[comp.sys.amiga] comp.sources/binaries groups

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (09/28/88)

I hate to bring this up, but I don't think anyone should send anything
off to comp.sources.amiga and comp.binaries.amiga.  Why?
Because it must be going into a black hole.  When I FTP'd over there,
the newest date was september 8.  That includes the submissions (untested)
directory (which is locked anyway.)  Also, nothing has been posted in
many weeks, and it doesn't look like it's going to.  This isn't meant to be
a flame on the moderators or anything, but they should really turn the job
over to someone who has a lot of time they are willing to devote to the
job.  It takes a really dedicated Newsaholic for this :-)  They had been
doing a good job until interest dropped off...

So, if you feel that you would still like to see amiga sources on the net,
we hav to do something about it, whether its unmoderating the groups
or getting a new moderator(s).  I would like to see the groups unmoderated,
but I can see problems with lots of people submitting large things at the
same time and blowing away spool directories all over the country.

In the meantime, what are we going to do?  I suggest that we Temporarily
have sources posted to comp.sys.amiga until the moderated groups are
back up and running.  Sure, screem and rave that comp.sys isn't the place
for it, but the alternative is nothing at all.  How about only posting
small items, and put larger (>4 parts) on FTP sites and requested by
email?  Most of us wanted the moderated groups, and now they are sitting
idle.  Any other suggestions / flames?

If you email me I'll post a followup on what peoples opinions are on this.

Walt

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/02/88)

In article <1413@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
> In the meantime, what are we going to do?  I suggest that we Temporarily
> have sources posted to comp.sys.amiga until the moderated groups are
> back up and running.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Send stuff to alt.sources.amiga. If it doesn't get to you, I'm sorry. I can't
control that. It will, apparently, get to more people than comp.sources.amiga.
If too much stuff comes in I may have to start posting stuff without test-
compiling it, but I'll try to get it out.

I am no longer willing to moderate comp.sources.amiga full time. Not because
it's too much work, but because after all the acrimony about it I've gone off
the whole thing.

If you really need to get stuff out to many many people, there's still
fishpond!fnf. Or if you need more speed, alt.sources is unmoderated.

But posting code to comp.sys.amiga is a BAD idea. It's even worse than other BAD
ideas like forging postings to comp.sources.amiga.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (10/04/88)

In article <2728@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <1413@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
> > In the meantime, what are we going to do?  I suggest that we Temporarily
> > have sources posted to comp.sys.amiga until the moderated groups are
> > back up and running.
>
> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
> Send stuff to alt.sources.amiga. If it doesn't get to you, I'm sorry. I can't

 What about those of us who do not get any of the alt groups??? oh well.. I guess
we are left out in the cold..

Trevor Paquette - GraphicsLand, U of Calgary[Home of The Great Train Rubbery]
UUCP: ...!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette        ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
   Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. *** Don't worry, be happy

ncreed%ndsuvax.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Walter Reed <ncreed@ndsuvax.uucp>
Subject: comp.sources/binaries groups
Date: 28 Sep 88 01:39:25 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

d85_kitte@tekn01.chalmers.se (Kristian Wedberg) (10/08/88)

In article <2728@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Send stuff to alt.sources.amiga. If it doesn't get to you, I'm sorry. I can't
> control that. It will, apparently, get to more people than comp.sources.amiga.

Ok, maybe posting code in comp.sys.amiga is a bad idea. I don't know if
alt.sources.amiga reaches more people than comp.sources.amiga, but I do
know that it doesn't reach my part of the world.

How about posting things both to alt... and comp.{sources/binaries}.amiga?
That way, everybody (?) gets it, some faster, some slower.

> 		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
> 		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

                Kristian Wedberg       d85_kitte@tekn01.chalmers.se
                 Can't compete          with that one!

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/10/88)

In article <228@tekn01.chalmers.se>, d85_kitte@tekn01.chalmers.se (Kristian Wedberg) writes:
> How about posting things both to alt... and comp.{sources/binaries}.amiga?
> That way, everybody (?) gets it, some faster, some slower.

I suggested this, and the comp moderators, with some justification I
might add, pointed out that this would double the load on the net. They
stated they will not accept anything that has been posted to:

	alt.sources.amiga
	comp.sys.amiga
	comp.sys.amiga.tech

I'm not convinced by this argument, since they have in the past broken
this rule... presumably depending on the quality of the software. But
it's there and it's their perogative to impose whatever restrictions
the like.

This is not to say you shouldn't send it to me, just warning you that
multiple submissions may cause problems.

On another track... does anyone in Europe get alt.anything?
--

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/10/88)

.
.Ok, maybe posting code in comp.sys.amiga is a bad idea. I don't know if
.alt.sources.amiga reaches more people than comp.sources.amiga, but I do
.know that it doesn't reach my part of the world.
.
.How about posting things both to alt... and comp.{sources/binaries}.amiga?
.That way, everybody (?) gets it, some faster, some slower.
.
.> 		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
.> 		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?
.
.                Kristian Wedberg       d85_kitte@tekn01.chalmers.se
.                 Can't compete          with that one!

Does alt.sources.amiga reach Europe at all? It doesn't reach
Sweden for sure, we are the backbone. If anyone in Europe gets
it, please tell me.

If enough people in Europe wants alt.sources.amiga, and enough
of them says so (perhaps in eunet.general ?), it may come here.

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (10/10/88)

In article <2779@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>I suggested this, and the comp moderators, with some justification I
>might add, pointed out that this would double the load on the net. They
>stated they will not accept anything that has been posted to:
>
>	alt.sources.amiga
>	comp.sys.amiga
>	comp.sys.amiga.tech
>
>		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net

So what?  It really doesn't appear that they are "accepting" very
much of anything these days, or at least if they are, it's not
coming back out.

   Seriously, the drought of stuff coming out of
comp.{source|binaries}.amiga is getting serious.  I appreciate the
problems of work load and not being able to get through stuff, but
come on, guys.  If you can't or don't want to take on the burden anymore,
then let's say so and either call for volunteers or make the groups
unmoderated.

   For my part, I'd rather see them stay moderated.  I've looked at
other unmoderated sources groups, and I think the quality is better here.
BUT, if it's a choice of having it unmoderated, or not having anything
in the group for lack of moderators time, then let's unmoderate it.

   Peter, you made a comment a short while ago to the effect that
you were no longer interested in moderating it because of the negative
reaction you got when you volunteered before.  I think that if you reflected
on the circumstances, you might find them different now than they were
before.  I, for one, would like to encourage you to reconsider.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/11/88)

In article <146@dms3b1.UUCP>, dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) wants me to
moderate comp.sources.amiga...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not getting into this morass
again. Really, I find altnet quit comfortable.

Anyway, let's see what the major moderators have to say. There's undoubtedly
some reason for the latest drought. I'm sure they'll drop in any day now and
let us in on it.
--

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (10/14/88)

In article <2728@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1413@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
>> In the meantime, what are we going to do?  I suggest that we Temporarily
>> have sources posted to comp.sys.amiga until the moderated groups are
<<> back up and running.
<<
<<Send stuff to alt.sources.amiga. If it doesn't get to you, I'm sorry. I can't
<<control that. It will, apparently, get to more people than comp.sources.amiga.
<<If too much stuff comes in I may have to start posting stuff without test-
<<compiling it, but I'll try to get it out.
<<
<<I am no longer willing to moderate comp.sources.amiga full time. Not because
<<it's too much work, but because after all the acrimony about it I've gone off
<<the whole thing.

OK, then, what must you have to be able to moderate comp.binaries.amiga?

I could do it, I think.  I have a fairly dependable net-connection, I have
access to tape storage, and I have a strong desire to keep the stuff moving.
On the Amiga side, I have a 1 meg A500 with NEC multisysnc and two drives.
I'd store the files on my Sun workstation (plenty of room, besides, I can get
more space if need be.)

I've been on the net for about a year and I'm President of a local user group

I have a Manx C compiler (not the latest version, yet) but no lattice, so I
don't think I could handle comp.sources.

Comments, flames, advice all welcome.  Thanks.
	Lawrence H. Brown
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (?)
Phone: (918-660-4389) 24 hrs, voice. USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145
"No.  Amiga is not dead.  Hell, it's not even tired."---Leo L. Schwab

In article <2787@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <146@dms3b1.UUCP>, dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) wants me to
>moderate comp.sources.amiga...
>
>Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not getting into this morass
>again.

OK, then.  What say I try a crack at it? huh?
Would I have to moderate both sources & binaries or could I do just
the binaries and have another work the sources?

One thing I will guarantee up front:  If I blow it and/or can't do it
anymore I *will* let everyone know first, instead of just one day
suddenly becoming /dev/null.