
> Dan Hankins

Maybe I'm missing something subtle here, but why not just do a CD RAM:
before you Execute the sub-batch file? I just tried it, and it seems to
work fine. And it'll create your ram disk for you quicker than DIR >NIL: RAM:
will as well :-)
--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard     | "You haven't lived
INTER: mcvax!ukc!cs.tcd.ie!csvax1!ecarroll@uunet.uu.net |  until you've died

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (10/13/88)

In article <18672@cs.tcd.ie> ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) writes:

>Maybe I'm missing something subtle here, but why not just do a CD RAM:
>before you Execute the sub-batch file? I just tried it, and it seems to
>work fine. And it'll create your ram disk for you quicker than DIR >NIL: RAM:
>will as well :-)

Yes, I'm afraid you did miss something subtle.  I want my directory
assignment to remain SYS: when I exit from the first-level Execute script.
I tried what you suggested;  but instead of leaving the directory
assignment at RAM: when I finish with the second-level scripts, I did the
following:

     cd RAM:
     execute script-1
     execute script-2
     cd SYS:

When the first-level script finished, Execute tried to delete Command-0-Txx
from the current disk, as in :T/Command-0-Txx.  I hit CANCEL on the
requester, and the script finished quietly.

I'll just wait for 1.3.

Dan Hankins