[comp.sys.amiga] 2090A + ST277N

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mouseslayer by trade) (10/12/88)

Well, with egar shacking hands I unpacked my shiny new 2090A and seagate
ST277N yesterday.  And am happy to say that the installation procedure
went flawlessly.  I now have a REAL computer, it even does fast directorys.:-)
However all is not bright on the horizon, on the 2090A addendum it states
the following:
"You cannot autoboot with a Seagate SCSI hard drive and an A2090A Controller
Card because of the long initialization process in the Seagate power-up
sequence."

I wish that I had known this before I purchased my ST277N (which by the
way I got for $441.00 from Hard Drives International).

What I am hoping is that "power-up sequence" means you can't boot on power
up, but after the drive has finished it's power on sequence, you can reboot
and then boot.  I can't check yet, because I didn't get the 1.3 Roms I
ordered from CATS.

A side note, I don't know is this stuff is actually available to the general
public, I ordered it via the CATS developer program.
        Don
Don R Withey                    BITNET: AXDRW@ALASKA.BITNET
University of Alaska            BIX:    dwithey
3211 U.A.A. Drive
Anchorage, Alaska  99508
907-786-4851 (work) 907-277-9063 (home) 907-274-6378 (other home)
Any expressed opinion is my own and in no way represent those of my employer,
the University of Alaska.

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (10/13/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 12-Oct-88 2090A + ST277N Mouseslayer*
> *by trade@cun (1437)*
> However all is not bright on the horizon, on the 2090A addendum it states
> the following:
> "You cannot autoboot with a Seagate SCSI hard drive and an A2090A Controller
> Card because of the long initialization process in the Seagate power-up
> sequence."

Is this a problem specific to the A2090A controller, or will all SCSI
controllers have this problem with a Segate drive?

On a related note...does anybody have good things to say about the Pacific
Peripherals Overdrive?  It seems to be the least expensive DMA SCSI controller
of the bunch, and I would like to know how well it compares with the GVP Impact
and A2090A.

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (10/13/88)

In article <4783@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mouseslayer by trade) writes:
>Well, with egar shacking hands I unpacked my shiny new 2090A and seagate
>ST277N yesterday.  And am happy to say that the installation procedure
>went flawlessly.  I now have a REAL computer, it even does fast directorys.:-)
>However all is not bright on the horizon, on the 2090A addendum it states
>the following:
>"You cannot autoboot with a Seagate SCSI hard drive and an A2090A Controller
>Card because of the long initialization process in the Seagate power-up
>sequence."

>What I am hoping is that "power-up sequence" means you can't boot on power
>up, but after the drive has finished it's power on sequence, you can reboot
>and then boot.  I can't check yet, because I didn't get the 1.3 Roms I
>ordered from CATS.

The autoboot problem with Seagate SCSI drives refers to power-up, as the
statement reads. Warm boots will work.
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (10/16/88)

In article <> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>On a related note...does anybody have good things to say about the Pacific
>Peripherals Overdrive?  It seems to be the least expensive DMA SCSI controller
>of the bunch, and I would like to know how well it compares with the GVP Impact
>and A2090A.

I can relate some experiences. about 2 months ago I needed to hook up
a maxtor 3380 scsi drive. These drive are being blown out right now while
maxtor gears up with some faster hardware. The drive I have is a
300mbyte formated, 27 msec ave access time.

I tried several controllers. The first one I had access to was the 2090a
of course, it would not work. The prep would come back ok but when I
rebooted, the first partition was not in the mountlist. I tried several
combinations of sectors,heads, etc to no avail.

So I went to HT Electronics in Sunnyvale, ready to buy the best board they
had that would work with the maxtor. I knew they had GVP boards there and
I had heard good things about it as well as I knew some people at GVP.
However we were unsuccessful getting that board to work. I say we because
I now had a group at HT really interested in seeing this 3380 run.

Thad F. had his running on some other controller attached to his a1000.
I think he had a Cltd controller. But they did not have any controllers
there for my 2000. We then tried the pacific peripherals card, and after
picking a close enough looking drive from their drive table, it came
right up.

When I got home, I played with it for awhile and then decided to repartition
it. and it stopped working. I went to Pacific Peripherals up in Fremont
and Lee helped me right out, I think my problem is I had put the
scsi connector on upside down. I was feeling dumb.

Since then I've been very happy, until I went to amiexpo. The good people
of Micropolis (thanks Gayle) loaned me a couple of drives for my X system
that I was going to be demonstrating. These were 320 mbyte 5 1/4" full
heights like the 3380 I had but where 18 msec ave access time instead of
27 msec. My other trouble with the maxtor 3380 was with a sun3, but that
is a whole nother story.

Any way, the new micropolis, fresh out of the packing material came up
instantly on the sun3, and the 2nd one worked on the 2090a board, once
I got the switches set right.

I expect the micropolis to work fine on the pacific peripherals board as
well but I have not tried it yet. I'm not really sure that board does
dma since pm shows the system floored when I do lots of copies, this
does not occur with the 2090a as I recall.

>"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

hee hee

--
Dale Luck     Boing, Inc. {uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}|!amiga!boing!dale
Although I do contract work for Amiga-LosGatos, my opinions probably