[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS 1.3 and C

pa1039@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1039) (10/12/88)

I would like to use the PD C compilers, PDC and cc68k, to write some
C programs, but I don't have any standard libraries (i.e. stdio, math
etc).  I was told that these libraries are included with the
developer's version of 1.3?  Is this true?  If so, how do I obtain
it?  I'd like to know before I purchase 1.3.  Thank you.

			\/inh |_e

ldh90267@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/88)

Written  1:55 pm  Oct 11, 1988 by pa1039@sdcc15.UUCP in comp.sys.amiga:
/* ---------- "AmigaDOS 1.3  and  C" ---------- */
> I would like to use the PD C compilers, PDC and cc68k, to write some
> C programs, but I don't have any standard libraries (i.e. stdio, math
> etc).  I was told that these libraries are included with the
> developer's version of 1.3?  Is this true?  If so, how do I obtain
> it?  I'd like to know before I purchase 1.3.  Thank you.
/* End of text from comp.sys.amiga */

(Paul Petersen and I have been putting major enhancements into a freely
 distributable C programming package based originally on Fish Disk #110.
 PDC release 3.1 was distributed at AmiExpo/Midwest.)

PDC release 3.2 now includes stdio, floating-point math, string and various
other libraries/headers to bring it pretty close to ANSI C.  It is available
for anonymous FTP at:

		192.5.69.1	a.cs.uiuc.edu uiucdcs uiucdcsa

Or, you can send me a SASM with three disks (If you prefer, I'll provide the
disks for $2 apiece) and I will mail the most recent release to you.

If it's Amiga-specific headers and libraries you're after, you can order the
Native Developer's Update from CATS (more information at end of posting).

Our next release (3.3) ought to be done within a month or so.  Paul's beating
on some bugs that cropped up in the code for handling precompiled symbol table
information (!!).  I'm adding some new tools, improving some old ones, writing
a little useful documentation, and making 'cc' Workbench runable for the WIMPs
who want to try (tie?) their hands with C.

		< Lionel "my watch has an AReXX port" Hummel
----------

Lionel Hummel					404 W. High St., #6
ldh90267@uiucuxa.cso.uiuc.edu			Urbana, IL  61801
{seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxa!ldh90267		(H)  (217)344-5303
Dept. of Computer Science			(W)  (217)333-7408

------------------------------
The following information comes from carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP:

1. Buying Includes for personal use

ANYONE can purchase current include files from CATS as Native Developer
Update ($20).  What we have right now is 1.2 Native Developer Update.
Soon will have 1.3 Native Developer Update.  Usually is a 4-disk set.
   - Readmes
   - Autodocs
   - Commented Includes
   - Stripped includes + Amiga.lib, Debug.lib, fd's, offsets. startups, etc.

Ordering instructions:

   Check for $20 US ($25 if outside US) made out to Commodore Business
Machines.  Ask for 1.2 Native Developer Update (or 1.3 Native Developer
Update which should be available in a few weeks).

Mail to
   CATS - Orders
   Lauren Brown
   CBM
   1200 Wilson Drive
   West Chester, PA  19380
   USA

2. Licensing Includes

   No Commodore product may be licensed for free or PD distribution.
We can only license to sole distributors who have FULL CONTROL over
the packaging, labeling, and distibution of their product.  The licensee is
responsible putting our copyrights on the labels, etc.

------------------------------ End of excerpt - LDH

In article <111400005@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ldh90267@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
|(Paul Petersen and I have been putting major enhancements into a freely
| distributable C programming package based originally on Fish Disk #110.
| PDC release 3.1 was distributed at AmiExpo/Midwest.)
|
|PDC release 3.2 now includes stdio, floating-point math, string and various
|other libraries/headers to bring it pretty close to ANSI C.  It is available
|for anonymous FTP at:
|
|		192.5.69.1	a.cs.uiuc.edu uiucdcs uiucdcsa

Why not create the library stubs "automatically" by a single program that
"reads" .fd files and produces the corresponding assembly source?
Would that violate CBM copyrights?  Then we'd finally be able to run GCC,
which is satlled for that particular reason (and the lack of PD stdio, etc...).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/15/88)

In article <12795@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> Why not create the library stubs "automatically" by a single program that
> "reads" .fd files and produces the corresponding assembly source?
> Would that violate CBM copyrights?  Then we'd finally be able to run GCC,
> which is satlled for that particular reason (and the lack of PD stdio, etc...).

The program to do this has been posted in alt.sources.amiga. It's downloadable
from uunet:

alt.sources.amiga index.

Size	Posted	File Name	Description.

37162	Jul 13	bind.shar.Z	Convert .fd files to libraries. Bill Barton.

It actually goes all the way to libraries, but it's table-driven so it can
probably generate the calling-sequence you want.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?